Main Difficulties in Hosting Local Games (GMs)?

#1 problem when hosting games as a GM?

• Finding people with compatible schedules (time/day) or play frequency (monthly, biweekly, etc.)

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Can't find a good hosting venue

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Agreeing on a game system (D&D 5/4/3, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Agreeing on how to play the game system (combat vs. roleplay, GM vs. player driven story, etc.)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Finding players in my age range

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Finding players with compatible personalities

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Finding players with a compatible level of system mastery/character optimization

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Too much time/effort to prepare game content

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other (comment with more info)

Votes: 6 14.0%

aramis erak

Legend
My biggest problem is a venue. Life in the burbs was bad enough - but having moved to the countryside, the idea of getting people out here is laughable.

My biggest problem is a venue. Life in the burbs was bad enough - but having moved to the countryside, the idea of getting people out here is laughable.
Consider a VTT. It's not the same as in person, but it will let you play. IMO, the versatility and benefits far outweigh not being able to play :)

aramis erak

Legend
Consider a VTT. It's not the same as in person, but it will let you play. IMO, the versatility and benefits far outweigh not being able to play :)

I have, and have rejected it as impractical. The ones I can afford suck, and the ones I can't afford won't run on my hardware, anyway.

There is no substitute for a FTF private game.

I love gaming with the guys I game with using VOIP, but neither they nor I have reliable internet. And It's hard for me, because I'm missing about 20% of what they say, because I can't see their lips. And we have constant issues with hardware.

I love gaming with the guys I game with using VOIP, but neither they nor I have reliable internet. And It's hard for me, because I'm missing about 20% of what they say, because I can't see their lips. And we have constant issues with hardware.
Have you considered going chat based? Not as fast as voice, but much more tolerant of poor internet connections. And those people that play using chat say it's much more immersive than voice.

Or what about play by post?

I know, too slow, not the same, etc. But if you want to play, you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. If you can't play FtF becaause of where you live, you're going to have to compromise.

Have you considered going chat based? Not as fast as voice, but much more tolerant of poor internet connections. And those people that play using chat say it's much more immersive than voice.

Or what about play by post?

I know, too slow, not the same, etc. But if you want to play, you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. If you can't play FtF because of where you live, you're going to have to compromise.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
The real problem, especially for VTT, is how things work in the home. If your wife isn't happy with you spending hours talking to others online about a game and not straightening up the house or whatever, then it's not going to work in any case.

sim-h

Explorer
It's a no-win situation.

If you have enough time on your hands to set up a regular game, say twice a week, then it's guaranteed nobody else will be able to join you that frequently. You'll end up playing weekly at best, or bi-weekly or monthly and twiddling your thumbs the rest of the time.

On the other hand, if you don't have enough time to play as often as you like due to family, work, or child-rearing commitments then you're already stuck with bi-weekly or monthly sessions.

Sadly, life is not geared up to constant playing of RPGs. It should be - but it isn't! :rant:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I voted for too much time/effort. My current group is all old-timers, and we often switch who is DMing. However, a lot of campaigns die because the DM runs out of spare time to prep (or even show up, some times).

Secondarily, I point to lack of agreement on system. They're honestly just too familiar with D&D, so we keep banging our head on that wall. This is despite my showing them other systems (Dungeon World, Fate, Old School Hack) that don't require the same amount of "homework" for the DM.

Similarly, if I were to put up a sign in the FLGS, I would have a full table in minutes for D&D, but can't get people to engage in other systems.

Jhaelen

First Post
Similarly, if I were to put up a sign in the FLGS, I would have a full table in minutes for D&D, but can't get people to engage in other systems.
Don't I know about it! It's really hard to get people interested in less well known RPG systems and even harder to find a group interested in playing an entire campaign.

Remove ads