• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Of Incarnum?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aleolus said:
Name another class that can switch roles that quickly, aside from the Chameleon PrC (forget which book it's from).
Druid above 5th level, of course. :)

Scout? I'm an eagle!
Tracking? I'm a wolf!
Melee? I'm a bear!
Chase scene? I'm a cheetah!

Feats change and you gain skill bonuses based on your form. (Oh, also you can cast spells.)

Cheers, -- N

PS: I'll try to put some counter-builds up later today or this weekend.

Aleolus

First Post
Unfortunately, yes. That is the one thing about Incarnum I do not particularly like, it gives evil the good stuff faster. Granted, the good guys have access to a lot of the same things, but they have to either take a feat for it, and/or wait a good deal longer to get it. The only thing I don't like about it.

Case in point, the Soulborn. At second level, the soulborn gains 1 immunity, based on their alignment.
LG: Immunity to fear
CG: Immune to paralysis (and charms/compulsions, if they're an elf who takes the sub level)
LE: Immunity to exhaustion
CE: Immune to strength drain/damage

Now, I for one think that CE got the better end of the stick, there. LE isn't too bad, since who plays with fatigue/exhaustion, except under extenuating circumstances. Fear effects Paladins are immune to, so really only CG and CE have useful

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hmm, so it'd be easy to make Incarnum villains, but very hard to make Incarnum PCs who could compete. Bleah.

-- N

johncolossus

First Post
Dont forget totemists

In reply to above if pure damage output is your thing then evil has advantage over good for incarnates. However, no-one yet (cannot at moment as not near books) has shown you how great a totemist can be with right setup and 'melds. They can act as frontliners too fairly well.

With double chakra feat (totem) they can get nifty natural attacks such as landshark boots claws, do a leap to get all 4 claws to hit with them, rend if 2 claws hit through girallon arms and top off and add 1d4/essentia fire damage with each hit from heart of fire meld. This does add upto some nice damage and not even included bonuses from magic items/strength etc. The level 20 ability essentially doubles the effect per essentia in each totem bound meld for a few minutes per day. So even without anything else with above example:

Each landshark claw 1d6 +10 enhancement to hit/damage - upto 4 hit per round
Rend 2d6 +20 + (2xstrength) if 2 claws hit
Each hit deals 10d4 fire damage

Above based on 5 capacity at lvl 20 for totems.

In my current game i play a wizard (transmuter) 4 / totemist 3 / soulcaster 10. The soulcaster is essentially the theurge version of incarnum. I can safely say this is a very fun albeit complex character to play. He plays more as a gish using often above totem bound soulmelds enhanced by arcane spells. He has HP to boot as has CON 22 currently. Imagine above enhanced by spells such as bite of the werebear (+16str), fires of purity (1hp/lvl max 15 fire per natural attack) or ferocity of sanguine rage (+1 morale damage per 2 caster lvls per attack) and you can see can output damage pretty well. Wont be long till gets 8th and 9th lvl spells.....:)

PS note to Sollir Furryfoot above:

You cannot get bonus essentia twice. All feats that allow you to take more than once tell you and bonus essentia does not. I made that same mistake till it was pointed out by my DM. In my build i swopped it out for practised spellcaster which i have not looked back on and benefitted greatly from it.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
Here's a skill monkey I whipped up, I think Incarnates can really excel in this role. He can also provide a +2 AC to allies within 30' twice a day, dimension door 80'/day (in increments of 10'), and can negate all concealment less than total to a range of 50'. He has above average saves and HP's and a decent AC. Base attack is his weak point, but he relies on Dissolving Spittle vs. anything that isn't acid immune. I wouldn't call incarnate's powerhouses, but they can be very versatile.

Alexander of Pelor
NG Human Rogue 2/ Incarnate 8 (medium humaniod)
Init: +4; Senses: Listen +11, Spot + 11
Languages Common, Elven,

AC 25, touch 16, flat-footed 21
(+7 armor, +2 deflection, +4 Dex, +2 Shield)
HP: 77 (10d6+40); Immune
Resist:
Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +10

Speed 30 ft. +5ft per essentia invested in Cerulean Sandles
Melee: +9 ranged touch – Dissolving Spittle (5d6 acid)
Base Atk +5; Grp + 5
Atk Options: Sneak Attack +1d6, Dissolving Spittle, Incarnum Radiance 2/day (Alex and Allies w/in 30’ +2 AC)
Special Qualities: Strong Good Aura, Detect Evil at Will, Rapid Meldshaping 1/day, Evasion, Trapfinding,
Soulmelds: 5 | Essentia: 10 | Binds: 2 (bold) | Max Essentia: 3 (4 with ESC)
Theft Gloves
Cerulean Sandals (feet)
Dissolving Spittle* (throat)
Truthseeker Goggles (brow)
Diadem of Purelight (crown)
*Expanded Soulmeld Capacity

Abilities: Str 11, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Feats (5): Able Learner, point blank shot, precise shot, bonus essentia, Expanded soulmeld capacity
Skills Disable Devise +10 (+18), Escape Artist +10, Gather Info +6 (+14), Appraise +5, Listen +11, Sense Motive +6 (+14), Open Lock +13 (+21), Spot +11, Search +11 (+19), UMD +12, Sleight of Hand +4 (+12) - "()"= with boost from soulmelds currently shaped
Equipment: Amulet of Health +4, Gloves of Dex +2, +3 Mithral Chain Shirt, +2 Darkwood Heavy Shield, Ring of Protection +2, Wand of CLW (50), Wand of Magic missile(3rd) (50), Cloak of Resistance +2

Last edited:

griff_goodbeard

First Post
And here's a Soulborn specializing in unarmed attacks. I tried to stick to core (SUS is the only thing non core/MoI I included). Feats and equipment would look different if I added other books, but you get the gist.

LG Azurin Soulborn 15 (medium humanoid, incarnum)
Init: +7; Senses: Listen +0, Spot + 5 | Pinpoint living creatures w/in 15’ as move action
Languages Common, Celestial

AC 32, touch 14, flat-footed 31 | DR: 3/- | Uncanny Dodge
(+12 armor, +3 deflection, +1 Dex, +6 Shield)
hp 162 (15d10+75); Immune: Fear
Resist:
Fort +16, Ref +9, Will +10 | Evasion

Speed 20 ft.
Melee: +25/+20/+15 Unarmed Strike (1d10 +20)
Base Atk +15/+10/+5 | Grp + 21
Atk Options: Smite Chaos/Evil- 6/day (+2 atk, +17 dam), Power Attack
Special Qualities: Overwhelming Good/Lawful Aura, Incarnum Defense, Share Incarnum Defense 2/day
Soulmelds: 3 | Essentia: 12 | Binds: 2 (bold)
Impulse Boots (feet) 1
Mauling Gauntlets (hands) 3
Bluesteel Bracers (arms) 3
Sapphire Smite 2
Soulsight 3
Cobalt Power 0
Cobalt Charge 0

Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 12
Feats (11): Sapphire Smite, Improved Unarmed Strike, WF (Unarmed Strike), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Superior Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Bonus Essentia, Cobalt Power, Soulsight, Cobalt Charge
Skills: Diplomacy +19, Heal +9, Jump +15, K(Arcana) +10, K(Planes) +10
Equipment: Bracers of Health +6, Belt of Giant Str +6, +4 Adamantine Fullplate, +4 Heavy Shield, Amulet of Mighty Fists +3, Ring of Protection +3, Cloak of Resistance +2, Eyes of the Eagle, Bag of Holding Type I

Last edited:

griff_goodbeard

First Post
Yes, I am bored today... :)

LN Skarn Incarnate 2/Fighter 4/ Spinemeld Warrior 5 (medium humanoid, reptilian)
Init: +6; Senses: Listen +0, Spot + 0
Languages Common, Draconic

AC 26, touch 14, flat-footed 23 | DR: 1/chaos
(+8 armor, +2 deflection, +2 Dex, +2 Natural, +2 Shield)
hp 98 (9d10+2d6+33); Immune:
Resist: 25% fortification
Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +7

Speed 30 ft.
Melee: Spines(force descriptor) +18/+13 (1d6 +10) | +18/+13 (1d6 +7)
Base Atk +9/+4 | Grp + 15
Atk Options: Power Attack, Cleave, Spine Rend (2d6+9)
Special Qualities: Moderate Lawful Aura, Detect Chaos at will, Twin Spine Fighting, Noble Familiarity +2, Spine Enhancement +2
Soulmelds: 4 | Essentia: 7 | Binds: 1 (bold)
Crystal Helm (crown) 2
Adamant Pauldrons (shoulders) 1
Incarnate Avatar (soul) 2
Spines 2

Abilities Str 22, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats (11): Improved Initiative, WF (spine), Bonus Essentia, Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes, W Spec (spine), TWF(B), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Skills: Diplomacy +4, Climb +12, +9, Jump +10, Intimidate +10, K(Arcana) +6, K(Planes) +6, K(Religion) +6
Equipment: Bracers of Health +2, Belt of Giant Str +4, +3 Mithral Breastplate, Gloves of Dex +2, Cloak of Resistance +3, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Ring of Force Shield

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads