Magic of incarnum ir Epic Level Handbook

Magic of Incarnum vs. Epic Level Handbook

• Magic of incarnum

Votes: 72 50.7%
  • Epic Level Handbook

Votes: 70 49.3%

Masquerade

First Post
Incarnum, easily. The Epic rules are wonky and unneeded, not to mention the fact that the book is 3.0, and I just don't care that much for high-level play. Plus, I've got a player who really likes incarnum and is already playing a character that uses it. I've used an incarnum-based character in a one-shot as well and enjoyed it.

For me, there is no competition, but that is merely my opinion. (Nice thread, btw)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'd rather have both, but Incarnum is the winner at present. My players love the system, as do I, and we've yet to hit epic levels.

Cheers!

Seeker95

First Post
Neither. I don't use epic rules for post-level-20 play, and MoI was just a little too much added to what would have been a decent single article.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Magic of Incarnum. I like the idea of Epic, but the Epic Level Handbook has all sorts of misdeeds in its execution (and I drastically prefer my own epic BAB and saves rules). All of the Epic feats have been redone, better, in the Complete splats. It's best as an Epic Monster Manual, which is really not a good sign.

Magic of Incarnum, though, I thoroughly like. OK, that's a lie. The rigidity of alignment with the classes strikes me as a bit silly and two of the four presented races I hate (the "oh, I'm human but with scales on my neck / oh, I'm human but with spines on my arms" guys). But the mechanics are nice, the compatibility with pre-existing classes (like feats and PrCs) is very nice, and the totemist is gold.

Demiurge out.

Kvantum

First Post
Pelor save us from Incarnum. Epic is weird, odd, but it just "feels" better to me. Yes, it has its problem, but Incarnum just doesn't "feel" like D&D - GURPS maybe, but not D&D. Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, those add-on systems have a decent D&D feel, but Incarnum just doesn't fit.

Barak

First Post
Considering that I only use one (Incarnum), I voted for it. While it has nothing at all in common with it, I use it as others use psionics in their games.

Gold Roger

First Post
Getting to epic levels would take years, years after which I'd prefer to run something new and fresh. Besides I'm a stickler for keeping the level limit and build up everything on the assumption that 20 is the total maximum of power.

Incarnum on the other hand is a great mechanic, not that wonky once you remove some of the worst flavor offenders (imc scarn and rilkan would be completely reptilian, I worked around that crazy notion of borrowing souls) and it can be introduced at any level. Plus, I actually like the alignment restrictions and made them the basis of my flavor reworkings.

So yeah, for me Incarnum wins this one easily.

Remove ads