• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic item upgrades--what cost?

Finglas

Explorer
Hey, this may be an easy one, or not--let's say I have a +1 sword, and want to make it a +3 sword. The way I calculate it, the +1 cost 2000 gp, and a +3 is 18000, so I would have to come up with 16000 gp. Is that right? I've also heard, no, you pay the whole 18000 gp, same as if it was a new masterwork weapon you wanted to enchant; the opposite argument, which I've also heard, is you pay 8000 gp, since you're adding +2. The last one I am pretty confident is wrong, but what's the real deal?

hammymchamham

First Post
you pay 16,000 to enhance a magic weapon from a +1 to a +3. Its just the difference from your current weapon state to a new one.

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
You are correct, you pay the difference between the two costs.

Note, however, the DM is free to introduce the issue of bargaining for the price, and you may pay more or less, depending on the bargaining skill of your PC, versus the individual doing the upgrading. :)

Remove ads