• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Plants and Fruit

Khuxan

First Post
I've been mucking around on Serif PagePlus, and I came up with a draft layout. I'm not particularly attached to it - feel free to suggest different fonts, colour schemes, layout styles, or make your own. And, obviously, the layout will have to change if we get illustrations/use photos, and depending on the number and length of the submissions.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My coolest plant is shardvine. It's native to the region between Elemental Fire and Elemental Wood. It's got crystal parts which convert heat into light, and then project the light through its (also crystal) root-flowers. It cools the Wood region closest to Fire, and warms & lights the regions farther away.

It could be transported to any fire-and-fertilizer rich environment, like a volcano. Nice subterranean lighting with a plausible explanation. :)

Cheers, -- N

Khuxan said:
I've been mucking around on Serif PagePlus, and I came up with a draft layout. I'm not particularly attached to it - feel free to suggest different fonts, colour schemes, layout styles, or make your own. And, obviously, the layout will have to change if we get illustrations/use photos, and depending on the number and length of the submissions.
I think that the layout looks cool, that I'll have to look more at the vast potential of desktop publishing, and that art sells better than words. Perhaps to avoid trampling all over others who have made a habit of publishing "101 x," we might call it something else.

Arcane Harvest?
Magical Bushel?
Eldritchberries and other Magical Flora?
Morrus's Garden?
Something clever and evocative beyond my current faculties?

GrandArchon

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
I think that the layout looks cool, that I'll have to look more at the vast potential of desktop publishing, and that art sells better than words. Perhaps to avoid trampling all over others who have made a habit of publishing "101 x," we might call it something else.

Arcane Harvest?
Magical Bushel?
Eldritchberries and other Magical Flora?
Morrus's Garden?
Something clever and evocative beyond my current faculties?

Thaumaturgical Flora:
An adventure's guide on what to eat-
What not to eat-
And how not to be eaten.​

And now for my own contributions:

The Pit Lily: A distant relative to the carnivorous Pitcher Plant, the Pit Lily is believed to be the brain-child of a particularly unpleasant and xenophobic Druid. The most visible portion of the plant resembles a small, woody and leafless tree, bearing a single, hard, glowing golden fruit. The fruit causes the 'tree' to lean slightly, the position of the fruit marks the centre of the plant's more dangerous aspect- a pit. Once the Lily has reached maturity, the pit tends to be as deep as twice the height of an ordinary man (around 12 feet), though older plants can be deeper. The inside of the pit is lined with downward pointing thorns, and at its bottom a pool of powerful base collects.

The mechanism by which the plant collects its nutrition is both complex and devious- The 'fruit' bears a minor 'Suggestion' enchantment (as cast by a 6th level wizard or sorcerer) which bids those within its radius of effect to come and pluck it from the 'tree'. If they succumb to the urges of the Lily, and step up to the fruit, they trigger a weight-sensitive (medium size) sphincter to open up, dropping them into the pool of base below. The base slowly dissolves its victim over time (1d4 of acid damage per round). Attempts to climb or pull a victim out can be equally lethal, as the thorns lining the walls of the pit, while harmless to objects in descent, can rip at the flesh of the captive (1d4 lethal damage on a successful climb check, with a -2 penalty to such checks) as it tries to escape. As the Lily completes the process of breaking its victim down into nutrients, the sphincter closes and becomes camouflaged with fallen leaves and dirt.

On a curious note, as the Lily can not digest metals or strong minerals, things such as coins, armor and weapons, gem stones and jewelry are regurgitated over time; particularly old Pit Lilies can amass large piles of treasure at their bases, making them all the more alluring. Pit Lilies grow only in environments with soft, deep soil and highly basic ground-water.

Lash Root: The name of this dangerous plant is something of a misnomer, the visible aspect of the plant for which it was named is not, in fact, the root. It does appear that way however, as they resemble nothing so much as a tangle of long, tough, woody roots covered in large, vicious thorns.

The plant in question obtains its nutrients by lashing its foes to death, hence the first part of its name. The plant first detects the presence of potential prey using fine hairs to measure changes in carbon-dioxide levels that correspond with the presence of small-sized or larger animals. This triggers muscle-like fibers within the vines to twitch rapidly, which in turn results in the lashing motion of the plant which then lacerates the flesh of any creature near it (causing 1d6 damage per round) possibly even ensnaring its prey. Once the creature is dead and no longer exhaling air to trigger the plant, the actual roots then begin to absorb the nutrients of the body as it slowly decomposes.

Lash root tends to grow in hot, arid climates, though it has been cultivated in temperate zones as well. It prefers to grow amongst rocks, or very rocky soil. In particular, it prefers to grow on vertical surfaces, such as sinkholes, canyons and ravines, or upside-down, typically from the undersides of low-hanging ledges and natural bridges. It has also been known to grow in caverns, though this is rare. It does not grow by itself, but in large colonies, typically lining both sides of whole ravines or canyons. Hardy and tough, it does well when cultivated and grows quickly and multiplies plentifully, but as it grows from its sapling state to maturity it eventually becomes nigh-impossible to remove except by the application of strong herbicides or intense flame.

Last edited:

Warren Okuma

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
I Agree.

Perhaps if ENWorld is keeping all of the proceeds, it could be published by ENPress.
OT: I also agree with you and Khuxan. All proceeds should be given to ENWorld and EnPress.

Okay Arbiter, and Khuxan. Let's start the mailing list (I'm not running a mailing list, BTW).

wokuma@lava.net

Back to Topic:
Temperate:
Sarukinu: It's a rare Elvish mushroom, that looks like a big flat brown mushroom. It is very difficult to tell the difference between a Sarukinu and the poisonous mushroom. The Saru is a very meaty woodsy mushroom Survival or Nature DC 18 to find. It is sold for 10 gp each. It's magical properties give the eater a +1 ranks in diplomacy for the purposes of seduction for a period of 1D3+2 hours. The mushroom when picked will keep it's magical properties for seven sunrises, twelve if roots and all are harvested. Usually found in clusters of 1D6 plants. Druids merely harvest the top, and leave the roots so that they can grow again, and look poorly on those who harvest roots and may kill the offender if they repeat their crime.

Shadow Fruit: This weird black tree grows in the dark and is nourished by the dark, it kind of looks like a black pear tree and grows in temperate climates. It's black fruit is very delicious and filling. Ah, too bad it's not nutritious. Lots of fiber though. Believed from the demi plane of shadow. However roots, bark, blossoms, and fruit are used in the construction of darkness or stealth based magical items with a value of 1 gp per profession: Alchemy check. Larger trees may give a larger yield. Harvested trees or smaller trees may give little or no materials. Materials weigh one lb per gp. If the tree is killed it will yield 10 gp per point of the alchemy check. Druids and Rangers will kill the tree on sight or will insist on harvesting it to death as these trees are clearly unnatural.

Priakal Vine: This ordinary looking vine produces a very valuable sap worth 10 gp per pound, and is 100 doses per pound. If added to boiling water it produces an invigorating drink. This drink gives a +1 to spot and listen and Con checks for six hours. At night you need a Fort 10 to sleep or you will wake up fatigued.

Purple Keen: This purple shrub's root is very sweet root is a forest delicacy. One hour after eating one pound of root, the sugars make the exhausted condition improve to fatigued, or if fatigued, it removes this condition but not both. 2 gp per lb.

Forest spiral: This very dark green spiral shaped weed ground up and used on a wound heals one extra point the next day. One use only. DC 12 to find. Survival 15 or Alchemy check 10 to prepare. 10 gp per pound and has ten doses. Keeps only for a month.

Jesus_marley

First Post
Magefoil - The magefoil tree is probably one the most misnamed plants in existence. The tree, contrary to it's name, is a boon to those who practice the magical arts. this small, unassuming tree grows in groups of 5 -15 individual plants, usually 10 -15 metres apart and has clusters of five spearlike leaves 12-15 centimetres in length growing from the end of each branch. The tree has actually developed a symbiotic relationship with magic users, who have unknowingly become the magefoil's primary pollinators.
The magefoil produces a single flower (dark blue) once every 30 days. the nectar of the flower, while not itself magical, enhances the efficacy of magical potions in which it is added (GMs use your imaginations). Generally, the nectar of at least 3-5 flowers is required for one potion.
The fruit of the magefoil is fast growing and strangely, seedless. the fruit will ripen after 18 days and drop from the tree usually 22 days after pollination. The fruit itself is bitter tasting though highly nutritious, but its true value lies in that the juice can be used as a natural ink for scribing scrolls. One fruit provides enough "ink" to scribe one spell level.

All attempts at cultivating the magefoil have failed. Exactly how it reproduces is unknown, although there is a widely held belief that the magefoil thrives on residual magical energies found around the dwellings of magic users as this is where the plants can most often be found, usually within 200 metres of such dwellings. This being said, the magefoil is still quite rare, and any magic user who happens to find a grove is considered to be fortunate indeed.

Remove ads