D&D General Magic item traders, cursed items, and hapless buyers or shoplifters

Wow, wow, wow,

The trouble for the trader is, if the character finds out (and they normally will) that they've been duped, they'd likely seek retribution.
I can tell you from experience that a good HALF of players and their characters will be 100% clueless.

If your not a "fan" of the players, and just tell them somehow, they will likely not figure it out.

But then too....let them find out. The trader guy that makes/has made cursed items has plenty of defenses.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Making cursed items would be all kinds of illegal considering how quickly and easily magic items change hands in the Death World most D&D worlds are.

They're basically landmines that can go off multiple times.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm sure that works but, otherwise, a character might just try cuddling up to an item in case it's magical.

Basic rules say that: "... a character can focus on one magic item during a short rest, while being in physical contact with the item. At the end of the rest, the character learns the item’s properties, as well as how to use them..." Presumably, if the item isn't magical, the character gets to know it.
Well, I'm an outlier, I don't use that rule and use a more 1E/2E process for players to discover if an item is magical. A character who sleeps in contact with a magical item might have a dream giving them a clue about it, but its not a given - especially if they were attempting to do it to "end around" the normal rules for my game.

Making cursed items would be all kinds of illegal considering how quickly and easily magic items change hands in the Death World most D&D worlds are.

Well, 5E down plays it...but a lot more classic D&D had both dangerous and harmful magic items. A lot of powerful items came with a curse or a drawback.

And it would only be "illegal" in a good and lawful place that had a lot of specific magic law. So, depending on a game setting, it might not be too common.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Curse: Feed. The magic item does give a cool boost, but "requires" some set value of items to "eat"...
I dropped something like this on a party once: I forget what the item was or did, but it was quite useful; the only problem was that every time it was used it quietly ate up nearby coins and gems to the tune of several hundred g.p. worth each time, and the PCs didn't realize it. When they finally did notice the lightening of their belt pouches it took them a while - and a lot of paranoia - to realize that no, they weren't being robbed at every turn and that it was in fact the item that was draining their funds.

greg kaye

Explorer

... And it would only be "illegal" in a good and lawful place that had a lot of specific magic law. So, depending on a game setting, it might not be too common.
Perhaps, though, the shopkeep's opposition of crime might be the most lawful thing they could do. In fact, with the effort involved in making an item to oppose thievery, these actions might mainly be supported in the most lawful of places.

Maybe "landmines" in extreme cases but, multiple times? Well, that might depend on any potential to track the items. I was thinking that locate object might be used but, if things got more fanatical, something like a variation of Scrying that could view a familiar object, or its possessor, could be used.

At a lower scale than landmines:
... something ... with ... a simple prestidigitation magic to constantly alert others to the person's presence (or anything else that would have a parallel effect to exploding paint kept in bank vaults);
this could be more paintball than bullets.

Celebrim

Legend
Why would you take identify other than to check if items have curses?

Play some Nethack and then get back to me on how powerful Identify is even after you've Altar tested an item to check for 'black flash' and curses.

Why would others bother to make items with curses?

Cursed items are actually extremely powerful. Think about the poisoned apple in Snow White. Depending on the item, a cursed item may be a powerful way to debuff or kill an enemy with low risk. It's like asking, "Why would someone create a trap?"

But beyond that, probably a lot of cursed items aren't created on purpose. They are created as the result of magic spells and rituals going wrong. They are created as the result of powerful beings being wrathful or spiteful toward mortals for whatever reason. They are created as the result of particularly terrible deeds.

In regard to the first case I think that, within a context like a session zero, it would be fair for a forming character to make an arcana check to evaluate the prevalence of cursed items and similar within a gaming world (but it may also be fair to say that general prevalence in a world may not be the same as prevalence on a particular adventure).

No GM should ever be playing "gotcha". Ever PC should understand how the world they live in works. But there is no way to cover everything in session zero. You have to come up with ways to build understanding in the players either by passing them lore as needed or else by easing them into the problem - the first cursed item a new group finds should be a relatively minor problem.

So a shopkeep has magic item/s. Perhaps the item/s are kept behind a thick stone wall, in a heavy metal box or in a lighter one made of lead or perhaps they're buried.

How society deal with magical scoundrels and high-level characters generally is a complex question with campaign specific answers.

What are the types of items that shopkeeps might have produced?

One of the most common magical devices in my setting are scales that shopkeepers use which chime whenever something magical is placed on the scale. These use only very low-level magic (0th level spells) and as such are relatively inexpensive to manufacture and are kept and cared for by shopkeepers for generations. There are also feats in my campaign that make items that only require 0th level spells cheaper to make and a variety of spells that effectively create simple defenses without needing high level support (like Permanency).

Expensive magic items are generally not available for sell in my campaign world, and even something like a sword +1 is never just lying on some shopkeeper's shelf. The few artisans that could make a sword +1 or shield +1 only do so on commission with payment in advance and deliver the weapon shortly after completing it. So to a large extent the entire situation you describe doesn't exist in my world. There just isn't magic lying around waiting to be stolen.

And the few organizations that do deal in magic items have entire divine cults and nations as primary customers, and consequently are not only extremely powerful themselves but have extremely powerful patrons that will be upset if their trusted supplier has problems.

But let's say there is a jeweler, or a goldsmith, or an alchemist with a half-dozen potions for sale, each of which is worth a year's wages for a common laborer. He can protect them with trained dogs or other beasts, curtains of beads or bells over doors that thwart invisible intruders, paid guards or watchmen, multiple layers of locks, and simple physical barriers such as second floor rooms reached only by trapdoors where the guard pulls the ladder up behind him and bolts the trapdoor. He can have gongs, horns to blow, or bells that can be rung to alert neighbors who will collectively turn out to defend their town against thieves. In a world where low level super-villains can commit robbery, you don't have the same security as in a world with no super-villains. That's usually the biggest problem.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Play some Nethack and then get back to me on how powerful Identify is even after you've Altar tested an item to check for 'black flash' and curses.
Yep - I draw all kinds of inspiration from old-school rogue-likes. :)
No GM should ever be playing "gotcha". Ever PC should understand how the world they live in works.
Even with that understanding, there's still many a time and place for gotcha.
Expensive magic items are generally not available for sell in my campaign world, and even something like a sword +1 is never just lying on some shopkeeper's shelf. The few artisans that could make a sword +1 or shield +1 only do so on commission with payment in advance and deliver the weapon shortly after completing it. So to a large extent the entire situation you describe doesn't exist in my world. There just isn't magic lying around waiting to be stolen.
There's a very obvious exception to that, based on just the short summary you give here, and that's all the items commissioned over the years through said artisans and then never picked up on completion because the customer has gone adventuring and died in the meantime. Eventually those unclaimed items accumulate.....

Other than this, however, I always assume most magic item sales happen due to:

--- private individuals who have made contact through word-of-mouth or go-betweens
--- adventuring parties returning to town and unloading items they don't need or want
--- estate sales of the collections of retired adventurers or nobility who have died either without a will or without descendants
--- someone selling off a lesser version of an item they now have a better one of
--- an artisan or artificer has made something on spec, without a specific pre-order

Remove ads