• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Weapon Pricing Question

Kraedin

First Post
How much would a +1 sword that added +2 to strength cost, and how would that be calculated? Would it just be the (weapon enhancement bonus)^2*2000 + (ability enhancment bonus)^2 * 1000 * 2 (for additional non-similar power)?

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
It would also be reasonable to create a new +2 Str weapon special ability that is equivalent to +1 weapon enhancement. That would be fair and balanced.

But you will probably find kreynolds answer easier to work with and more cost effective when you get to better magical weapons.

Artoomis

First Post
kreynolds is taking what seems to be the most popular approach

Add the weapon bonus price plus the "wondrous item" cost together. The "wondrous item" cost is calculated for an item no using up a slot.

This seems to be the way to handle special powers that do not have a weapon bonus equivalent.

This does have a side effect that a weapon could get really, really powerful - at some point equalling minor artifacts.

Macbrea

First Post
I believe the rules for this are given in Oriental adventures and Magic of Faerun.

If I am not mistaken:

A Shortsword +1, +2 enhancement bonus to strength
6,310 gps

hong

WotC's bitch
Macbrea said:
I believe the rules for this are given in Oriental adventures and Magic of Faerun.

If I am not mistaken:

A Shortsword +1, +2 enhancement bonus to strength
6,310 gps

Nope. However, OA does have the agility weapon enchantment, which gives +2, +4 or +6 to Reflex saves. Cost is +2000, +8000 or +18000 gp. Agility can also be applied to armour, for which there is also the stamina enchantment, which does the same thing for Fort saves.

Finally you have the presence armour enchantment, which gives +2 enhancement bonus to Cha, which is a +2 cost price. I'd be leery about applying the same cost price for +2 Strength, though, since Str and Cha don't usually have the same usefulness.

Artoomis

First Post
hong said:

Nope. However, OA does have the agility weapon enchantment, which gives +2, +4 or +6 to Reflex saves. Cost is +2000, +8000 or +18000 gp. Agility can also be applied to armour, for which there is also the stamina enchantment, which does the same thing for Fort saves.

Finally you have the presence armour enchantment, which gives +2 enhancement bonus to Cha, which is a +2 cost price. I'd be leery about applying the same cost price for +2 Strength, though, since Str and Cha don't usually have the same usefulness.

However, this gives a good guidline, and +2 is generally MORE than 8.000 (for weapons), so it is probably a good way to go.

Cost would then be: 18,000 and change.

This seems reasonable to me, and I generally prefer using a "plus" equivalent for swords and armor as that is the way they are set up.

kreynolds

First Post
Artoomis said:
This does have a side effect that a weapon could get really, really powerful - at some point equalling minor artifacts.

Hardly. Even if a weapon adds +6 to strength, you're still only talkin' about +3 to hit and damage, so it's not that big of a deal. Besides, you're getting the hell charged outta ya' for it. For instance, a +2 keen speed longsword that adds +6 to strength would cost ya' about 170,000gp. That ain't cheap, but it sure ain't artifact level either.

If, however, you're talking about a weapon being artifact level because it grants a bonus to strength higher than +6, well, that's a different thread. :)

Artoomis

First Post
kreynolds said:

Hardly. Even if a weapon adds +6 to strength, you're still only talkin' about +3 to hit and damage, so it's not that big of a deal. Besides, you're getting the hell charged outta ya' for it. For instance, a +2 keen speed longsword that adds +6 to strength would cost ya' about 170,000gp. That ain't cheap, but it sure ain't artifact level either.

If, however, you're talking about a weapon being artifact level because it grants a bonus to strength higher than +6, well, that's a different thread. :)

No, I am talking about the possibility of having a weapon with 10 plusses (the max allowed) plus having other properties tagged on as well.

Yes, it would be expensive. But, if the prices of the "plusses" and the "wondrous item" type cost are simply added together, it could get really, really powerful at much less of a cost than if the additional properties were priced out as "plusses."

That's all I meant.

kreynolds

First Post
Artoomis said:
No, I am talking about the possibility of having a weapon with 10 plusses (the max allowed) plus having other properties tagged on as well.

OK. I got ya'.

Artoomis said:
But, if the prices of the "plusses" and the "wondrous item" type cost are simply added together, it could get really, really powerful at much less of a cost

I don't think it would get that powerful. Besides, that's how all of the magic weapons are built. Base weapon enhancements costs + special powers costs = final price modified by power and usefulness. So, just tweak the price until you like it.

Artoomis said:
if the additional properties were priced out as "plusses."

That doesn't always work though. A +6 to strength bonus, if slapped onto a weapon would add 72,000gp. If slapped onto a pair of gloves, it would be 36,000gp. I think the markup is plenty already. Some things don't work out well as a +type bonus, such as a strength bonus.

Remove ads