Magic Item Request - Build me a cutlass

Morrow

First Post
I've got a Bard/ Freeport Pirate in the game I DM who has suffered through 11 levels of advancement during which time I have cruely refused to provide him with any opportunity to acquire a decent weapon. That time has passed. Help a poor DM out and design a cutlass that will blow his socks off, yet stay within the wealth guidelines for an 11th level character. Something that will up his damage output would certainly make him smile. Beyond that go wild.

Morrow

Morrow

First Post
blargney the second said:
What kind of character? Classes, feats, etc.

CN half-elf Bard 7/ Freeport Pirate 4
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 7, Cha 18
Feats: Dodge, Martial Weapon Focus (cutlass), Weapon Focus (cutlass), Weapon Finesse, Greater Weapon Focus (cutlass). That last one is a Freeport Pirate bonus feat.

His attack bonus, armor class, and hit points are pretty good so he can hold his own in melee. Unfortunately with a Str of 11 and the Freeport Pirate prestige class pushing him into using a mechanically uninspiring weapon, his damage output is awful.

nightfall said:
+1 cutlass.

There's it was better than before with no good cutlass.

Smart guy.

Morrow

Ilium

First Post
Just sticking with core you can't go wrong with elemental damage add-ons (flaming or whatever) and Holy. If the character is good, Holy is just the bestest thing ever.

EDIT: Simultaneous post. He's CN so Holy's probably not the best choice.

Morrow

First Post
Ilium said:
Just sticking with core you can't go wrong with elemental damage add-ons (flaming or whatever) and Holy. If the character is good, Holy is just the bestest thing ever.

EDIT: Simultaneous post. He's CN so Holy's probably not the best choice.

Well, the character is good-curious (largely held back by periodic displays of moral flexibility and the bad influence of his companions), so Holy wouldn't be thematically inappropriate. I just can't see anyone making a holy cutlass.

szilard said:
How much do you want the thing to cost, max?

What is this character's general fighting style?

-Stuart

Well, at this point the most powerful magic weapon in the party, the fighter's falchion, is worth about 20,000 gp. That's nearly a third of an 11th level characters expected wealth. Consider that the absolute max I'm looking for.

Typically his combat strategy involves cat's grace and sometimes alter self to up his AC and attack bonus (with Weapon Finesse) if there is time, then inspire courage (coupled with inspirational boost from Complete Adventurer) on the first round of combat. Sometimes his first attack will be a shot from his pistol. After that it is just tumbling into melee and whacking things with his cutlass.

Morrow

IcyCool

First Post
How about a +1 Parrying Collision Cutlass? +1 to hit, grants a +1 bonus to AC (can't remember the type of bonus), and +6 to damage. It doesn't look like he needs help in the to-hit department, so something that just cranks his damage ought to be helpful. If you have enough room, stack in keen.

Remove ads