• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Vs AC is Very Poor Reasoning

ren1999

First Post
I suppose it has to do with one's belief about how magic works in the Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

In some cases, when a wizard or cleric enchants a weapon with a magically evoked element, that could be a strength versus armor class roll.

But I'm seeing so many magic spells versus armor class in the play-test. I don't think that is a good thing.

Most wizard attacks should be intelligence based versus his target's intelligence or wisdom to suggest that the target could have will, faith or disbelief enough to resist a wizard's attack fully and incur no damage at all.

In some cases, a wizard will just enchant a projectile and the wizard must aim it. This might be a dexterity versus dexterity attack.

Or perhaps the wizard will directly attack the target's constitution in some way requiring an intelligence versus constitution attack.

Making all the spells versus armor class is just uncreative and boring. We can do better!

BobTheNob

First Post
Yep. Didn't like this either. To compare to 3e (just because thats the closer model than 4e is) we always had a couple of spells that were touch attacks, but even then you didnt get your armor against them.

Putting all "real world" arguments (not that any have been raised...if I know this crowd, they will) I always liked the way in 2e that players got chills up there spines when casters entered the frey. The cry of "kill the caster!" still brings a smile to my face. Part of that fear was that all the packed on armor the characters had didnt aid them. No matter how much armor you packed on, when a caster was about you were just as vulnerable as everyone else.

Now, all these damage spells targeting AC? Nah, much preferred the way it played out before, not this "armor protects you from all damage" way.

Keldryn

Adventurer
It's not very realistic, but it's quick, playable, and doesn't require monsters and characters to have a separate defense score just for certain ranged magic attacks.

That counts for a lot.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It's not very realistic, but it's quick, playable, and doesn't require monsters and characters to have a separate defense score just for certain ranged magic attacks.

That counts for a lot.
This is basically how I feel about it too. In theory, it'd be great if you had an AC, a Touch AC, and a "denied Dex bonus to AC" AC. In actual gameplay, it's nice that you only have AC.

This is a microcosm of the difference between 3e and D&DN.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I think spells that create physical energy effects that attack the victim's body should absolutely target AC. Plate mail absorbs and diffuses the heat from the burning ray so that it doesn't burn your precious pink skin. I don't understand why the game designers ever decided otherwise.

VannATLC

First Post
Most wizard attacks should be intelligence based versus his target's intelligence or wisdom to suggest that the target could have will, faith or disbelief enough to resist a wizard's attack fully and incur no damage at all.

I think the idea you can resist any sort of energy based attack with will or faith or disbelief is ridiculous.

More ridiculous than indestructible armour and weapons, even.

I'd be fine to have:

AC 10 + Dex + armor
Dodge 10 + Dex
Saving Throws - Fort Ref Will

And then disadvantage to replace "denied Dex bonus."

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think spells that create physical energy effects that attack the victim's body should absolutely target AC. Plate mail absorbs and diffuses the heat from the burning ray so that it doesn't burn your precious pink skin. I don't understand why the game designers ever decided otherwise.

I agree. A magic missile, which is basically an arrow/bolt formed from force, shouldn't ignore armor just because it's "magic."

Oni

First Post
Any magical bolt that works by essentially creating a physical projectile that could miss (Attack less than 10), be dodged (Dex bonus to AC), or be intervened by hitting a physical barrier (Any number that falls between 10+Dex and a targets max AC) as possible outcomes should be represented by attacking AC. In the end it's not substantially different from firing an arrow.

Remove ads