• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make My Character!

kjenks

First Post
Gruns said:
Here's the skinny so far:
4 PCs in the group. The other 3 are as follows:
Elf Druid
Halfling Fighter(Outrider)
Something Barbarian(At least thats what he said as we were leaving last Friday)

Low Magic, High Point Buy: 38 point PB

Forgotten Realms Campaign

Oh, is there any way to make the Whip less sucky in 3.5?

From that party mix, you clearly need an arcane caster. A bard might do, but a wizard or sorcerer would be better in terms of balancing the party.

What level do you start at? If you start off at level 1 and you must claw your way up, you might find a different solution. If you start off at level 10, you can build a character that would be less-than-optimal in the low levels, but you won't care.

So if you start at level 1, I'd go for a human sorcerer. With a large enough Use Magic Device total, you can use that Wand of CLW or other non-sorcerer items.

But if you start at level 10, I'd go for a cleric-wizard-mystic theurge. This fills two gaps in your party, cleric and wizard.

Let's stick with human for the race for that extra feat and skill point goodness.

Sorcerer starting stats:
Str 8
Dex 12
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 18

1st level feats: Draconic Heritage (Copper Dragon), Draconic Power (+1 caster level and +1 DC for [Fire] spells)

Later on, pick up Empower Spell, Twin Spell, Arcane Preparation, Quicken Spell

Make sure you have a bunch of [Fire] spells, like Scorching Ray, Fireball, Orb of Fire, but also have a [Cold] spell in case your target is immune to fire, like Lesser Orb of Cold.

Spells: Magic Missile, Lesser Orb of Fire

Later on, when you pick up Orb of Fire, you can drop the Lesser Orb of Fire for a Lesser Orb of Cold.

Here are the spells for my 11th sorceress with similar feats:

Spells:
PH Cantrips + Repair Minor Damage

1st:
Magic Missile -- Evocation
Guided Shot
Ray of Enfeeblement
Featherfall
Orb of Cold, Lesser

2nd:
Scorching Ray -- Evocation, [Fire]
Fly, Swift
False Life
Glitterdust
Familiar Pocket

3rd:
Fireball -- Evocation, [Fire]
Dispel Magic
Haste
Slow

4th:
Dimension Door
Orb of Fire -- [Fire]
Greater Invisibility

5th:
Wall of Force
Mass Fly

This spell selection gives her many options instead of just blasting. Swift Fly is especially nice for getting up from prone as a free action (swift spell, 5-ft. step). She usually casts a Greater Invisibility, designating her raven familiar as the toucher, then the raven holds the charge; this lets the two of them get off at least two spells in the first round of combat.

A Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell works well for this spell selection, as does a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Empower Spell.

A Cloak of Charisma is necessary -- as big a bonus as you can afford. A Scepter of Obedience (Miniatures Handbook) is even better than a Circlet of Persuasion at boosting Cha skills like Use Magic Device (cross-class) and Gather Information (a class skill because of the Draconic Heritage feat). That Gather Info gives her something useful to do in non-combat parts of the game.

At level 11, with Cha 24 and the Scepter, her Use Magic Device total is +19, or +21 with scrolls. This is sufficient to activate any wand or scroll she wants.

Mystic Theurge starting stats:
Str 10
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 17
Wis 15
Cha 13

Feats: Empower Spell, Chain Spell, Divine Metamagic (Chain Spell), Practiced Spellcaster (on both sides), maybe another Divine feat from Complete Divine -- Divine Spellpower seems to be quite popular

Start with a wizard level for extra skills. Or start with a cleric level for a couple more HP.

And you asked about the whip.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=428447

Good luck. Please tell us what you choose and how the game goes.

Bastoche

First Post
You got outdoor characters and you're likely to play indoor? I'd go straight rogue with cha based skills (bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, gather info, knowledge(local), sense motive) plus some typical mandatory rogue skills (open lock disable device, use magic device). High int, high cha and high dex in that order. Then con, str and wis. I'd go the missile way (you already got melee fighters) and for a good 2WF build, you need high dex and high con, so I'd forego that option. Short bow with the missile feats (PBS,presice shot, rapid, multi, etc).

werk

First Post
I think many people say low magic to mean NOT Monte Haul or near the wealth guidelines.

Either that, or they don't know what low magic means.

Tinner

First Post
Here you go

This is basically the same PC I'm playing in a group that on the surface sounds a lot like yours.
Gnome Bard - designed around being the talker, and a support character. He can do some fighting, a little magic, some sneaking, and handle a few traps and locks.
As you level up the bardic music will get very handy. As you progress you'll want Weapon Finesse. Be sure to learn the few healing spells available, and you'll be a real utility player.
It's fair to point out, that this PC is never going to be a "one-on-one" showboat. His strength lies in his ability to help the team, not in his own meager powers.

Gruns (CR 1, HD 1d6+1)
Gnome (Rock) Brd1
CN Small Humanoid (Gnome)
Init +2 Spd 20
Senses Low-light Vision (Ex), Listen +2, Spot +0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 16 (FF 14, Touch 13)
hp 7 (Disabled -1/Dying -12/Injury 7)
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atk +1 base melee, +3 base ranged; Grapple -4;
+1 Melee (Rapier 1d4/crit 18-20/x2)
+3 Ranged (Sling 1d3/crit 20/x2)
SA: Spell-Like Abilities (Speak with Animals, CL 3, 1/day; Dancing Lights, CL 1, 1/day; Ghost Sound, CL 1, 1/day; Prestidigitation, CL 1, 1/day)
SQ: +4 Dodge Bonus to AC vs. Giants, Weapon Familiarity (Ex), +1 Attack vs. Orcs and Goblinoids
Bard Features: Bardic Music: Inspire Courage (+1), Spells, Bardic Knowledge (5+Int.Mod), Bardic Music: Fascinate, Bardic Music: Countersong, Bardic Music Uses: 1/day,
Race Features: +2 bonus for saves against illusions, Spell Like Ability: 1/day Speak with Animals (Burrowing mammal only, 1 minute), Spell Like Ability - If Charisma is over 10 - 1/day: Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 18
Feats: Armor Proficiency: light, Obscure Lore, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Skills: Balance +1, Bluff +6, Climb -1, Craft (Alchemy) +2, Diplomacy +6, Disable Device +4, Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +8, Hide +9, Jump -7, Listen +2, Move Silently +5, Open Lock +4, Perform (Sing) +8, Swim -1, Tumble +5, Use Magic Device +8.
Bard Spells Known (2): 0- Daze, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Read Magic.
Weapons: Bullets, sling (50); Rapier; Sling. Armor: Studded leather. (Spell Failure 15%). Goods: Backpack; Coin: gp (12); Coin: sp (5); Thieves` tools.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
werk said:
I think many people say low magic to mean NOT Monte Haul or near the wealth guidelines.

Either that, or they don't know what low magic means.

Neither of which I think apply to FR. That is it is a magic rich world with lots of high level magic and many many magic shops.

Whicch is one of the things I don't like about the setting.

Gruns

Explorer
werk said:

Yes, I meant non-Monte Haul/low magic items... Regular magic guidelines as far as magic use goes. And I'm just assuming this is going to be the case as this is a player that has never DM'd us before, but didn't like the over-poweredness of loot that the last DM supplied us with. However, I've never played in FR before, so I have no clue about the "magicness" of it. All I know is from Neverwinter Nights and a few things I've read on the net. Don't have the campaign book. (DM does and one of the other player's does though, but I doubt I'll get to see it before character creation.)
Sorry for the confusion.
Later!
Gruns

Remove ads