• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Jar, soul switching question…

Sunglar

Explorer
Magic Jar, soul switching question…

I have a question and I am humbly asking for the help of my fellow ENWorlders here.

I am planning on having an evil enemy of the PCs attempt to switch bodies with the young man they are attempting to rescue. He plans on placing his mind (soul) into the young man’s body and then either magically or through some alchemical substance, drive the young man mad so he will face the PCs in his (the evil enemy’s) body. If his plan works the PC will kill their nemesis’ body and thus kill the young man’s soul while he continues to inhabit the young man’s body.

I have “ways” to do this through a strange artifact the PCs know little about, and as the DM I could simply invoke storytelling secret rituals that have occurred and simply have it done BUT I wish to explore if this is doable per the rules, or some variant or option out there I know nothing about.

I thought of the Magic Jar spell but it does not work for this exactly. Can you think of other methods? I do not use Psionics as a PC options but there are some in the campaign that have those powers as secret lost rituals so that may be an option…

To summarize, this is what I am asking, for those of you interested in wrapping your brain around this:

1.How and if the permanent switching of minds (souls) can be accomplished in the actual D&D 3.5 rules set, including WotC and third party materials. (Not asking you to post the rules here verbatim here I know that is a no, no. Just point me in the right direction)

2.What possible ways can I expect the PCs will have to detect it and how could I attempt to counter it, short and long term.

The villain is relatively high level and the PCs are all around the 12th to 14th level range with a mix of all the basic classes.

There is the perfectly good possibility the PCs will figure the ply out and foil it, there are clues that pint to this, let’s see what happens.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sunglar

Jack Simth

First Post
There's a Psionic power - Mind Switch, True - that will do what you ask for. Telepath 9, I think, costs 10,000 xp, and you lose a level if your previous body dies.
Anything short of that is supposed to be temporary.

Oh, and if you need a villian that's lower than 17th, do remember Power Stones, the Psionic equivalent of scrolls, and Use Magic/Psionic Device (essentially the same thing, under Transparency).

If you go with 3.0 Psionics, the 6th level Mind Switch can do what you ask.

Sunglar

Explorer
Thank you!

Jack, thank you VERY much… I will look into this. I only have the 3.0 Psionic rules, but I believe the new 3.5 rules are part of the SDR, ¿right?

The villain has a very powerful ally that is privy to the secrets of Psionics so this may be just what I need.

Again, thank you!

Sunglar

Sunglar

Explorer
See why I love this place!

Thank you... How about that for a hand, I'll fill you in on how it goes dawn next week. This is part of the Halloween adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads