Making a new Skill System- Need help

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Hello all, as the title says I am trying to design a new skill system for a project of mine and want to hear what you have to say. So first of all, I am trying to get away from having it increase too much, so it is almost entirely based on the ability modifier itself. The max ability modifier you can get is a +4. When you are trained in that skill you can use the full mod but if you aren't trained you can only use up to +2. Also, if you are trained in that skill, you get a +2, making it a total of +6 to trained skills, and if you get jack of all trades, which adds a +1 to all untrained skills, you can get a total of +3 to untrained skills.Since the modifiers are so low it would help me keeping 20 as the max DC. So tell me what you think and have a great day :)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Are you making a new skill system or modifying the d20 system?

If you'll allow me to interpret it in the d20 light, I can tell you:

Abilities are your inherent skill. Capping ability bonuses steers away from this idea and seems to make high abilities less important since you don't always get to use them.

You'll also want to be very sure that +2 is a good representation of the difference between trained and untrained. If you resolve uncertainties with 3d6, that's a good start.

Keep in mind, skill is something that increases with experience, and allows some people to do things that others can only dream about. Skill can also diminish when left unused. If your skill system doesn't reflect this, I'd recommend renaming it.

Remove ads