• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic of Faerun Item question

Arcanus

First Post
In MoF there are items called Vestments of Power.

It says that these are ceremonial clerical robes. That are usually cut and tailored to suit a particular diety's worshipers.

Now how it is described it doesn't say only clerics can wear them.
Can any character class wear these vestments if they worship the diety that they were custom tailored to?

mkletch

First Post
Arcanus said:
Can any character class wear these vestments if they worship the diety that they were custom tailored to?

We had a rogue with a set of them. If you want to house-rule the item to restrict it to an item (not a bad idea for flavor reasons), it might reduce the cost a bit.

-Fletch!

dkilgo

First Post
Honestly, I am not quite sure.

But, unless this has been placed within the erratta, the text does not state anything about the vestments only being used by clerics.

Now if a non-cleric character wants to run around in clerical garb, and be hounded by the local populace for healing, then sobeit.

Their is a very good chance that this item was later erratted to contain something similar to "clerics only".

Who knows?

mkletch

First Post
dkilgo said:
Now if a non-cleric character wants to run around in clerical garb, and be hounded by the local populace for healing, then sobeit.

How 2E... It's a shame that clerics can be nothing other than healing machines or uber archers.

dkilgo said:
Their is a very good chance that this item was later erratted to contain something similar to "clerics only".

Nothin in the MoF errata at WotC. It would have been silly, anyway, for a 'standard' campaign setting to start this type of thing. It's OK for house rules, but is not where the game is going.

-Fletch!

drnuncheon

Explorer
Arcanus said:
In MoF there are items called Vestments of Power.

It says that these are ceremonial clerical robes. That are usually cut and tailored to suit a particular diety's worshipers.

Any character class can wear the vestments, even if they don't worship the deity in question. One could even get a regular robe or shirt or some such custom-made with the same magic for the same market price

However, if you're asking about vestments that you found, consider the source. If you pulled them off of the body of the evil high priest of VeryBadGod...do you really want to walk around wearing the vestments of a high priest of VeryBadGod? Even if people aren't "bugging you for healing" (and they probably won't, considering the source), they will notice. And the results of that noticing may not be pleasant, as the rumors start, peasants make the sign of the evil eye when they think you're not looking, paladins and similar heroic types constantly show up to battle your evilness...

dkilgo

First Post
I guess I deserve the jabs in my direction, but please take it easy.

I was just trying to add a bit of humor. Albeit not very good humor.

But anyways, thanks for the check on the errata.

I do agree that anybody could wear the item because there is nothing stating that they can't. Actually, now that I think of a few situations where the vestments might be worn, I can see some interesting roleplay benefits stemming from it. Thanks for the idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads