• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic the Mighty Marvel Way!: Can it be done?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Prompted by a discussion on the CBR forums about the rules of magic in the Marvel Universe the other day, I decided to browse through some old Marvel stuff (specifically, the Marvel Superhero RPG, which put game stats to the system of Marvel magic as it has generally existed for a long time).

Anyway, I got to thinking, would this system be viable in D&D? More to the point, would the existing 9 level system (in any edition of the game) be able to fit into the Marvel magic system?

For those not familiar, magic in the Marvel universe runs along three scales:

Personal Magic: Magical spells/powers that come from one's personal energy
Universal Magic: Magical spells/powers that are empowered by the universe's (ie, Prime Plane's) ambient natural energies
Dimensional Magic: Magical spells/powers that are empowered by extradimensional (ie, non-Prime) sources, either through entreaties with otherdimensional entities or through general manipulation of ambient natural energies from those dimensions

These categories are listed in terms of difficulty of use/acces: ie, Personal magics are easier and quicker to use (few or no components, probably low level).

I haven't really looked into it too much at the moment (just general thoughts), but could the existing system be tweaked to fit into this? Would it require too much work, or even would it be a good idea?

I kind of dig it myself, as an alternative to the Vancian model, but I'd be interested to hear anyone elses thoughts.

Walt C

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
Universal Magic: Magical spells/powers that are empowered by the universe's (ie, Prime Plane's) ambient natural energies
Dimensional Magic: Magical spells/powers that are empowered by extradimensional (ie, non-Prime) sources, either through entreaties with otherdimensional entities or through general manipulation of ambient natural energies from those dimensions

Technically, D&D has always used this model.

Personal = Psionic
Universal = Arcane
Dimensional = Divine

In earlier editions, the distinctions were clearer. Psionics, if allowed, were largely personal effects that could be used at will, so long as you had the points. Arcane magic used a Vancian model, and Divine, while also using the Vancian model, was subject to a code of behavior (offend your deity and your magic doesn't work).

Currently, the lines have blurred somewhat with the addition of the sorceror and other classes that grant open spell slots (favored soul, spirit shaman). Clerics were also granted an open slot availability for healing spells.

For 4e, I'd either like to see stronger distinctions between the three or a central unified mechanic. It always bothered me that if you used arcane and divine spells you used one set of rules, but psionics required an entirely different set of rules.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
For those not familiar, magic in the Marvel universe runs along three scales:

Over a decade since I've seen a MSH RPG book, and I still think about magic in exactly those terms.

And I'm with Walt C: psionic, arcane, and divine power map pretty well to those classifications. I don't think the mechanical distinctions are really sufficient (when you get down to it, D&D treats those descriptors as little more than flavor), but it's definitely one way to start.

Other things that should probably be classes as Personal Magic would be Monk abilities and Martial Adept (Tome of Battle) maneuvers. In fact, they could be said fit the "easier and quicker to use" requirement even better. Of course, they're mechanically unrelated to psionics, and so they do introduce a few questions for this model.

Another thing you might want to consider is at-will abilities, particularly invocations. Are they Universal or Dimensional Magic, since the user never runs out of power? Or are they Personal, but powered by an exotic internal source?

Remove ads