• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make It Yourself

aramis erak

Legend
That's fine, but then they only have themselves to blame when the thing they desire to make their game work is missing.

But my point was simpler: that culture of creating the things you want and need should be embraced as much in the modern 5E era as the OD&D era.
90% of games from that era are forgotten because they were utter crap. The handful routinely talked about are indeed the best of that era... D&D, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne, RuneQuest/BRP, Bunnies & Burrows, Traveller, Palladium, Rolemaster. (I picked a cutoff date of Moldvay Basic...) And there are serious doubts about the quality of Palladium and Rolemaster.
90% of the 3E bloat was utter crap, too. And most forget that, too. Bad ideas and worse execution.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
90% of games from that era are forgotten because they were utter crap. The handful routinely talked about are indeed the best of that era... D&D, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne, RuneQuest/BRP, Bunnies & Burrows, Traveller, Palladium, Rolemaster. (I picked a cutoff date of Moldvay Basic...) And there are serious doubts about the quality of Palladium and Rolemaster.
90% of the 3E bloat was utter crap, too. And most forget that, too. Bad ideas and worse execution.
I have no idea what this has to do with the subject at hand. How does the quality of Tunnels and Trolls affect someone who wishes there was a Warlord class for 5E?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Your opinion here is just that. Please try not to present it as objective fact in the future.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have no idea what this has to do with the subject at hand. How does the quality of Tunnels and Trolls affect someone who wishes there was a Warlord class for 5E?
We didn't make stuff up for games back in the day because we were smarter or more virtuous than contemporary fans demanding this or that thing they'd like for the current ed - we were just coping with having only a relatively small selection of material for a relatively small number or early, primitive games.

Like, every generation goes through this at some point. You find yourself shaking your head and going "kids these days...."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We didn't make stuff up for games back in the day because we were smarter or more virtuous than contemporary fans demanding this or that thing they'd like for the current ed - we were just coping with having only a relatively small selection of material for a relatively small number or early, primitive games.

Like, every generation goes through this at some point. You find yourself shaking your head and going "kids these days...."
One thing fans of a game absolutely love is when others refer to them as "primitive".

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm a fan of primitive RPGs, m'self. I mean, seriously, the list included what is generally acknowledged as the first RPG.
"primordial" would not be unfair.

Yeah, I came in via OD&D but if I want to call it "schematic" I think I've kind of earned the right. People are welcome to like it, and I'm welcome to say I don't understand why.

This is extaordinarily pessimistic. I don't think this is true at all. The act of playing an RPG is itself inherently creative to begin with.
This is not true. a huge number of GMs, and nearly all players come to RPGs to just Play the Game. Just like a board game. They want to buy Adventure Module Number Six and have their Character Bob play through Encounter Nine.

The games where everyone gets together and create an amazing collaborative, but indescribable, amazing thing far beyond a game......is rare.

:ROFLMAO:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

I'll ask again: what does this have to do with finding a solution to the lack of a 5E Warlord?

aramis erak

Legend
I'll ask again: what does this have to do with finding a solution to the lack of a 5E Warlord?
It people really were able to create it in a well enough done manor to be majority acceptable, there wouldn't be a lack.

Simple market econ: if there's demand, and low enough risk, it would be done. (Has been, last I heard, just not well.)

Since there isn't a credible one, that implies either a lack of skill sufficient to the task, insufficient reward for doing it, excessive risk, and/or no demand. Possibly all three.

DM's Guild removes risks save for the time sink and public embarrassment.
Insufficient reward? Possibly, but there are a lot of things going up despite the VERY low return on time.
There is at least SOME demand...
So, it it's wanted, the only real bottlenecks are desirous customers finding it amidst the flurry of product and having the skill to do the product in the first place.

Remove ads