• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items That Grant the Wearers/Users Feats

saucercrab

Explorer
I'm researching the creation of a couple magic items that would bestow the benefits of feats. As such, I'm looking for official magic items that do this. I want to take a look at the requirements, pricing, etc. as examples.

So far, all I've found are the mighty cleaving weapon special ability, & a staff in Magic of Faerun that bestows the Improved Trip feat.

Are there any others out there? Don't have to be weapons, either.

Legildur

First Post
Wow, I was going to blindly post that some intelligent items grant the ability of certain feats, but a quick scan of the 3.5 SRD shows I was wrong. Maybe that was the case under 3.0?

Anyway, I distinctly recall seeing some very well thought out and priced rules for exactly this under 3.0. But this was a few years ago and I can't find the thread/site in my bookmarks. IIRC the guy's name was Len, and it may have been a thread on EnWorld... But it was a long time ago.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My rule of thumb is one fo the ioun stones that grant the Alertness feat for 10,000 gp. I assume since this is a slotless item, a "correctly slotted" item bases costs 5000 gp.

On course, I also assume that is a base price for an feat that has no prequisites. Feats with prequisites probably cost more. The standard pricing would have it at 5000 x "number of pluses (1+requisite feats?)" squared, but that gets expensive. Boots of Spring Attack would cost 45,000gp by that logic, so I'm not sure if it holds or not.

Other items, I think one of the FR books had a bow that granted the precise shot feat, and a bridle that granted one of two riding related feats (granted one and if you had it already granted a different one). Don't have references or costs offhand though, sorry.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

Cheers,
Blue

saucercrab

Explorer
Thanks, guys. Guess I'll have to keep looking, then.

Of the two I did find, though, they didn't list the feat itself as a prerequisite. I'd think that that should be the case. I mean, a ring of jumping requires ranks in Jump. Then again, boots of elvenkind don't require any Move Silently ranks. Weird, huh?

Li Shenron

Legend
Blue said:
My rule of thumb is one fo the ioun stones that grant the Alertness feat for 10,000 gp. I assume since this is a slotless item, a "correctly slotted" item bases costs 5000 gp.

Mmm... I wouldn't use such an item as a base. Alertness is not a particularly worth feat compared to the majority. At least the "+s" should be worth differently (see item creation pricing rules for example). Then the reason to make an item which grants feat is probably not to give mere bonuses - which you can already get from other items - but feats which grant you a non-bonus ability, such as Cleave or Improved Trip from the examples.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Ring of Evasion gives the Evasion feat.

Although not a feat, the Monk's Belt gives Monk special abilities to a non-Monk.

I tend to lump special abilities with feats.

Ditto for a Belt of Dwarvenkind which gives Dwarven special abilities to a non-Dwarf.

Boots of Striding and Springing give +10 to Speed (which is similar to the Speed of Thought feat).

Bracers of Armor (Lesser and Greater) bestow the ability to use a bow (Martial Weapon: Bow).

Any of the +5 Competence Bonus items (e.g. Cloak of Elvenkind, Gloves of Swimming and Climbing) are similar to the feats that give +2/+2 (or +3) to two skills (e.g. Deceitful). The only difference is that one is a competence bonus and the other is an unnamed bonus.

Hand of Glory allows a character to wear a third ring by taking up a necklace slot. This is a special ability about on par with a lesser feat at least.

Mantle of Faith grants Damage Reduction 5/evil, another special ability more potent than a feat (e.g. Greater Resiliency).

Vestment, Druid's grants one extra wild shape per day. The Extra Wild Shape feat grants two extra wild shapes per day.

Gloves of Arrow Snaring.

Of course, I think those are priced way on the lower end of "feat items." I tend to figure a starting range of 5,000 to 7,000 is usually a safe bet for "normal" feats.

Metamagic is, of course, an entirely different ball of wax.

Wish

First Post
Belt of Endurance from A&EG, 10000gp for a +2 enhancement bonus to Con and the Great Fortitude feat. Probably 6k for the feat, in that instance. Or 4k * 1.5 for it being the second, related ability, which would put the base price at 4k. I think that's reasonable for the lower end feats such as skill focus, the save feats, the +2/+2 skill feats. I would increase the cost for feats that have more direct combat utility, unless restricted in some way. A ring that gives the quick draw feat, for example, I'd price more highly than a scabbard that gives quick draw only for the single weapon stored within it. I'd start charging a lot of money for items that add more significant bonuses like a power attack belt or elusive target boots.

Staffan

Legend
Blue said:
I think 10,000 for the ioun stone that provides Alertness is a bit over the top. It's essentially just +2 to two skills, which should cost 2^2*100 + 2^2*100*1.5 (second ability) = 1,000 gp as a slotted item, or 2^2*100*2 (two bonuses)*2 (slotless) = 1,600 as a slotless item. Perhaps a little more, because of stacking with other items (like eyes of the eagle - maybe double the price for that, like Natural Armor and Deflection bonuses cost twice as much as Armor bonuses.

Remove ads