• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic of Eberron, anyone pick it up yet?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Nightfall said:
*sighs* And thus does the divine get shoved aside in favor of "What stuff can I blast using this?!"

You probably then will not be interested in the Draconic Prophesier feat chain. Basically, with the base feat, you can (with a full-round action) go into a sort of "zone" in regards to the Prophecy, and get a small bonus on AC. This requires Knowledge (Arcana) and Speak Language (Draconic).

It has several subsidiary feats, most of which are fairly minor...boosts to AC, boosts to speed, etc. However, Prophetic Shaper is FAR more powerful than the other feats, as, while in Prophetic Favor (i.e. in the aforementioned "zone"), you can freely Empower one spell/round without change in spell level or casting time. The only catch is that you can't Empower your highest-level spells; so, for example, if I have 4th-level spells, I can only auto-Empower 3rd-level spells. I've already recommended it to our Eberron group's warmage player. :)

Brad

yeah, prophetic shaper is really powerful. Since Prophetic favor is tied to a stat bonus + 1/2 ranks in knowledge: arcana, someone can easily be in it for 8 rounds. That's 8 empowered spells, with no level adjustment or extra casting time.

Ken

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Firelancer,

Yes I have LoD. It's helpful but NOT that helpful. Especially when my goal with this PC is annihilate Xoriat. I ask on a lot of threads Fire cause some times its good to ask around, you know.

Gly,

Not sure I need special material or new spells (I'm only 2nd level paladin.) But might invest in some new armor qualities IF they help out.

Cy,

No. Unless I was a Dragon Kith, or something dragon related, I'm not that interested. But thanks for letting me know.

I guess I was hoping that much like Magic of Faerun, Eberron wouldn't shie THAT far from giving us divine spellcasters some edge in fighting foes.

Wycen

Explorer
I was about to say, 'wait, what about that paladin thing' and then I remembered that was in the Heroes of Horror book, which I flipped through before buying Magic of Eberron.

I don't like the smaller font in this book, but maybe they've been using that in the more recent ones, the last book I bought was Races of Eberron.

This book has more info on the Dragon Prophecy stuff than I am interested in, however the prestige class looks like it can easily be adapted to a "clockwork planar" PrC by changing the dragon constellations to the various planes, something I wanted to do for my warforged wizard.

For you people interested in the divine, there is the Deadgrim prestige class. Basically another anti-undead type, but you have to have divine casting ability.

One thing hardcore Eberron fans might not like is the revelations regarding things. They tell you how elemental binding was discovered, how to make minor schema, and the secret of the psiforged, (which isn't a big deal since it is introduced in this book) and possibly other stuff I haven't read yet. I suppose these could be expected, considering elemental binding is one of the core ideas of Eberron, it wouldn't be Eberron without that whole facet. The schema stuff isn't really too powerful, just that you have to be powerful to use it. You have to be a 10th level caster to get the Etch Schema feat.

Nightfall

Wy,

Yeah well keep your threads straight! ;) Deadgrim eh? Well keep that in mind if said Githzerai paladin dies...and I want another paladin. :p :)

So schemas, are they like better than docents/warforged components then?

Wycen

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Wy,

So schemas, are they like better than docents/warforged components then?

If you are a spellcaster, they are better. If you are a warforged, the components are better. That is because they are different toys.

Basically a minor schema (no information on what makes a schema minor, major, or creation, or artifact, etc) is a "use once per day scroll". It can cast one spell from 1st to 6th level once per day, if you can cast spells or infusions, (and I would have to reread carefully to see if divine schemas are possible). The schema can't contain a spell that requires XP, a "costly material component" or "costly focus".

One thing I find funny is the chapter opening art for the magic and equipment section. It shows the iconic warforged wizard, Book, and describes his magic items. Included are his Master Artifcers ring, (usable only by artificers) and his 3rd arm and Cannith goggles, (both fully powered only by artificers).

Laman Stahros

First Post
Wycen said:
Basically a minor schema (no information on what makes a schema minor, major, or creation, or artifact, etc) is a "use once per day scroll". It can cast one spell from 1st to 6th level once per day, if you can cast spells or infusions, (and I would have to reread carefully to see if divine schemas are possible). The schema can't contain a spell that requires XP, a "costly material component" or "costly focus".
According to the book, they are neither arcane nor divine. As long as the spell is on your spell list, you can activate it once per day. Also, no minimum ability score is required, unlike a scroll.

I think it would take a pattern to combine multiple minor schema into something that can, say, create a warforged. Imagine a set of schema of the spells needed to create a golem, insert them into the pattern properly (a picture of a pattern is in the adventure Shadows of the Last War) and activate the pattern. Poof! A golem is created.

deadboydex

Explorer
Laman Stahros said:
I think it would take a pattern to combine multiple minor schema into something that can, say, create a warforged. Imagine a set of schema of the spells needed to create a golem, insert them into the pattern properly (a picture of a pattern is in the adventure Shadows of the Last War) and activate the pattern. Poof! A golem is created.

Creating Warforged probably requires a major schema, which aren't detailed in the book -- or explicitly stated as existing, for that matter, but if there are minor schema, I imagine that there are probably major ones too.

There aren't a lot of divine options presented in MoE, but no doubt there's a Gods of Eberron book on the way, as it's the only fundamental aspect of the world that hasn't had a book yet. I'd rather have a book full of divine options than a section in the magic book, wouldn't you?

Nightfall

Deadboy,

Eh maybe but magic is still magic in my view. Arcane and Divine might have different sources but darn it, if you have a Magic book, both should get some play.

But thanks guys for explaining the various schema stuffs to me.

takasi

First Post
deadboydex said:
There aren't a lot of divine options presented in MoE, but no doubt there's a Gods of Eberron book on the way, as it's the only fundamental aspect of the world that hasn't had a book yet.

We need a Religious sourcebook, but we also need a "Planes of Eberron" book too. More so than other settings considering the impact of the planes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads