• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Magic/Spells] I need a helping hand...

Chroma

Explorer
...with the spell helping hand.

Could someone please explain to me why this is a third level spell?

It's not garanteed to find the right person, it doesn't identify who the sender is if it does find them (would you follow a randon ghostly hand that appeared to you?), and it can take hours to work! Since starting 3rd Ed, I've seen it cast once, and that was more of a joke. Have people actually found it useful at 3rd level? What am I missing?

Lastly, why is it "evocation"?

Thank you for your time...

Last edited:

Chroma

Explorer
Over a hundred views...

...but still no clues?

I guess 3.5 Fever is gripping everyone, yet the spell is still the same in the revision. Anyone know why?

Chroma

Explorer
I can't believe I found the one thing...

...no one has an opinion on...

Has anyone used this spell in their games? Can anyone explain why it's 3rd level? Please, please talk to me... :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
They wouldn't want to allow the accolytes to make the spell find and fetch (and impress) "busty elf wenches" :D ?

2nd-level might also work.

It has its uses. You can find lost children or something (if you're lost in the woods, you will follow that hand, cause you have nothing else to do anyway) and it can be used to lead others to you for clandestine meetings ("go into the gardens and wear a black goat. You will be sent for").

And it's evocation because the hand is made of pure energy, without physical form. If it had a physical form, it might be conjuration (creation), but energies are the domain of evocation.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
DM2 said:

Wear a black goat? he he he he

Hm... it should have been coat.

But of course this could be ambiguous. But I think that there aren't many wearong a black goat. :D

Now, this reminds me of one of the Larry Games ("If you're dilivering the goat, just tie it down outside").

Chroma

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
"go into the gardens and wear a black goat. You will be sent for"

That's to be sure the hand is going to the right person...

And thank you KaeYoss for restoring my faith... :)

Remove ads