• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a character from a Mini

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well I see many threads for building an efficient character, based on either some role-playing concept or on combat style.

This is another approach. I have a mini which I want to use. And want to make an interesting and yet workable 1st-level PC. What will you suggest?

This is the photo of my mini.

zaremon.jpg

I originally modified and painted this mini when one of my friend tried to play a half-giant psichic warrior in 3.5e game. But he did not used this mini for a long time as he move to other city.

This mini is based on an Overlord Onyx Golem mini from Reaper. As you see, this mini is a little bit bigger as a meium-sized character. But not as big as a true large-sized critter. I guess I can use this as a warforged, or a plate-clad character of massive race (goliath or half-orc, maybe?).

I will attend the next campaign as a player and it will likely to start from the 1st-level.

It is OK if the PC is not wearing heavy armor at level 1. But I prefer to let him wear at least scale armor in future. And I want to let him wear a suit of plate armor if possible.

As you see, he does not have a shield. And he is using one big sword.

Any suggestions?

Mengu

First Post
Warforged Greatweapon Fighter is the first thing that jumps in my head. First feat would be Proficiency Full Blade. At second level you could pick up plate and hope to find Mithral or Adamantine Plating (that green armor ought to be some special material).

At-will powers would be Reaping Strike, and maybe Cleave? Later you can get Impending Doom Style to mark both targets with Cleave. Maybe also pick up Hewing charge? I don't know, depends on what your party needs more at that point.

Destil

Explorer
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Jade, level 1
Warforged, Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +9, Athletics +8, Acrobatics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion, Stealth +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Vault the Fallen
Barbarian daily 1: Rage Drake's Frenzy

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Javelin (5), Fullblade
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
The second level feat would be scale armor, then plate at 4th. The other option is to take the scale right now and get the fullblade in the future, but greatswords kinda suck...

Shin Okada

Explorer
Thank you guys for suggestions.

Well, if make either Goliath or Warforged Paladin, how should I set his ability scores?

I once played a Dragonborn Paladin when only the first 3 core books were released. At that time I gave him Str 18, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 18.

But both Goliath and Warforged gain +2 Str and +2 Con. Also, now we can use various supplements. Shall I make a strength-din? Or shall I still go for, say, Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16 and such?

In case of Warforged Greatweapon Fighter. Similar question. How will you guys assign his ability scores? Shall I go for Str 20? Shall I raise his Dex for taking heavy-blade-related feats in future?

In case of Warforged Barbarian. Hmm. Heavy-Armor-Clad Barbarian is something new to me. I need to take Armor Proficiency (Chain) before taking Armor Proficiency (Scale), right?

Mengu

First Post
But both Goliath and Warforged gain +2 Str and +2 Con. Also, now we can use various supplements. Shall I make a strength-din? Or shall I still go for, say, Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16 and such?

I'd start with Str 18, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10. You don't really need charisma any more, for a strength paladin (especially since you can take a feat to apply your strength to your divine challenge damage if that's a concern). Wisdom is much more useful overall.

In case of Warforged Greatweapon Fighter. Similar question. How will you guys assign his ability scores? Shall I go for Str 20? Shall I raise his Dex for taking heavy-blade-related feats in future?

I'd go for something like Str 18, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10. This lines you up for the better powers that apply con bonus to damage, as well as a few dex and wis related feats, while keeping all your defenses at a reasonable level. I also like the extra bonus to initiative from dex so you don't make your strikers wait too long.

In case of Warforged Barbarian. Hmm. Heavy-Armor-Clad Barbarian is something new to me. I need to take Armor Proficiency (Chain) before taking Armor Proficiency (Scale), right?

Right. I think that path is pretty feat intensive. You would be losing out on a lot of other feats that are useful early on.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Hmm. That Str/Wis Paladin build seems nice. That way I can start the game with a fullblade and plate. Then, continue to raise Str and Wis, multiclassing into Cleric and then take Radiant Servant paragon path, maybe?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe not. I thought having 19-20 crit range will be cool for a fullblade wielder. I once tried Avenger/Radiant Servant build and it worked fine. But it seems that strength-din cannot have enough radiant powers. Having wisdom-based close attack seems to be a nice addition, still.

Well, for a strength-din or a greatweapon fighter (of warforged, possiblly), which paragon path will you guys recommend? It will be ok to gain a basic multiclass feat for meeting the prerequisite.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Just throw this in the mix: Goliath Paladin/Barbarian Hybrid

Str 18 Con 14 Dex 10 Int 8 Wis 10 Car 16

Hybrid Talent: Proficiency with Paladin's Armour (There goes your plate armour with one feat)
Full blade at level 1 if you want, pick up the Armour at level 2

I would go Howling Strike and Ardent Strike (The one you can use on a charge to mark with Divine Sanction) and beef up charge damage with a Vanguard Fullblade and a Horned Helm. Bless Weapon as your lvl 2 Utility power for +1d6 radiant damage on your attacks for a whole encounter and a nice Barbarians Rage as your Daily.

Remove ads