• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magus, touch attacks and Elemental Touch

Hey

I was looking at the spell Elemental Touch, and then at the Spellstrike ability of the Magus class. It says
"At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list,(...)"

Elemental Touch has ironically range "personal." Does it mean it cannot be used with Spellstrike?

If so, is this intentional or an oversight? Also, does Spellstrike allow you to keep making free touch attacks each round, or even on multiple attacks?

Or is Elemental Strike mainly intended for those with claws/slam attack? As it is, few wizards would bother casting a 2nd level spell just to get 1d6 touch attack damage for a few rounds.

enrious

We ruled that "touch" means "touch" because that came up and oddly, the magus player was the one arguing for strict interpretation.

And bear in mind that the free touch attack per round thing lasts only as long as the magus has memorized spells, which are being consumed by the attack.

Also bear in mind "Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon..." so that's *one* attack with a weapon, that also allows the spell to take effect, so no multiple attacks.

We ruled that "touch" means "touch" because that came up and oddly, the magus player was the one arguing for strict interpretation.

And bear in mind that the free touch attack per round thing lasts only as long as the magus has memorized spells, which are being consumed by the attack.

Also bear in mind "Instead of the free melee touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a magus can make one free melee attack with his weapon..." so that's *one* attack with a weapon, that also allows the spell to take effect, so no multiple attacks.

I consider houseruling this as well. As for the free attack and spell consumption - Elemental Touch, just like Chill Touch, actually give several touch attacks, presumably over several rounds (although the latter could be interpreted to a crazy amount of touch attacks in one round).

Now, if he only gets one single Songstrike after casting ET, and normal 1d6 touch attacks per round after that, then it would be far better to just cast Shocking Grasp instead for a nice extra 4-5d6 damage right off the bat. If it works as I think tho, he could continue using Spellstrike until he is out of touch attacks from the spell, which would mean having to cast a new one.

And ET is after all a 2nd level spell, so it should be as useful as SG or more.

enrious

I don't think you can call it a houserule when the actual RAW says only "touch" and Elemental Touch is "Personal".

Thus, Elemental Touch is not a spell that can be delivered via Spellstrike.

And yes, as long as you have touch spells, you can Spellstrike but honestly given its limiations, it's not overpowered. SG is a nice spell to be delivered by Spellstrike, unless the Magus makes the effort to be more of a fighter-type.

I don't think you can call it a houserule when the actual RAW says only "touch" and Elemental Touch is "Personal".

Thus, Elemental Touch is not a spell that can be delivered via Spellstrike.

And yes, as long as you have touch spells, you can Spellstrike but honestly given its limiations, it's not overpowered. SG is a nice spell to be delivered by Spellstrike, unless the Magus makes the effort to be more of a fighter-type.

You get me wrong, the house rule would be to allow the spell with Spellstrike. For no other reason that it makes sense and is hardly overpowered on it's own. Being able to stagger an enemy is nice, but the damage is underwhelming for a 2nd level spell anywya - even Chill Touch is comparable, which was generally one of the least appealing 1st level spells for me in 3rd ed. With Spellstrike it is actually ok, at least at low levels.

Remove ads