• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Use & Class abilites.

Amatiel

Explorer
Recently in one of my games a player came up with the idea that he could use his class abilities when using his magical wand. He is a Sorcerer, with the Sea Archetype from UA. His argument was that he could use his bonus lightning damage when using a wand of lightning bolts. As far as I am aware you cannot use class abilities in conjunction with magical items. Also, how does the curse of the sea work ?
You cast shocking grasp on someone and they become cursed until the end of your next turn. Can you then immediately trigger the curse to cause +Cha lightning damage on the same turn. It doesn't list an action for this use so I assume it is a free action?

Curse of the Sea

When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse.

When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a different creature with this feature.

Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends if the spell isn’t a cantrip (you choose the effect to use if more than one effect applies):

Lightning Damage.

If the affected target takes lightning damage from your spell, the target takes additional lightning damage equal to your Charisma modifier

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
If a magic item lets you cast a spell, then you are actually casting it. If you have a class feature that applies when you cast a spell, then it applies.

Also, how does the curse of the sea work ?
You cast shocking grasp on someone and they become cursed until the end of your next turn. Can you then immediately trigger the curse to cause +Cha lightning damage on the same turn. It doesn't list an action for this use so I assume it is a free action?

[/SIZE]Curse of the Sea

When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse.

When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a different creature with this feature.

Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends if the spell isn’t a cantrip (you choose the effect to use if more than one effect applies):

Lightning Damage.

If the affected target takes lightning damage from your spell, the target takes additional lightning damage equal to your Charisma modifier

I believe that in the wording of the ability, "spell", and "cantrip" are meant to indicate two different things. So even though Shocking Grasp deals lightning damage, it can't activate the second part of the curse because its a cantrip, not a spell.

Satyrn

First Post
Can you then immediately trigger the curse to cause +Cha lightning damage on the same turn. It doesn't list an action for this use so I assume it is a free action?
My answers are no and yes.

No: It looks to me like the intent is that you cast the cantrip and influct the curse, then have to cast another spell to deal the bonus damage.

Yes: Free action, or really just something that happens as part of casting the spell.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I believe that in the wording of the ability, "spell", and "cantrip" are meant to indicate two different things. So even though Shocking Grasp deals lightning damage, it can't activate the second part of the curse because its a cantrip, not a spell.

Not sure I agree with that. A cantrip is for sure a spell. Plus it says that the curse only ends if the spell is not a cantrip.

So it looks to me like it should be:
Round 1: cast shocking grasp, apply curse
Round 2: use wand of lightning. Trigger curse, dealing +Cha damage. The curse ends.

But I would not let you apply the curse damage in round 1, since the curse isn't in effect until after your cantrip hits.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer

A cantrip is a Level 0 spell for the purposes of mechanics.

Remove ads