• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Missile vs. Mirror Image

Ristamar

Adventurer
Fair enough. I try to stick with RAI unless there's a glaring balance issue, but both of your house rules in respect to Mirror Image's interaction with spells are consistent with your logic.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
From the above, the attacker targets the creature, not any of the images. The spell itself is the only thing that can switch the target to an image; the attacker cannot do so.

The spell contradicts itself with its horrible wording. It specifies that it's impossible to tell which of the images is real, therefore it's impossible to target the caster. Go ahead and rule in favor of the absurd for your game. "Guys, it's impossible to know which is the real target, but somehow you know anyway.". I'm going to rule in favor of reason for mine. "Guys, it's impossible to know which is the real target, so you have to roll for targeted spells."

Arial Black

Adventurer
The spell contradicts itself with its horrible wording. It specifies that it's impossible to tell which of the images is real, therefore it's impossible to target the caster.

The spell does say that it's impossible to track which image is real, but it does not say that this makes the creature impossible to target!

The whole game system is consistent here: their is no 'roll to target'. Targetting the creature you want to target (if it is within range and visible) is 100% reliable.

It is not strange that magic missile is consistent with this!

guachi

Hero
Don't pass off your inability to understand the wording of the spell as contradictory and horrible.

Though if you insist on doing so, I guess you've complimented those of us who had no trouble understanding what the words of the spell actually meant.

But, checking your post against the actual text of the spell, you've failed to state the text of the spell correctly. Perhaps that's the issue? You can't accurately read the words on the page. They say one thing; you read another.

You claim the spell specifies "it's impossible to tell which of the images is real"

This is not what the text actually says. What it does say is that "it’s impossible to track which image is real."

There is a difference. In one version, the correct version, you can, at times, tell which is the real image. You can clearly tell which the real image is if you attack and hit the real image. Though you would then quickly lose track as the images continue shifting.

It also never says that it's impossible to target the caster. Nowhere in the spell description does it say this. Nowhere in the rules does it say this. As far as I can tell, you've made this up. You can't, generally, target something with a spell if you can't see it, but Mirror Image doesn't make you invisible. Mirror Image is an illusion that makes duplicate images of you.

Correct. It never misses what the caster aims at. If the caster aims at an image, it will unerringly hit that image.

It doesn't detect mage armor. It just hits despite it. Being a force attack, it can impact armor and still do damage. It has no need to zip around to some sort of opening and hit there like you suggest. It will go around a corner or cover, but that's it. It also has no ability to tell the difference between one person and another. That's what the caster is for. The caster has seen his target and aims at it. The spell then avoids all but that target. It's not an intelligent thing.

This is you enunciating a "capricious and arbitrary" set of rules to rationalize the spell's behavior while allowing it to function mechanically as you say it should.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The spell does say that it's impossible to track which image is real, but it does not say that this makes the creature impossible to target!

So you think that it's perfectly rational to be able to target something that's impossible to track? I have a bridge to sell you.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There is a difference. In one version, the correct version, you can, at times, tell which is the real image. You can clearly tell which the real image is if you attack and hit the real image. Though you would then quickly lose track as the images continue shifting.

If there's time enough to cast a spell at a target while you can tell which is real, there is also time to swing a sword at it. They take the same amount of time and the same ability to target.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is you enunciating a "capricious and arbitrary" set of rules to rationalize the spell's behavior while allowing it to function mechanically as you say it should.

No. this is me explaining to you the spell as it is written. You select a target. The spell cannot discern the difference between an elf, a dwarf, a fighter or a rock. It merely goes to the target you selected.

Aenorgreen

First Post
No. this is me explaining to you the spell as it is written. You select a target. The spell cannot discern the difference between an elf, a dwarf, a fighter or a rock. It merely goes to the target you selected.

Apparently it can discern some sort of difference, as Magic Missle as written cannot be used to target a rock. There must be something special that seperates it from using a bow as it specifies that it will only target creatures.

Remove ads