• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Artifacts and Relics

Shadeydm

First Post
Hmm I would have guessed more people had used them in their games. Perhaps the aftershocks of WotC's business moves is to fresh and important a topic for folks to bother with run of the mill questions about their campaigns.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
In my long running game they found their first artifact at 5th a sword that slowly changed as it awakened +1, then frost, then +2 then frostbrand, and then a free counterspell against any fire spell within 60'. Somewhere along the way they realized it was the sword of a frost giant god, destined to bring an Ice age. They tried to stop it and would swear every time it increased in power.

At 13th lvl they obtained a second, the orb of lies. The only thing they got it to do at their command was to hide the first artifact. They thought they got it to do a lot of other things, but mostly it lied to them, it took amazingly long for them to stop trusting it.

The PCs got the sword off the prime, so it brought an ice age and a war to the outer planes instead.

Shadeydm

First Post
Great story Evilhalfling! Did they stop weilding the sword once they figured out its true purpose? What was the mechanism for the swords power increases was it tied to PC levels or something else?

recentcoin

Explorer
Heck...Give'em an artifact.....

No one said that it had to be a *useful* artifact or one that they'd actually want. I'm not above giving my players an artifact that is all but useless, particularly if they get pushy about it. You want want an artifact - sure....

*flips through some paper*

How about the Dagger of Healing? Does 2d6+4 dmg but heals 20 HP if it's doesn't kill you first.

Wand of Flowers? Rain rose petals for five minutes

Stone of Summoning? Summons a swarm of butterfiles

Boots of Blinding Speed? Works like a double haste, but you cannot see anything, including what direction you're going. Works too fast for blind fight to be effective.

Cloak of Concealment - renders all of your armor and clothing invisible. Since you are basically naked, you get a -10 on all persuade, diplomacy, bargin, etc. which requires interaction with an NPC or another player

Then again, I suppose that makes me one of the "rat bastard" DM's.....

Engilbrand

First Post
I actually like some of those. With a creative player, some of those are great for RP. "Be amazed as I create BUTTERFLIES!" "OHHHH!!! AHHHHH!!!" Good times.

Remove ads