• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Of Incarnum?

D.Shaffer

First Post
saucercrab said:
I like the idea behind the book as well, but I can tell why I won't use it: bound soul-melds take up item slots. So, an incarnum character's major class abilities preclude the use of lots of standard magic items.
Eh, this isnt as big a problem as you might expect. You just have to plan around it. Figure out what melds you're likely never going to use, and thus what slots to remain open. You're likely going to be shifting melds around at times too, so it's not like all those slots are permanently locked out (nevermind getting custom magic items for slots you never use). There's also the feats that let you use a magic item in those slots anyways, nevermind magic items that let you do the same.

DungeonMaester

First Post
I dream of a campaign setting where only weapon masters can use anything as a weapon, caster are the only ones who can handle any thing magic, Priest can only use Divine magic, and savage tribes hold fierce arcane power lost centuries ago....

...So I switched to Palladium. :)

...But My roommate lost all my books So I play GURPS...

---Rusty

Glyfair

Explorer
blargney the second said:
It's an interesting system that's grown on me over time. The main problem is that you basically have to read the entire book to understand what you can do with it, so it's a steep learning curve.
Interesting. One the RPGA Xen'drik Expedition forums they are saying that the DM can have what he need to know to use it explained in a paragraph or two.

Wavestone

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Interesting. One the RPGA Xen'drik Expedition forums they are saying that the DM can have what he need to know to use it explained in a paragraph or two.

Well.. the basic concept is not too difficult to grasp - shift essentia around your soulmelds.

But since you have access to all soulmelds on your class list, and that they give different effects in different circumstances - shaped, shaped & bound to a chakra, shaped and imbued with some essentia, shaped & bound & imbued with essentia. Possibly 4 different things per soulmeld, and you have access to 20+. Plus possibility of feats, class abilities, and stuff that can affect this a lot. That adds up.

Also, using Incarnum may mean you have to change things around a lot. For example, at first the PC have essentia shifted toward some skill, then suddenly its combat time, and you shift away the skill bonuses toward, say AC. Some rounds later you shift it towards zapping some goon with the shock gauntlets meld.. meaning your AC is down.

Flexible, but somewhat complex. Power-wise.. dunno. Have to agree that the Incarnate seems a little weak, at least from reading. Anyone who has seen a meldshaper in play for a while/to mid-levels?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
One of the players in my group had an Azuran Soulborn.

He retired him at around 13th level because the extremely small number of benefits he got didn't compensate in any way for the abilities he would have been able to have with the extra 7 feats he would have gotten as a fighter. He was MOST DEFINATELY underpowered.

DS

saucercrab

Explorer
D.Shaffer said:
Eh, this isnt as big a problem as you might expect. You just have to plan around it. Figure out what melds you're likely never going to use, and thus what slots to remain open. You're likely going to be shifting melds around at times too, so it's not like all those slots are permanently locked out (nevermind getting custom magic items for slots you never use). There's also the feats that let you use a magic item in those slots anyways, nevermind magic items that let you do the same.
What other classes have to deal with this choice? I can't think of any off the top of my head, so having to choose between your best class abilities or most slotted magic items (which constitute a larger & larger percentage of a character's power as he increases in level) is not a fair trade.

YMMV. :)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Sabathius42 said:

He retired him at around 13th level because the extremely small number of benefits he got didn't compensate in any way for the abilities he would have been able to have with the extra 7 feats he would have gotten as a fighter. He was MOST DEFINATELY underpowered.DS

He was underpowered compared to a *fighter*? That is very sad.

Drowbane

First Post
Sabathius42 said:

He retired him at around 13th level because the extremely small number of benefits he got didn't compensate in any way for the abilities he would have been able to have with the extra 7 feats he would have gotten as a fighter. He was MOST DEFINATELY underpowered.

DS

Soulborn is the "retarded cousin" of the Incarnate and Totemist... and even those two are somewhat on the weak side.

Aleolus

First Post
Not if you know how to play them right. At fourth level, a Soulborn is only supposed to be able to Smite Opposition 1 time per day. I have one who could do it 3. If you are careful, and know what you're doing, Incarnum can be just as broken as Psionics.
Besides, Soulborn can get a lot of melds that render them immune to various things, not counting their Incarnum Defence, which grants them an immunity based on their level, as I said earlier. That can prove very useful in the right circumstances.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads