• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maissen: Shades of Grey [UPDATE 12/12, post 199]

Beale Knight

First Post
Back at it!

Sorry for my extended absence everyone.

Thanks, Greylock, for playing host during it. Brellin, I appreciate your interest even more than Greylock expressed. Without an interested audience I'm talking to myself (and in a bad way! :) ). Arbiter - Greylock's description of my handle is dead on accurate. Hope you're able to find a good group soon.

So far as the story hour goes, as Greylock said, I missed one week prepping for my D&D campaign (a not quite total reboot, just introducing four PCs to the one that remained after the three others that started the campaign with him moved :eek: ). That was followed by surgery that left me unable to sit upright for more than a few minutes at a time (and taught me just how much time I spend sitting at a computer). By the time I could sit and type I had to work on my project for Silven publishing (almost finished!). That's all past, but I thought you folks might like an explanation about the delay.

However, without further ado - here's the next installment in the Maissen story hour!

Beale Knight

First Post
8 - 2 Lizard-men

The Maisseners and elves looked back and forth to one another at that strange declaration.

“You’ve been *expecting* us?” Bessie asked, finally.

The most venerable of the old men slowly got to his feet. “Indeed we have. You *are* heroes are you not?”

“We’ve had people call us that,” said Aneirin.

The old man smiled. “Then you are truly the answers to our prayers.”

“Well,” Ren said, “if we’ve answered your prayers, how about you answering some of our questions? Seems like a fair thing.”

Confusion showed on the old man’s face. “You don’t know what’s happened?”

“How would we? We only just arrived.”

“But – I –“ the old man stammered and looked at his fellows at the table for help. He sat back down and the men at the table put their heads together for a whispered conversation.

“Why would they think we know what’s happened here?” Bessie asked.

Ren shrugged. “Apparently as the answer to their prayers we should have come down from heaven itself, fully informed and with a plan ready to go.”

Just then the old man stood again. “Well…then, what are your questions – exactly?”

“Who exactly are you and where are we?” Aneirin asked.

“We are the Sons of Lastelle,” the old man said.

Bessie nodded. “That answers a fairly old historical mystery.”

“A mystery to us,” Ren said. “I’d wager our fair leaders know all about this place.”

The old man went on to explain that when the earthquake hit, most of their adult men were out in the fishing boats. Virtually none returned. And then the raids came. The raids, the Sons of Lastelle explained, were the work of The Drake of Legend, or The Legendary Drakemaster and his clan of lizards. These were either different aspects of the same legend or their telling depending on which old man was doing the talking at any given moment. Regardless, the raids every few hours were a cold hard fact. Pole arm wielding Lizard-Men, and their smaller counterparts, called Kobolds, had used Drakes, big lizard mounts (“That explains why the youths at the barricade were so angry when they saw me,” Ren muttered), to knock down the town gate, and had been coming down the mountain, raiding the town at their leisure.

“And now you have come to put an end to it,” the old man said.

“Because we are the answer to your prayers,” Aneirin said. “But that’s all you’ve done?”

The old man blinked at him. “What else should we have done? We’ve no warriors to speak of in town. We needed heroes. We prayed for them. And it worked. Here you are.”

“We are here,” Bessie said. “But we could use a moment to talk amongst ourselves, if you’ll excuse us.”

They stepped out into the hall and closed the door to the council chamber. “These people are mad,” Kane said.

Bessie nodded. “That doesn’t make their plight any less serious though.”

“Why haven’t they brought over that drunken hoard at the tonk, I’d like to know,” Ren said. “Once they sobered up they might be helpful.”

“We should at least investigate,” Aneirin said. “Determine the nature of the threat for ourselves. These people are obviously helpless, and if we can help them it would an act of good to do so.”

Kane translated for Dumb Bear, who grinned from ear to ear. “He’s been restless since catching his breath after the last fight,” the other elf explained.

Bessie stepped back into the council room to tell the old men the party’s decision, and soon afterward the Maisseners and elves were walking past the town’s broken gate. From there, a trail ran up into the mountains. The trail entered forest about 120’ feet from the gate. Some 600 yards beyond the tree line was a briar bush barricade, stretching fully across the trail. Ren dismounted and crept up to the barricade. He heard nothing beyond and dared to climb a little ways up a tree. Beyond the barricade the trail soon turned closer on toward the mountain. Ren followed it with his eyes, and just barely visible at the edge of sight was an opening into the mountain side.

An entry with sharp angles. No natural cave.

Ren returned and told the others of his finding. “It must be there they’re coming out from,” he said.

Aneirin nodded. “It’s too late to try an assault now,” he said. “Let’s get back to the town and get some sleep and see if they’ll feed us. We can come back in the morning refreshed.”

However, when they returned to town they were met by Jon, a sergeant of the guard and one of the town’s few surviving warriors. He was leading a team bringing debris to the town’s main street, hoping to slow the next wave of raiders.

“When was the last raid?” Aneirin asked.

“Several hours ago,” Jon answered. “I expect it won’t be long before the next one.”

The three Maisseners let out a sigh as one.

“So much for rest then,” Bessie said. “If they follow the trend the elders described, they’ll be back before we could even get in a good nap.”

Ren stifled a yawn. “I guess we ought to be waiting for them, don’t you?”

The others nodded. The party took a survey of the town just inside the gate, and took up positions. And then they waited. At some point during the waiting, Kane departed. He left word that a “source had come through with a lead,” the very thing he had warned the others might happen when they set off together. It was later when the others in the party learned this though. They were busy waiting for lizard-men to arrive.

Three long hours of rooftop and windowsill sitting later, they came. Two lizard-men and about eight kobolds. No riding drakes. When the first of them crossed into the town, the attack began.

Aneirin shouted and charged at them from a doorway. Dumb Bear jumped from a nearby rooftop and landed in their midst, swinging his flail wildly. Bessie and Ren shot from empty doorways with cross bow and short bow.

Caught by surprise, three kobolds fell dead before they knew they were under attack. A fourth was wounded almost to the point of death. But the others rushed in to join the fight. Dumb Bear was wounded by a pole-arm wielding lizard-man, and Aneirin scratched by a kobold’s short sword. Between them they took down the lizard-man as Bessie and Ren peppered the two nearest kobolds with bolts and arrows.

The three remaining kobolds and other lizard-man made a feeble attempt to press against the human and elf warrior, but when Dumb Bear sliced cleanly through a kobold the survivors turned and fled. Aneirin and Dumb Bear pursued, and Bessie came out from the shelter of the ruined building to follow. Ren climbed up to the roof of that same building.

Bessie shot one of the fleeing kobolds and Dumb Bear turned that wounded one into so much putty with a massive strike from his flail. Up on the rooftop, Ren made a masterful bowshot, sending an arrow through the head of the last kobold, more than one hundred feet away. Aneirin chased after the last lizard-man with all his might and breath, but could not manage to catch him. The warrior ran back to the town, frustrated and swearing.

“We’ll get them now, by gods” he said.

“Oil!” Ren cried as he came down from the roof. “and lanterns or torches. Jon! Get as much as you can.”

In minutes the sergeant and a handful of youths delivered thirty vials of oil, several lanterns, and an armload of torches to the Heroes. Soon after, the Maisseners and Dumb Bear were mounted and riding hard up the mountain trail. They soon were in sight of the briar barricade. Arrows flew toward harmlessly toward them from the other side. The surviving lizard-man had sounded the alarm.

“They aren’t ready for this I bet you,” Ren said. He lit and tossed two vial of oil to the barricade. It was dry, having been cut and placed days earlier, and caught fire easily. In a minute it was ashes. To Bessie’s great relief, the fire died out without spreading to the forest itself.

The minute it took for the fire to destroy the barricade was enough time for the kobolds and lizard-men behind it to panic, then calm down enough to retreat into the mountain. The Heroes from Maissen, and Dumb Bear, cautiously made their way over the ashes and up the trail. It led up to a clearing right at the mountain side; right up to the crafted entry leading inside.

It was a well made, fancy entry - cut at sharp right angles and using difficult architectural methods. The party wasted no time admiring it though. They lit a lantern and peered inside.

Next – The Mysterious Temple POST 147
Soon – Some Unexpected Revelations

Last edited:

Baron Opal

First Post
Glad to see you back, Sir Beale. I have enjoyed this story hour greatly, and am intrigued by the world. Is this world the DM's ongoing campaign or something crafted just for these adventures?

Baron Opal

alsih2o

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Glad to see you back, Sir Beale. I have enjoyed this story hour greatly, and am intrigued by the world. Is this world the DM's ongoing campaign or something crafted just for these adventures?

Baron Opal

OOhh! I'll answer this one! :p

The world is mine. I am the DM for this particular mess. The world is Maissen. It exists in 3 different ages, this being the age of exploration.

It was run briefly for a group of ENWorlders as a chatroom game and the Age of War was run for some ENworlders as a PbP involving the now-famous mod Brother Shatterstone and 8 (!) others.

Beale Knight

First Post
The party’s light revealed part of a massive room, too huge to even see the far walls in shadow. The Heroes carefully stepped in, mindful for traps that the fleeing lizard-men might have placed. There were none to be found, but there was plenty of space for them. The entry chamber was simply immense and crafted with sharp angles.

It was also filthy. Mud, feces, and worse were everywhere, as if a midden had exploded in the room. The filth muted the party’s footsteps, which would have been considerable. The floor, walls, and probably the out-of-sight ceiling were crafted from smooth, glossy stone.

There was only one other exit, a large door opposite the main entrance, so the Heroes settled their mounts inside and examined it. The door had a single, apparently decorative, knob in the center and pushed away from the room. Beyond was a wide hall going left, right, and forward. The door was almost as wide as the hall, and when fully opened it completely blocked the hall to the left.

“Spike it,” whispered Ren. Aneirin nodded but added, “No point to whisper. The noise of the hammer will announce our location.” He was right, the noise echoed through the halls, but after a few moments the door was spiked open, blocking one possible path the lizard-men might use against them.

The hall was just as filthy as the entry chamber, and yielded no clues about which direction the foes had gone. The party headed down the right hallway first, and were soon looking at a set of double doors. After a quick look for traps, Ren took hold of a handle. Aneirin and Bessie had weapons ready as Ren tugged. To everyone’s mild surprise, the doors opened without struggle.

Ren picked up the lantern and peered inside. He saw a long room going off to the left, just as filthy as the hall, but before he could take a longer look there was a “wisshh” sound. An arrow flew right beside his head!

“We’ve been spotted,” he said, ducking back into the hall. Aneirin and Dumb Bear charged inside just in time to see a kobold scurry through a small hole in the far corner. They moved cautiously ahead. Bessie remained in the hall, her crossbow pointed toward the intersection, ready for lizard-folk to try and sneak up from behind. Ren entered a few steps into the room, keeping the light central.

“What’s there?” he called to the warriors when they reached the kobold’s escape tunnel.

Dumb Bear was crouched down by it and looked up to Aneirin, shaking his head. “Tunnel. Low,” he said. Aneirin looked back to Ren. “A tunnel we’d have to traverse on our bellies. We’ll have to find another way.”

After they left the room and shut the doors, Ren had a thought. “The doors open into the room there, but they’ve got good solid handles on this side.” He paused then began to dig through his pack. After a moment he pulled out the rope he’d bought as part of the dwarven spelunker kit. Ren pulled the doors as tightly shut as he could, then tied the two together at the handles. “That’ll kept those shut good and tight,” he said. “Or at least delay someone from getting through there.”

Returning to the nearby intersection, the party took the last option, heading straight forward. The polished stone floor was just as filthy here as where they’d already explored, so the Heroes were tense and ready for attack.

After a some fifty feet, the wide hall ended at another set of double doors. However, these were huge, fifteen, perhaps twenty feet high and proportionately wide. “We could ride through these,” Aneirin commented. They inspected the doors closely and found no indications of traps, then carefully opened them – bows ready.

The doors opened easily and revealed another huge chamber. This one featured a low, flickering glow about thirty feet from the doors, suggesting a pit with a dying fire. Even with that extra touch of light, the Heroes couldn’t see the far edges of the room. Casting the light left and right, they saw the room was squared off even with the doors, and that a pair of pillars, fifteen feet from each other, stood about twenty feet away. Beyond that, the room was shrouded in shadow.

Aneirin, then Ren and Bessie followed by Dumb Bear, slowly entered the room – Ren keeping the lantern high and away to spread light as far as possible. Their footsteps echoed in the massive chamber as the Heroes cautiously walked to the pillars. They spread to the extent of their light, hoping one would notice something the others couldn’t (the threat of a spell or trap taking them all out in one fell swoop was an unspoken worry in each or their minds).

They soon discerned the room was about sixty feet side to side, with no obvious side passages. The two pillars turned out to be part of a set of four, equally spaced in the center of the side walls. In the exact middle of the area created by those pillars was the glow – a fire pit over which hung an oversized stew pot that bubbled with a foul smelling gruel.

Standing there, the far wall finally came into view. Only it wasn’t a wall at all! Ren brought the light a few steps closer and the Heroes could see it was a red curtain. It looked thick and heavy, perhaps velvet.

“A kingly decoration,” Aneirin said.

Ren cast the light from side to side. “It doesn’t look like it’s been damaged. Worn, sure, but there’s no big holes or rips.”

“There are rings up top,” Bessie pointed out. “It slides.”

Aneirin nodded. “Hiding what’s beyond. Which is probably their nests.”

Just then there was a clatter behind them. They spun to see a kobold standing up in the stewpot, a gong in one hand and hammer in the other. Before the Heroes could move, the kobold smashed the gong, sending a loud signal throughout the room – and certainly well beyond. As the kobold scrambled out of the stewpot, the red curtain was brushed aside at either end. Two lizards, as tall as a man and walking on their hind legs, emerged. They hissed, bared their hand-long fangs, and charged.

“These can’t be the drakes they told us about,” Ren said as he put the lantern down and drew his bow.

“Too small,” Dumb Bear said.

“Talk later,” Aneirin said. “Monsters to slay.”

He ran toward one, Dumb Bear headed for the other. Ren and Bessie each shot at the fleeing kobold, who fell just feet from the stewpot with an arrow and a bolt sticking out from his back. They then turned and followed the warriors, Ren to Dumb Bear and Bessie to Aneirin.

The Maissener warrior fended off the drake’s claws and sliced the beast across its chest as Bessie sent a bolt into its thigh. Dumb Bear wailed at his drake with his great flail, smashing it hard in the shoulder before suffering a bite from the monster. Ren put an arrow into the creature’s neck and it drew back, letting the elf warrior smash it in the jaw. A shower of teeth and blood marked the drake’s death. Down the red curtain, Bessie shot at the other drake as Aneirin plunged his sword through its chest, ripping it out its right side in a violent display of strength. Only then did he notice he was bleeding.

“The claws got you deep there,” Bessie said. “But you’ll be alright in a moment.” She chanted low and a glow green grew around her palms. She pressed her hand to Aneirin’s wound and the glow shifted, covering the wound like a bandage. When it faded, Aneirin’s flesh was whole.

She smiled, then walked to Dumb Bear and pointed at his wound. He shook his head. “Scratch.”

“There’ll be more,” Aneirin said. “Stay ready.” The Heroes gathered by him as he moved aside the far end of the curtain with his sword.

He was immediately proven correct. When he moved the curtain aside, Aneirin revealed a large, scaled, snout. The Heroes stepped back as the snout pushed the curtain away. Stepping toward them was lizard much bigger than the pair they’d just fought. This monster moved on all fours, but was still taller than Aneirin when mounted on Avarshan.

The Heroes maneuvered for position as the huge drake stomped toward them. Aneirin and Dumb Bear took front rank with Bessie and Ren a few steps behind – bows loaded. The warriors struck the monster, but its scaly hide was too tough. Their blows did no good. Bessie and Ren had better luck striking the drake’s neck, but it barely noticed their missiles plunging into its flesh.

The massive head turned to Aneirin, who tensed to dodge the coming bite. Instead the drake spat. A heavy glob of acid struck Aneirin. He staggered back in pain. Bessie moved forward and performed her healing magic on him, keeping him on his feet, but he was sorely wounded. Dumb Bear’s flail drew a little bit of blood then, but neither warrior could reach the drake’s more vulnerable spots.

Inspiration struck Ren. “Be back with odds evener,” he shouted. Leaving the lantern behind he ran full speed back to the entry chamber, hoping his memory of the temple’s layout was accurate. It was a straight run, no turns and no surprises, and Ren soon saw sunlight. In the entry chamber, he hastily mounted his war-lizard Sandy and charged back to the battle. He passed the pillars just in time to see Aneirin pull his bloody sword out of the drake’s flesh, and Dumb Bear rip a chunk of flesh from its leg. The drake fell before Ren could launch the arrow he’d managed to nock en route.

“What the hell was that?!” Aneirin shouted.

“I was trying to help even the odds for us,” Ren said. “Looks like that wasn’t needed.”

He and Aneirin argued over the merits of Ren’s idea for a few moments before Bessie called a halt to it. “It’s done,” she said. “However a good idea or not it was, it’s done. We don’t need to argue this here.” That calmed them all down enough to explore passed the red curtain.

Beyond was a throne room, but not much of one. Two sad looking wooden high-backed chairs passing as thrones sat in the middle of a room with a curved back wall that gave the whole room a near oval shape. The room was as filthy as the others. It was also a dead end.

“This can’t be it,” Ren said.

Aneirin nodded. “Search around. There may be some hidden passage.”

The room was not so large to have any part of it lost in shadow, so they split up to search its walls. After only a few moments, the three Maisseners heard a surprised yowlp from Dumb Bear at the back of the room. They turned to see him vanish behind the wall. The next moment the wall shimmered and vanished. Then the room itself changed.

No longer was it a pale imitation of a throne room. This was a large, squared off room featuring two elegant, bejeweled thrones in the center. On the walls hung grand tapestries. Grand but bizarre. Strange people, half flesh and half metal work of impossibly intricate design, were depicted on these tapestries. Many of these folk were winged and battling strange and fearsome looking monsters.

“This is amazing,” Bessie said. “Look, the threads themselves are metal, silver and bronze I think.”

“This is some grand work,” Ren said, “but I like the gems on those thrones myself.”

“There’ll be time to look closer at those,” Aneirin reminded them. He pointed to the far end of the room. Two small side halls led off down there, and the rear had another wider opening leading to another chamber.

“Which way then?” Ren asked.

Aneirin pointed to the back. “Straight on,” he said.

As they made their way to the back of the throne room they heard snorts and hisses, and claws on rock from somewhere beyond the next chamber. Then a great roar came from there, echoing throughout the chambers.

The Heroes moved closer and soon the light revealed where the man crafted temple ended and natural tunnel work began. And there was the source of the roar.

It was the biggest drake of all. A scaled horror the size of a small house with horns as big as a man’s arms. And atop the huge drake a lizard-man was riding it like a war mount. Wearing an elaborate helmet and with lance in hand, the lizard-man shouted a command and they attacked!

Aneirin and Dumb Bear met the charge with their own, attacking the huge drake directly. Bessie summoned an earth elemental, bringing it into this plane on a natural shelf not far from the rider. Atop Sandy, Ren saw a band of lizard-men and kobolds running up from another part of the complex. He wheeled his war-lizard around to take a side hall around and cut them off.

Both Aneirin and Dumb Bear drew blood from the monster, but paid for it with their own. The great drake clawed and stomped them several times, repaying them almost blow for blow. Its lizard-man rider struck Aneirin with his strange, twisted bone lance, but then had to turn his attention to a new foe. Bessie’s earth elemental jumped from the shelf and to the drake. There it beat on the lizard-man, deliver punishing blows with its boulder-like fists.

Ren followed the hall around to where it met up with the chamber, and found himself behind the huge drake, but before a crowd of charging lizard-men and kobolds. He steadied himself and fired shot after shot into the crowd. First one kobold, then another fell dead.

Behind him, Aneirin and Dumb Bear continued to slice and beat the drake, and suffer its claws and teeth. Bessie fired her crossbow incessantly as her earth elemental continued to pound the rider. The elemental finally vanished, leaving the rider alive. By then though, the drake was on its last legs. It raised a huge foot, took a last, feeble, swipe at Dumb Bear, then fell to the ground dead.

Seeing this, the surviving lizard-men and kobolds that were nearly upon Ren and Sandy turned and fled. Ren continued firing, killing a lizard-man, as Aneirin strode up to the drake’s rider and plunged his sword through him.

Bessie ran up to Aneirin and Dumb Bear. She looked each of them over and shook her head. “I can’t tell how much of this blood is yours. How bad are you two hurt?”

“Hurt,” Dumb Bear said.

Anreirin replied by falling to his knees. “I need some help,” he said.

Bessie used the last of her magical healing on the two warriors as Ren kept watch for any more drakes or lizard-men.

“We win?” Dumb Bear asked after Bessie had performed her druidic healings.

“Don’t know,” Ren said. “No way to be sure that what you just killed was that ‘Drake of Legend’ the council talked about.”

“And there’s still much of this complex we haven’t investigated,” Bessie said.

“It doesn’t matter right now,” said Aneirin. “We’ve got a victory and that must serve for now. We’re in no shape to look deeper into this place. We must get some rest and some food.” He sighed. “There’s no doubt the lizard-men will bolster the defenses in our absence, but there’s nothing for it. If we press on now we’ll end up dead.”

The others agreed and they turned to head out. “Do you realize,” Ren said, “We’ve been going non-stop since this morning? It’s been nearly a full day.”

Bessie nodded. “And we got precious little sleep before starting out that day too.”

“Stars, you’re right,” Ren said. He mentally counted back the hours. “Twenty-four hours ago we were riding through the night out of the desert. It was just dawn today that we were at the desert’s edge.”

“We hadn’t even faced those blasphemous zombies yet,” Bessie said. “Was it really only hours ago we came up on the tonk?”

“We’ve had a really full day,” Ren said. “I bet we sleep through the next one.”

Next: Revelations Happy and Furious POST 151
Soon: The Temple depths

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Nice matrix, but oddly polar. A favored mineral? Not a crystal, I think...

Kaolinite, good for making pots with. :)

BK, you are rocking the story. "Hurt" made me laugh out loud, taking me back to that exact moment in the campaign perfectly. What a great read. :)

Baron Opal

First Post
alsih2o said:
Kaolinite, good for making pots with. :)

And if you mix it with one part pectin and two parts water, an agreeable tonic for diarrhea. :p Agreeable in the sense of effectiveness, not taste.

More than what you wanted to know, probably.

Remove ads