• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Making a bigger Giant Scorpion

S

Sunseeker

^Yes, a purple worm was exactly what I was thinking might hunt these things. Which means it needs to be able to go 'toe-to-toe' with them, or at least slow it down and escape.

Of course, if they were magically created by a tribe of nomadic halflings who build their houses on the scorpions' backs - wandering the desert from watering hole to watering hole - the scorpion poison would not have evolved with them to counter their predators.

The 'natural' gigantic scorpion with a powerful poison sounds more interesting. That doesn't mean a few individuals couldn't have been captured/charmed by an enterprising bunch of nomads. Somebody warn my players not to wander into the desert... ;)

And it's worth pointing out, given its size, the halflings could easily cover the stinger with some kind of metal cap, only to be removed when they go to war (not that a big metal spike wouldn't hurt like the dickens anyway!) and could have side-uses of harvesting the stinger on a regular basis in the same way you harvest a snake. Not only do you have monstrously huge scorpions, you also now have a resource that halflings have to trade with other races, and they're also of course excellent poisoners and assassins in their own right.

pogre

Legend
A little side story somewhat on topic:

So my sons and I ran a large dungeon where we DMed one room at a time and played through it most nights.

My youngest son almost always had custom monsters in his rooms - my favorite description of those monsters was - "2 giant scorpions the size of taxi cabs!"

Remove ads