• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items That Are Better Than Nothing...

flannel

First Post
Items that your players will find fluffy and interesting and flavorful and either be occasionally useful or very hip and complex (but with very narrow utility)... I added a table of contents for easy perusing of the catalog:

manysideddice.wordpress.com

133 items so far, on our way to 200!

Also, we added a new writer for DM tips.

Fion

Explorer
Yea these are predominantly awesome. I'm the type of GM who dislikes handing out magic items like candy and reserves real magic for later levels (true +1 weapons are a mid+ level item in my game). I really needed some fluffy and moderately useful stuff for lower levels. A-List stuff besides potions and healing and cantrip scrolls. I added many of these, slightly altered them to be limited use or obviously not better than the eventual upgrade. I very much like that most of them require attunement and that it isn't simply 'half an hour of concentration' but requires something specific. My players are loving them so far. They most recently got their hands on a Gambler's Box and they've been having a blast with it with no idea what so ever what awaits them when they finally loose too many games lol. They are gonna freak!

Keep up the good work. :D

cormanthor

Explorer
I really like this concept. Especially the back-stories available on the descriptions I have read so far. I may be incorporating some of these in my upcoming campaign.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
There was an article in Dragon magazine in the 80's that detailed a few dozen (?) magic items that were created for everyday folk, such as a broom of cleaning or a magic boot/shoe repair tchotchke.

The one magic shop in all of Waterdeep had 98% stuff like that, some potions, and the occasional adventurer's item. My players loved it, and bought several non-adventuring focused items, such as small cubes that heated water, and "pills" that created water.

Hmmm... now I wish I remembered which issue of Dragon that was in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads