• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Make SPELLS Balanced

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
... would I prepare that spell, no most likely not. Would as a wizard I want that in my book so I can ritually it out whenever I need, yes absolutely.
Three of these are rituals (as are four of the spells in the categories above). That, I think, is telling: it suggests that your problem is with rituals spells (which is reinforced with the new ritual rules -- bring back ritual casting from before). I have had characters take Ritual caster in order to have access to Floating Disk and Unseen Servant specifically. ... Rituals have a real place in the game, and they don't all need to be cranked up to 11, unless players have to squeeze out more effective options because space is limited (as with the new Rit Caster feat).
Yeah, rituals feel like a different silo from the slot-spending "action" spells.

Also, a ritual can be for anything, including for an effect that is unrelated to a spell list.

Perhaps, all rituals should instead be skill checks?

Then noncasters can also train in the corresponding skill to perform a ritual.

I agree with all of these except Comprhend Languages. You can learn the languages, or use magic. History is not a substitute.Comprehend languages is an invaluable first-level spell for some campaigns, and is exactly what a ritual first-level spell should be.
Maybe merge Comprehend Languages with Tongues to make a 1st-slot spell that is useful for encounters. But even this might work better as a skill check ritual.

Meanwhile using the History skill to "decode" a language or dialect is also ok.

Ceremony should never have been introduced. It is terrible. Ceremonies should not have a mechanical effect, and should be what the Acolyte background lets you do.
Ceremony is fine for a "ritual". Maybe the Religion skill check can perform it?

Altho I am suggesting skill checks, I feel it is ok for each ritual to have a character level prerequisite (similar to the way a feat does).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yeah, rituals feel like a different silo from the slot-spending "action" spells.

Also, a ritual can be for anything, including for an effect that is unrelated to a spell list.

Perhaps, all rituals should instead be skill checks?
I think we just have a different sense of what ritual magic is for, and why it can be fun in play. That's okay -- but we're not going to agree.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
"Demotion" means to move a substandard spell to a lower slot where it is more competitive with the spells at that slot. Alternatively, to remain in its current slot it might need a boost.

"Promotion" means to move an extrapowerful spell to a higher slot where it is more balanced with the spells at that slot. Alternatively, to remain in its current slot it might need a nerf.

Note, all mindlink communication spells need a rethink and often a demotion, including Telepathy, Monster Manual Telepathy language, Tongues, Detect Thoughts, Rarys Telepathic Bond, even Message. Generally, full-on two-way linguistic/sensory Telepathy is appropriate as a single 2nd-Slot spell that merges the other spells. Something like, the spell can link any minds within 30 feet but allows "bonds" with a mind that can reach any distance. Insight skill checks or granting Wisdom saves might probe memories of unwilling targets. But nonmagical Insight skill can discern desire and intention and even coldread to intuit specific details. Telepathy can convey sensorial images as well as speak words, and also understand the intended meaning without knowing the same language.

Note, an unintended exploit makes Magic Mouth weirdly powerful. The trick is its anything-goes trigger. For example, tell a Mouth on an object to "scream if someone tries to steal anything". Or even, "scream if anyone with an Evil alignment approaches within 10 feet". Clever conditions for its trigger can abuse the spell. Even so, its 1 minute casting time makes it useless to prepare it for use with spell slots. Only its ritual is worthwhile.

The game needs two separate silos: one feature for a list of "rituals" versus a different feature for a list of preparable spells. It is confusing to newbies who dont realize that is highly problematic to prepare certain spells that are in the spell list. The amount of system mastery necessary to avoid the trap options is inordinate.

Here is the spell list from problematic to worst to best:

2nd SLOT
Obsolete Spells − NEEDS RETHINK
Entrall → Persuasion/Intimidation/Bluff skill
Find Traps → Perception skill
Detect Thoughts → Insight skill
Augury → and other DM-gives-hint spells need rethink
Continual Flame → mostly obsolete by Light cantrip
Protection from Poison (Less Useful) → Medicine skill

Unworthy of Spell Preparation − NEEDS RETHINK
Animal Messenger
Skywrite
Warding Bond
Darkvision (make into cantrip)
Magic Mouth

Less Useful − NEEDS RETHINK/DEMOTION
Gentle Repose
Ray of Enfeeblement
Cordon of Arrows
Snillocs Snowball Swarm
Dust Devil
Barkskin (new 1DD version fixes this: it gets its rethink!)
Magic Weapon
Melfs Acid Arrow
Nystuls Magic Aura
Zone of Truth
Gust of Wind
Knock

Not Bad − forgivable − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK/DEMOTION
Darkness
Flame Blade
Cloud of Daggers
Beast Sense
Branding Smite
Earthbind
Arcane Lock
Aid
Enlarge/Reduce
Crown of Madness
See Invisibility
Lesser Restoration
Blindness/Deafness
Warding Wind
Aganazzars Scorcher
Shatter
Calm Emotions
Spider Climb

Good − standard effect for this spell slot
Pyrotechnics
Rope Trick
Enhance Ability
Silence
Blur
Alter Self
Earthen Grasp
Hold Person
Scorching Ray
Moonbeam
Levitate
Web
Heat Metal

Excellent − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK/PROMOTION
Find Steed
Prayer of Healing
Pass without Trace
Spike Growth
Mirror Image
Invisibility
Spiritual Weapon
Flaming Sphere
Misty Step
Phantasmal Force
Suggestion

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
A few thoughts: as always your list is stimulating.
2nd SLOT

Continual flame is a great world-building spell. 50gp is a lot, but gaslight transformed London in the 19th c., and this does the same thing in a fantasy context for a wizard-run city.
Animal Messenger
It's a fun spell/skill for gnomes and halflings to have. It's a racial-ability spell, though.
There's too much darkvision already. Much better to take it away from eveyone except orcs and dwarves, than to change the spell.
Calm Emotions
Calm Emotions has saved me so many times. I'd rank it "Good" -- on par with Enhance Ability.
Aid
Enlarge/Reduce
Both of these are solid spells.
Lesser Restoration
This is another world-changing spell. Its mere existence gets rid of so many pre-industiral problems.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"Demotion" means to move a substandard spell to a lower slot where it is more competitive with the spells at that slot. Alternatively, to remain in its current slot it might need a boost.

"Promotion" means to move an extrapowerful spell to a higher slot where it is more balanced with the spells at that slot. Alternatively, to remain in its current slot it might need a nerf.

Note, all mindlink communication spells need a rethink and often a demotion, including Telepathy, Monster Manual Telepathy language, Tongues, Detect Thoughts, Rarys Telepathic Bond, even Message. Generally, full-on two-way linguistic/sensory Telepathy is appropriate as a single 2nd-Slot spell that merges the other spells. Something like, the spell can link any minds within 30 feet but allows "bonds" with a mind that can reach any distance. Insight skill checks or granting Wisdom saves might probe memories of unwilling targets. But nonmagical Insight skill can discern desire and intention and even coldread to intuit specific details. Telepathy can convey sensorial images as well as speak words, and also understand the intended meaning without knowing the same language.

Note, an unintended exploit makes Magic Mouth weirdly powerful. The trick is its anything-goes trigger. For example, tell a Mouth on an object to "scream if someone tries to steal anything". Or even, "scream if anyone with an Evil alignment approaches within 10 feet". Clever conditions for its trigger can abuse the spell. Even so, its 1 minute casting time makes it useless to prepare it for use with spell slots. Only its ritual is worthwhile.

The game needs two separate silos: one feature for a list of "rituals" versus a different feature for a list of preparable spells. It is confusing to newbies who dont realize that is highly problematic to prepare certain spells that are in the spell list. The amount of system mastery necessary to avoid the trap options is inordinate.

Here is the spell list from problematic to worst to best:

2nd SLOT
Entrall → Persuasion/Intimidation/Bluff skill
Find Traps → Perception skill
Detect Thoughts → Insight skill
Augury → and other DM-gives-hint spells need rethink
Protection from Poison (Less Useful) → Medicine skill

Animal Messenger
Skywrite
Warding Bond
Magic Mouth

Gentle Repose
Ray of Enfeeblement
Cordon of Arrows
Snillocs Snowball Swarm
Dust Devil
Barkskin (new 1DD version fixes this: it gets its rethink!)
Magic Weapon
Melfs Acid Arrow
Nystuls Magic Aura
Zone of Truth
Gust of Wind
Calm Emotions
Knock

Darkness
Flame Blade
Cloud of Daggers
Beast Sense
Branding Smite
Earthbind
Arcane Lock
Aid
Enlarge/Reduce
Crown of Madness
See Invisibility
Lesser Restoration
Blindness/Deafness
Warding Wind
Aganazzars Scorcher
Shatter
Spider Climb

Good − standard effect for this spell slot
Pyrotechnics
Rope Trick
Enhance Ability
Silence
Blur
Alter Self
Earthen Grasp
Hold Person
Scorching Ray
Moonbeam
Levitate
Web

Excellent − NEEDS DOUBLECHECK/PROMOTION
Find Steed
Prayer of Healing
Heat Metal
Pass without Trace
Spike Growth
Mirror Image
Invisibility
Spiritual Weapon
Flaming Sphere
Misty Step
Phantasmal Force
Suggestion
Magic mouth used to have a good set of guidelines that kept it in check
Triggers react to what
appears to be the case. Disguises and illu-
sions can fool them. Normal darkness does
not defeat a visual trigger, but magical
darkness or invisibility does. Silent
movement or magical silence defeats audi-
ble triggers. Audible triggers can be keyed
to general types of noises (footsteps, metal
clanking) or to a specific noise or spoken
word (when a pin drops, or when anyone
says “Boo”). Actions can serve as triggers if
they are visible or audible. For example,
“Speak when any creature touches the
statue” is an acceptable command if the
creature is visible. A magic mouth cannot
distinguish alignment, level, Hit Dice, or
class except by external garb.
The range limit of a trigger is 15 feet per
caster level, so a 6th-level caster can
command a magic mouth to respond to
triggers as far as 90 feet away. Regardless of
range, the mouth can respond only to
visible or audible triggers and actions in
line of sight or within hearing distance.

I'm going to agree with @Kobold Stew on continual flame. I've seen a lot of players continual flame their equipment both for light as well as for the abilioty to be cool/bluff that the weapon is better than it is over the years & used it occasionally in the world.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
A few thoughts: as always your list is stimulating.

Continual flame is a great world-building spell. 50gp is a lot, but gaslight transformed London in the 19th c., and this does the same thing in a fantasy context for a wizard-run city.
Sure. But world-building "industrial magic" rituals are not what spell slots are for.

Continual Flame works better as a ritual, or a readily available magic item comparable to holy water. The Flame is already costly like a purchasable item would be.

Spell slot preparation is mainly for combat and its purpose is to cast a spell within a second.

By contrast, leisurely magic that takes 10 minutes or so to cast, without spending a slot, is something different.

There needs to be a separate feature with a separate list.

ANYTHING can be a ritual. Most reallife folkbelief magic is some kind of "ritual", with specific unusual requirements and a marvelous − often dangerous − consequences. Regarding danger, a rule of thumb is: One use of magic is good, two uses is better. Three uses proves dangerous. Either it ends in destruction or a fourth uses stabilizes the magic.

If the ritual is a separate design space, and only uses level prereqs and skill checks, then the game can go wild. Any character regardless of class can perform a ritual. There can be all kinds of rituals that are magic items found as treasure, each with its own weird instructions and utility. It wont matter if some rituals are more useful than other rituals, because all of it is treasure to choose between. The flavor potential is enormous.

It's a fun spell/skill for gnomes and halflings to have. It's a racial-ability spell, though.
Animal Messenger is a trap option in a spell list.

There's too much darkvision already. Much better to take it away from eveyone except orcs and dwarves, than to change the spell.
I agree there is (way) too much Darkvision.

Even so, when Darkvision is a cantrip, an Elf can easily lack Darkvision. If the Elf wants to spend a precious cantrip to get Darkvision instead of carrying a torch, then that is fair.

Meanwhile, I suspect most mages would rather just deal with torches and lanterns and the Light cantrip.

Calm Emotions has saved me so many times. I'd rank it "Good" -- on par with Enhance Ability.

Both of these are solid spells.
You might be right. I will doublecheck the ranking between Worst to Best for Calm Emotions.

This is another world-changing spell. Its mere existence gets rid of so many pre-industiral problems.
Lesser Restoration is the kind of spell that needs a rethink. As is, it is too situational and passive. Perhaps it would work better as a slot 1 spell, but it would suffer the same problematic there despite being cheaper to cast.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In the list above, I moved Calm Emotions towards better.

I cant see it as better than Rope Trick. But it is not far behind. It is somewhat comparable to Lesser Restoration except a bit more proactive in utility.

For now, Calm is Not Bad.

Dausuul

Legend
One thing I hope they take into account is that AoE makes an enormous difference--not just "area spell or not," but the size and shape of the area have a huge impact on power level.

I mean, compare fireball to lightning bolt. They're both AoE damage spells. They deal the same amount of damage and call for the same type of saving throw. Lightning is slightly less resisted than fire. Yet fireball is vastly superior. Why? Because unless your DM is very fond of staging encounters in corridors, you can hit a lot more enemies with a 20-foot-radius sphere than you can with a 100-foot line.

If fireball were scaled down to 6d6 and lightning bolt stayed at 8d6, it might be an interesting choice. As is, it's a no-brainer.

Wouldn’t it be easier to balance low level spells by giving more powerful enemies a bonus to save against them? Maybe that’s overly complicated but I remember in older editions, Magic Jar had this included.

In any case, against more powerful enemies, they have an easier time to save against the spell unless you upcast it. I’m talking about some of the spells like Tasha’s that people took exception to. You can base it on HD.

Remove ads