• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items that grant feats

wighair

Explorer
Are there any items that grant characters access to a feat, or perhaps use of a feat a number of times per day?

I thinking along the lines of training books such as Manual of Quickness of Action, but instead "Bilbo's book of Mighty Cleaving" etc.

Alternatively items with feats built in - The cyclone chain of mincemeat, granting whirlwind attack etc.

Anyone have any guesstimate on prices for such power?

TracerBullet42

First Post
I think that items giving some of the "lesser" feats could be cool. Not feats that are at the end of a long chain, aka: Whirlwind Attack, but something that grants you Improved Initiative or something. It's useful, but not uber-powerful.

Personally, I'd love a ring or something that granted Improved Initiative and Quick Draw. I think that'd be just dandy. (hint, hint, if you're reading this, Floyd)

rvaughn_ffg

First Post
According to WoTC, they're pretty cheap:

"Headband of Ferocity" from Masters of the Wild, lets you fight to neg 10, just like the feat from the Sword and Fist feat "Remain Conscious" or the now-core-3.5 feat "Diehard". Cost: 2,000 gp. :eek:

Oooh, but wait, it must be so cheap because it takes up that valuable head slot for fighters! You'd be giving up . . . err . . . the headband of intellect, or . . . umm . . . the circlet of persuasion? ;)

Rob Vaughn

Voadam

Legend
From the 3.5 srd

Gloves of Arrow Snaring: Once snugly worn, these gloves seem to meld with the hands, becoming almost invisible. Twice per day, the wearer can act as if he had the Snatch Arrows feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites for it. Both gloves must be worn for the magic to be effective. At least one hand must be free to take advantage of the magic.
Faint abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, shield; Price 4,000 gp.

from the 3.0 srd

Gloves of Arrow Snaring
Once snugly worn, these gloves seem to meld with the hands, becoming almost invisible. (They are undetectable unless the viewer is within 5 feet of the wearer.) The wearer can act as if he or she had the Deflect Arrows feat, except that the wearer catches the thrown weapons and projectiles instead of deflecting them. Both gloves must be worn for the magic to be effective. At least one hand must be free to take advantage of the magic.
Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, shield; Market Price: 4,000 gp; Weight: -.

Voadam

Legend
Keen is a +1 weapon quality that duplicates improved critical.

There is also the scabbard of keen edges

Scabbard of Keen Edges: This scabbard is fashioned from cured leather and fine silver. It can shrink or enlarge to accommodate any knife, dagger, sword, or similar weapon up to and including a greatsword. Up to three times per day on command, the scabbard casts keen edge on any blade placed within it.
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, keen edge; Price 16,000 gp;Weight 1 lb.

Scabbard of Keen Edges
This scabbard can shrink or enlarge to accommodate any knife, dagger, sword, or similar weapon up to and including a greatsword. Up to three times per day on command, the scabbard casts keen edge on any blade placed within it.
Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, keen edge; Market Price: 15,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I think the whole thing is pretty cool.

For example: a +1 spiked chain that carried within it the memories of its previous weilder, enabling the character to use the weapon without the exotic proficiency.

I'd cost it at either +10,000gp or an extra "plus".

Dreaddisease

First Post
I think a feat addition to a weapon or a wondrous item would have to be gradual. A feat offered to all classes w/prereqs (i.e. Dodge, Improved Init, point blank, weap focus) cost a certain amount. A feat that requires prereqs cost twice if not 4 times.

All of my artifacts have feats automatically given. And why not? What use would a +4 intellegent weapon be of use to someone who has a -4 to use it and missing half the feats to make it effective. And then on top of that most fighter types choose feats later on in their career based on their current most powerful weapon.

I guess I'm biased as a player because I saw a guy take all these feats to effectively use a ransier and then he was forced by the group to give it up and then on top of that he ended up with a powerful bow (he was a fighter/ranger) and he had none of the feats.

Norfleet

First Post
Dreaddisease said:
I guess I'm biased as a player because I saw a guy take all these feats to effectively use a ransier and then he was forced by the group to give it up and then on top of that he ended up with a powerful bow (he was a fighter/ranger) and he had none of the feats.
If I were him, I'd have said, "You can have my ranseur when you PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads