• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maissen: Shades of Grey [UPDATE 12/12, post 199]

Beale Knight

First Post
Greylock said:
I think it's funny you've attributed this line to my char...
The session prior to us heading to the elves I thought Johanna (Bessie) was OOC thrilled about seeing them finally.

Y'know, now that you bring it up, you're right. It probably would have been better to have those two lines said by the opposite characters. I'd fix it in editing, but then no one wold understand what we're talking about here! :lol:

Beale Knight

First Post
07-01 Meetings, Greetings, A Dumb Bear, and the Graying of Truth Begins

The giant crocodile wheeled around and jumped and bucked like a fierce wild animal, but the elves on its back hung on and laughed. They steered it around for a few minutes before settling down and giving it a rest. This wasn’t the fierce beast the Maisseners has thought, but something more akin to a giant pet.

Bessie was grinning widely. “So what are we waiting on?” She brushed some dust of her tunic and began to ride down to the crowd.

Aneirin and Ren looked at each other. “Well,” Ren said, “I guess they’ll see us coming and send someone to meet us halfway.”

Ren was proved right. As the trio casually rode down the slope they soon saw some figures jogging up their way. Humans.

“Amazing,” one of them called out. “Just amazing. We never thought we’d see any of the other questers outside Maissen.” He re-introduced himself as Morten, and the other three as Cane, Janos, and Anteros. “Those are some fine horses!” Cane said. “Wasn’t there another woman in your group?” asked Anteros. He eyed Aneirin. “And you weren’t with them, were you? I seem to remember a shorter man.”

“This is Aneirin,” Ren said. “We sort of found him along the way.”

“How did you all come to be with the elves?” Bessie asked. There was more than a little tinge of eagerness in her voice.

The Heroes from Kern laughed. “We were decidedly un-heroic,” Morten said. We headed in a sort of westerly direction from that fort, fought a few chakta, and nearly got killed. We happened to come across these elves here on their travels, they’re nomads you see, and they’ve let us stay with them since.”

“We decided we can stick with them for another few weeks, then go on back to Maissen and retire as famous heroes,” Cane said.

“And still be alive,” Janos added. “It’s pretty dangerous out here.”

“We know,” Ren said. “We just lost two of our party the other day.” He sighed. “Is there a mayor or something like it here? We’d like to talk to someone in charge that might know some things.”

“Sure,” Morten said. “These are a clan kind of folk, and we can introduce you to some of the clan chiefs, but later. Right now you’ll want to see what’s about to go down in the Challenge Ground. One warning – the elves don’t mind visitors, but keep your weapons sheathed. Act like you’re going to draw one, and you’ll be peppered with more arrows than you can count faster than you’d believe.”

The Heroes of Kern led those from Vaunth-on-the-Lake to the edge of the crowd gathered around the large clearing in the middle of the camp. As he did he explained that each clan has an animal avatar – not a symbol, but an actual avatar. All the gigantic animals about the area were the protectors of the clans. They aren’t immortal, they age and can be killed. Every so often, there is a change in avatars, with a younger, healthier one challenging the current one. That’s what was about to happen. The bear clan’s current avatar was being challenged for the position.

“And there’s betting,” Janos said. “The smart money’s on the challenger – the big one there.” He pointed to a monstrous bear striding toward the challenge grounds. Approaching the grounds from the opposite side was an oversized elf with an equally oversized flail.

A horn sounded and the two began to slowly move toward each other. Ren turned to Aneirin. “It’s not hard to guess why the money’s on the challenger,” he said. By the time he turned back, the contest was over. The elf was on his back and the giant bear was howling in triumph.

“No, not hard at all,” Aneirin said. “Well that was interesting. Now, about talking with the clan chiefs.”

Morten led them through the camp to a large tent. Inside, amid the shadows and haze of smoke, were three figures sitting and passing a pipe between them. Morten bid the Heroes from Vaunth-on-the-Lake to wait as he quietly stepped up and whispered something to them. They nodded and Morten waved the others over.

“These are the chiefs of the Crow, Brown Bear, and Python clan,” he said. “They’ll be happy to talk with you. If you’ll excuse me though, I have to see to some winnings.”

Bessie made the introductions, and the three were invited to sit. “You saw the challenge just now, I suppose?” the Crow chief asked.

“Indeed,” Bessie said. “We didn’t know quite what to make of it though.”

“Ah, it’s an ancient way,” the Brown Bear clan chief said. “The avatars are guardians and they’ve kept us safe for more generations than we remember. The loser will have to leave of course, ostracized and unnamed now, but the clan will be healthier for it.”

Ren held his tongue. Bessie mercifully changed the subject. “So where have you traveled? Morten said you were nomads.”

The chiefs nodded. “That we are,” the Crow chief said. “We have a regular way that we travel, going as the land calls us in its own time and way.” He took a draw on the pipe and offered it to Aneirin. “Where have you been?”

“We just came from the dwarves,” Bessie said. “And recently were ambushed at the rope bridge not far from here.”

The clan chiefs nodded. They obviously knew the bridge.

“I’m afraid the bridge has been ruined,” Bessie said. “And we lost two of our party in the battle there. We were wondering if you might know something of the villain we fought – a witch woman whose body was a shell hosting a swarm of insects.”

The clan chiefs perked up at this and began speaking in their own language. From the shadows a new figure stepped forward from the tent’s shadows. “Tell me about this ‘witch woman’!” he demanded, anger thick in his voice.

The Maisseners took in the sight of this elf and concluded at once that he must be from a different tribe, if not a different culture altogether, than the nomads here. Where all the other elves they’d seen had been wearing leathers and feathers and seemed generally relaxed and happy, this one was hard muscled in thick leather armor and armed to the teeth. And his demeanor was far from relaxed. He looked ready to explode into violence.

“And just who are you?” Aneirin said. His hand drifted to his sword, but he kept from gripping it.

“Call me Kane,” the elf said. He waited a moment. “Well, tell me of this ‘villain,” he repeated.

Bessie told the tale of the ambush, of the goblins and the witch woman, how the bridge was cut, and how the last arrow broke the woman’s skin apart and let loose the swarm of insects. When she was done, Kane’s shoulder’s slumped.

“That was my sister,” he said. “She was taken by a lich and transformed. I had hoped to find and save her. Now….”

The Crow clan leader said something the Kane in elvish, and the warrior stepped over and pulled a scroll from a case. “We’d like you to see something,” the clan chief said to the Maisseners. Kane unfurled the scroll to reveal an intricately detailed picture of a horror. It was a figure of human shape, but taller and with body parts segmented as if patched together. Blood oozed from where the pieces met. The entire figure had a withered, dry appearance to it.

Aneirin, Bessie, and Ren gasped at the portrait. This wasn’t the insect witch woman, but it was someone they’d seen. This was the demon that appeared out of smoke during our last meeting with the redbreasts.

“We’ve seen him,” Ren said.

The eyes on the elves grew wide. They briefly exchanged some words in their own tongue and then the Crow chief faced the Maisseners. “You’ve seen this one?” he asked. “When, where?”

Ren recounted the party’s encounter with the redbreasts at the plateau village at Ghost Dragon Mountain, and how the figure appeared just as they were leaving.

“You were very lucky,” the chief said. “Few who are not his servants lay eyes on him and live.”

“Who is this demon then?” Anierin asked.

“That is no demon,” the Python Chief answered. “That is the lich that captured Kane’s sister by force and turned her into the monstrosity you battled. He is the master she spoke of. A ruthless demagogue that, every fifteen years or so, makes another push for additional power. And this is that time.”

Anierin sighed. “Yes, but who is he?”

“Idien.”

Next: More Gray, a “Blessing and a Burden”, and Miriam the Still [POST 109]
Soon: Desert Battles

Last edited:

brellin

First Post
a lich huh this is starting to get good.But I have a question Mr. DM aren't the players a little in Lv. to be playing with a lich :confused: oh yeah MORE STORY! MORE STORY! MORE STORY!

Greylock

First Post
brellin said:
...oh yeah MORE STORY! MORE STORY! MORE STORY!

:) :D :lol:

Beale Knight certainly gets pestered by the rest of us. He does an excellent job writing this up, but whoo-eee! The boy needs some focus, FOCUS I tells ya. What's it going to be, wife, child, job or the Story Hour? Betcha anything that right now BK is out playing in the mud. ;)

Beale Knight

First Post
Mud

Greylock said:
:) :D :lol:

Beale Knight certainly gets pestered by the rest of us. He does an excellent job writing this up, but whoo-eee! The boy needs some focus, FOCUS I tells ya. What's it going to be, wife, child, job or the Story Hour? Betcha anything that right now BK is out playing in the mud. ;)

As a matter of fact, at 7:17 yesterday evening (local time) I was indeed slooging through mud that's at the stage of just-starting-to-dry wherein you're not sure if the mudpile ahead of you is just slushy and wet, or it'll swallow your shoe. :)

Another update by dawn Monday.

Beale Knight

First Post
7-02 More Gray, "A Burden and a Blessing", Miraim the Still

The Heroes from Maissen gaped, then began to speak at once. “Idien?” “The same Idien?” After a few moments they calmed down and the chief of the Crow Clan nodded.

“He is the same one that was once brother to Maissen and Lastell, the one that left for the desert and forsook his humanity for power and virtually immortality. The evil, the old one, the broker. That is him.” He paused to draw from the pipe just handed him. “His activities are not unexpected. Every fifteen full seasons he rises from the western desert to attempt another drive for power. None of his evil schemes have yet succeeded, though thwarting them has ever carried a high price.”

“Such as my sister,” said Kane.

Ren was scratching his head. “This means the redbreasts aren’t just consorting with a wizard, or even some demon. They’ve actually thrown in with Maissen’s greatest enemy.”

“That is something that you should tell your council about,” the elf chief said.

Bessie nodded. “That’s something we will have to do once we return to Maissen.”

“There’s no need to wait for that. Lady Miriam, the loremaster, is hunting in the mountains just north of here.”

“What? How can she be there?” Ren asked in disbelief.

The Crow Chief shrugged. “She has a flying horse as I recall. It can get here there well enough.”

That he had just mentioned a flying horse washed right over Ren. “But Maisseners can’t leave Maissen.”

Bessie nodded. “It’s prohibited by law.”

The elf chuckled. “And who makes the law? Don’t you imagine they’d make exceptions for themselves? The council member of Maissen cross freely the border of their nation. We’ve met most of them at one time or another.”

Ren’s jaw dropped. He rubbed his forehead. “They’ve lied. They’ve lied to us about the law. They’ve never said the first word about exceptions.”

The Crow Chief looked at him oddly. “What would if had mattered if they hadn’t? What would that change in your life?”

“Nothing practical, for sure. But they demand trust and obedience from us, and here we are finding out they have no trust for us. They could say there’s exceptions and say why. What would that change about their special privilege?”

The pipe had circled around again and the chief took another draw. “That I leave to you to say to your leaders. If you’d care to tell the council about what you’ve learned, you have an opportunity close at hand. Your issue with them will not be solved in this tent, so why not let us turn the conversation to other topics. We would be very interested in hearing more of the adventures that brought you to us.”

The trio began telling of their days since leaving Maissen. They told of the spiders, the buffalo riders they’d killed near the giant chakta camp, of what happened in the rift valley, and then the tale of Hilltopple house. That last drew a great many nods and quiet noises of respect from the elves. They told of meeting the gnomes, dealing with the farunk, breezed over the encounter with the redbreasts, and then spoke of their time with the dwarves and the past two days since.

“You sound very much like Heroes then,” the Brown Bear chief said. “Even if you have not yet fought any giants. I believe you would do well against them.” He thought for a minute and a smile grew on his face. “It seems to me that you being great Heroes you deserve something of burden and benefit.”

Aneirin, Bessie, and Ren looked at each other, trying to unravel the enigmatic praise. The chief made it clear a moment later. “The large, now nameless, elf you saw defeated in the Avatar Challenge needs a place to go. Kane wishes to track down Idien. You are the answer to both their needs. What do you think of it, Kane?”

The armored elf wore his scowl again. “It will serve, for awhile. I have my own sources and leads that may come through at any time.” His glance to the humans suggested that he wouldn’t hesitate to leave them behind if he thought he had a better way to meet his goal than to travel with them.

“You don’t plan on just murdering us in our sleep do you?” Ren asked. He smiled as he said the words, but the question was earnest. The elf had an obvious contempt for humans, but still seemed to be a thoughtful and competent warrior. Or ranger. Or well armed sorcerer. Or perhaps some kind of bard. Ren simply had no idea what Kane was capable of, but the trio could use some bolstering.

“I assure you the chances of that are nil,” the Brown Bear chief said. When Kane smiled a toothy smile without otherwise letting up his scowl, the chief added, “virtually. Now – let us introduce you to the nameless one.”

A few moments later the tall elf, last seen sprawled on his back in the dust of the Challenge Ground, entered the tent. The elves spoke to him in their own tongue, but even they did so slowly. The Maisseners studied him as the conversation, mostly one sided, went on. The elf was certainly large for his race, taller than Ren’s shoulder and with muscles larger than Aneirin’s – adjusted for overall size. The elf carried a huge flail with odd writing on it, elven the Maisseners supposed, and he held the weapon in a death grip that paled his knuckles. After many long minutes the chiefs turned their attention back to the Maisseners. “The nameless one has agreed to come along.”

“We’re going to have to have something to call you,” Aneirin said to the big elf.

“Alas, he speaks only our tongue,” The Crocodile chief said. He sighed. “And that none too well, I fear.”

“There’s the burden part,” Ren said. “And one other reason we need Kane to come along.”

Kane and the nameless elf exchanged a few words just then. Suddenly the bigger elf was nodding ferociously and smiling with great enthusiasm. Kane translated. “He says that even though he lost his fight he is happy to continue his role as Bear, a protector. And that it doesn’t matter if he is thought Dumb if he can still be Bear. So he is now Dumb Bear.”

“Oh Great Stars,” Bessie exclaimed with a chuckle. Ren suppressed laughter and shook his head. Aneirin muttered something about dignity, but nodded nonetheless. All of the Maisseners had formed the same opinion of the big elf. Though he was plainly as smart as Madge had been beautiful, he was powerful and of good heart. He would be a worthy companion.

That settled they engaged in more interesting things – trade. The Maisseners had little coin, but the Crow clan leader was interested in Ren’s Arrow of Beast Slaying. For it, he offered his mount – a horse sized monitor war-lizard. Ren was amazed. He rode the animal for many minutes and bonded well with her. For the hunter from Vaunth-on-the-Lake, it was an easy trade. Bessie sought some herbs and lore she might not know, but her success was limited.

Before they bedded for the night the Maisseners learned one other amazing fact about elven culture. One that seemed in some ways obvious but in other ways far too conincidental. The elves worship the same gods as Maisseners.

The next morning marked twenty days since the original party left Maissen, and it began early; elves don’t sleep as humans do and get going earlier. With Dumbear and Kane, the Maisseners mounted up and headed north: three humans, two elves, three light horses, one war horse, and a giant war-lizard. With the tallest of the mountains to the west they made their way to the great steppes. A wide and well worn path led up and soon they were high into the mountains’ western reaches.

A great roar echoed through the mountains as they climbed. They turned as one and saw a huge beast, long and scaled as a dragon, but with the head and mane of a lion. It sat on a peak about 900’ away, contentedly chewing on a wild horse. The group stared in amazement for a few moments, than continued before it thought about a dessert.

The path later forked, but there was no real choice. One branch led to an endless field of spiky rocks. The other made its way into the mountains. The switchbacks of the trail into the mountains cut the party’s line of sight considerably. After the experience on the rope bridge they had no desire to be ambushed again, so Ren left his mount and scouted ahead. He had gone about halfway from the rest of the group to the mouth of a cave when a woman’s voice called out.

“You can’t sneak up on me.”

Ren froze and hoped he was still out of sight. “Who might you be now that I can’t sneak up on?”

There was a laugh. “As the one here first I say I have the right to know who approaches more than you to whom you approach.”

Ren and the unseen woman went back and forth in that way for several minutes. The hunter was sure to whom the other voice must belong, but kept going until he had no doubt. Finally he was convinced he was indeed bantering with Miriam the Still of the Maissen ruling council. Only then did he step forward where she could see him. She was there in a large cave with her horse, which had no wings, and a mousy looking squire lingering in the back with a mule.

“Lady Miriam? We have a lot to talk about.”

Ren spent about twenty minutes with Miriam, capsulising what had happened since the party left Maissen, and then asked to bring the rest of the group forward to speak with her. Then with everyone assembled, they began to tell more details. Though the two elves were plainly bored, the Maissen council member listened intently. Her reaction wasn’t even close to what Ren and Bessie expected. She frankly scoffed and laughed at the tale of Hilltopple House and Aneirin, and doubted what the party said about the redbreasts and Idein.

At last, feeling exasperated, Ren asked, “So with all your power have you got some way to read into our minds to tell if we’re telling the truth or not?”

Miriam gave him a quizzical look. “If I could, you would be willing to subject yourself to that? It is a rather intense invasion of your person.” Ren nodded. So did Bessie and Aneirin. “Very well then. As it happens I can do that, but it will be tomorrow before I can make the attempt. The process is not easy on the reader any more than it is the read.”

“We’ll wait here,” Bessie said.

Miriam waved her hand. “Oh no need for that. Keep your travels going, you have a quest to see to after all.” She reached into one of her many bags and pulled forth a jeweled broach. Handing it to Bessie, Miriam said, “Keep this with you, it will enable me to find you.” She smiled when Bessie took it and then said, “Now, let’s to more interesting topics. How have you found the hunting in these parts?”

The other Maisseners blinked. “uh – fine,” Ren said. “We actually were hoping to ask you some more about Idien.”

Miriam waved her hand. “Yes, yes. Big lich, the brother that turned to evil. Still comes back about every generation and someone raises an army to give him the boot. What about large animals? Have you seen any sign of those.”

“A few,” Bessie answered. “We saw an elefant at Hilltopple house. But we were wondering about this other human settlement to the north. Do you know anything about it?”

“Well yes,” Miriam said. She paused to take a drink and Ren jumped in.

“So you know about it?” he asked. “This is something that the council knows about but has kept a secret from the common folk of the country?”

“Well you know politics and political concerns sometimes keep things that way,” she answered. “Have you seen any wild beast like that lizard mount of yours? She’s fantastic.”

“She’s been very good so far,” Ren said. “The elves might know where her wild cousins are. So the council doesn’t think that telling the people that there’s other people alive in the world might do them some good, give them some hope in dark times.”

Miriam waved the comment away. “I told you it’s a matter of politics. Have you seen any great beasts since leaving the elf camp?”

Ren and Bessie both sighed. Aneirin only rolled his eyes as if he’d had experience in that kind of political thinking before. “We saw some kind of dragonish lion, or lionish dragon, just as we came up the trail,” Bessie said.

Now Miriam lit up. “A dragonne!” She exclaimed with an almost girlish squeal. She turned to her squire and said, “Load up!” She stood and gathered some of her nearby equipment. “Thank you very much for that lead. I will find you tomorrow.”

Ren started to say something, but let the words die in his open mouth. The group stood and quietly watched as Miraim mounted her steed. Joy on her face, she galloped out of the cave and jumped into the air beyond, the horse flying as if it had wings. The squire on the mule followed suit, but neither had anything close to joy on their faces.

Once they were gone, Anierin asked, “What were you about to say, Ren?”

Ren shrugged. “I was wondering why it isn’t called a dragon-lion, or if dragon-knee means the same thing in another language. But she probably would have said it was matter of politics and that’s the way things are.” He huffed. “C’mon, let’s load up and get moving ourselves.

Next: The tunnel, the reading, and the desert battle. POST #112
Soon: Seaside fight, coming to Lastel

Last edited:

Remove ads