• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items... I dont get em

Zsig

Explorer
mwvdveld said:
a little numbercrunching gives me:
(lvl 3, duelist +1) + (lvl 3, flaming +1) - X times Inherent magic
bonus = new magic weapon level = lvl 5 --> +1000GP

That sounds about right (and i was actually thinking about that). Though, what would you do if the new item lvl would go beyond the item bonus "treshold"?

For example:
Lightning Weapon +1 (lvl 5)
Duelist's Weapon +1 (lvl 3)

Adding both together would create a "Duelist's Lightining Weapon +1" (lvl 7)

The only problem is that a lvl 7 magic item is supposed to be +2, it's not +1 anymore. So what? Make it +2 then?

You can't do that because then it would be too powerful compared to other weapons (for example a Duelist's Weapon +2 is already lvl 8, how come a Duelist's Lightining +2 be lvl 7?)

Even though it's not difficult to "numbercrunch" as you said, there are still some things to consider

Oh, and btw Flaming is lvl 5 not lvl 3, but I got your point.

malraux

First Post
comotose4 said:
That is where the DM can step in and say "Nope you cant find any. Sorry. You have just what I have given you. thats it."
Even then, assuming you follow the treasure guidelines, characters are going to end up with a bunch of lower level items. And saying that its impossible to find a few level-5 items is somewhat unrealistic.

mwvdveld

First Post
Zsig said:
The only problem is that a lvl 7 magic item is supposed to be +2, it's not +1 anymore. So what? Make it +2 then?

You can't do that because then it would be too powerful compared to other weapons (for example a Duelist's Weapon +2 is already lvl 8, how come a Duelist's Lightining +2 be lvl 7?)

Well, I would just keep it a lvl 7, +1 duelist's lightning weapon... why bump up the inherent magic bonus ? Dont forget we end up
with a weapon that does +1d6 lightning, +1d6/1d8 dueling damage on a succesfull crit (this is slightly better than a normal +2 magic weapon -lvl6- and a bit less powerfull then a +2 dueling weapon -lvl:cool: the fact that you have to live with a +1 inherent magic bonus is not that bad, especially when you look at the extra powers you get...

Staffan

Legend
comotose4 said:
So basicly if you have 5 items (between your 3 main slots and your other secondary slots) and you are level 12, you can only use 2 of those and if you hit 1 milestone you can use 3. I have a problem with having an item and being forced to choose which one to use. I mean alot of the items for like the head slot, arm slot, etc... etc... are worthless if you dont have acess to the power.

One of the most common complaints about 3e was that characters looked like magic items christmas trees. This is an attempt to fix that. You can still get the basic bonuses from your three main items, plus daily powers of 1-3 items (which may or may not include the big three) plus one every other encounter. That means you're not likely to carry around ten different items. I see this as a feature, not a bug.

And people complained about the 3e "christmas tree"...

comotose4

First Post
Staffan said:
One of the most common complaints about 3e was that characters looked like magic items christmas trees. This is an attempt to fix that. You can still get the basic bonuses from your three main items, plus daily powers of 1-3 items (which may or may not include the big three) plus one every other encounter. That means you're not likely to carry around ten different items. I see this as a feature, not a bug.

And people complained about the 3e "christmas tree"...

Being item'd out or not is irrelevant to me. I just feel that having a mechanic that limits the item usage is a cheap way to keep itemization under control. (and according to the books, it does include the big 3) Quite frankly I think they went too far with the whole "powers on items" thing in the first place just by looking at the items. Probably 75% or more of the items have daily powers. Which that wouldnt be so bad either except that without the daily power the items are by and large useless. Which means you will probably realistically acquire 7-8 items with daily powers on them, and u will always have 2-3 sitting there at the end of the day when you are in that last fight that you cant use. I hate for my players to have a reward that I have given them and for that reward to end up being unuseable due to something like this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads