• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Making a side kick to an epic hero...

Niziolio

First Post
Hiya guys and gals! Okay here's the deal: I want to make a sidekick to an epic hero and chronicle their deeds and adventures. One of the other pcs will play said epic (or not so epic) hero. My character will be a scribe. He will jot down everything the character does and I'll commentary after each of his rolls, attacks, checks etc.
The dilema is this: what do I make??? I was thinking Cleric (war) or Bard (too obvious, right?). I don't wanna steal the heroes spotlight but I still need to contribute.
Okay let's hear from you pros!!!

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
Really any character with a moderate Int can serve this role. Currently I'm running a moon druid soothsayer in Thule who works to advise the heroes (the other PCs). Your concept could be a younger warrior (probably Fighter/Battlemaster), a monk, or a knowledge cleric. A mage of some kind could work, especially a wizard, but a warlock might be chronicling the hero for his patron. Pretty much any class could work, since this concept is a background. Oh, and another idea is to play an elf who chronicles the life of heroes of the younger races.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Three possibilities leap to mind.

1. Rogue Mastermind (SCAG), who continually uses the Master of Tactics feature. Perfect support for another character, and you'd be constantly useful, in addition to your regular action. And mundane, and so a good foil to a spell casting hero.

2. Knowledge Cleric: Knowledge of the Ages and Read Thoughts are both on-point and relevant, plus healing.

3. (if the hero is not stealthy) consider a Trickery Cleric.

Acolyte (for the rogue) or Sage (for either) would both make good backgrounds, but it would also be a nice way to add some unusual flavour.

Also: Congrats on a first post after 19 months of lurking!

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
My character will be a scribe. He will jot down everything the character does and I'll commentary after each of his rolls, attacks, checks etc.
The dilema is this: what do I make??? I was thinking Cleric (war) or Bard (too obvious, right?). I don't wanna steal the heroes spotlight but I still need to cotribute.
Okay let's hear from you pros!!!
Of the classes in the PH, Bard would certainly seem the frontrunner.
But, you will be a high-CHA full-caster. You can focus on support spells, and avoid anything flashy. You can skip CHA skills, stick with knowledge and any blindspot that might help.

If you're open to fan made classes Moonsong's 'Heart' Noble could work.

A Divination Wizard would be one way to support as a sidekick.

With your abilities, you help the hero succeed on the important checks of the story and help the hero fulfill a great destiny that you can see, should the hero live long enough to catch up to your vision of the future.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Of the classes in the PH, Bard would certainly seem the frontrunner.
But, you will be a high-CHA full-caster. You can focus on support spells, and avoid anything flashy. You can skip CHA skills, stick with knowledge and any blindspot that might help.

OTOH, if you want to take a more active role in his heroic-ness, Persuasion and, especially, Deception could go a long way towards propping him up.

aco175

Legend
Depends on what the player is using. I have a similar thing going on with a campaign with my 11 year old son. He is kind of new to D&D and is playing a fighter. I have a thief to back him up. The thief can support in combat if things get a bit tight and use skills to find information to keep things going. The problem is healing between combats especially in dungeons where 2-3 encounters make things hard. I created a ring that heals 1d4 times per day like a second wind from the fighter class to counter this. Spells are used less overall where a charm may kill the whole party, but a magic missile or such is fine since it is basically damage.

I could have also gone with a mage of some sort and things may have been the same with a little less combat power. The flanking rule is used a lot so the thief does good damage and the fighter hits a lot with the 2 dice advantage. A flanking mage would be ok with shocking grasp or something.

As much as I'm a fan of bards and clerics, a Mastermind definitely springs to mind as something different.

1. Rogue Mastermind (SCAG), who continually uses the Master of Tactics feature. Perfect support for another character, and you'd be constantly useful, in addition to your regular action. And mundane, and so a good foil to a spell casting hero.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
(revised)Ranger with the Cloistered Scholar (SCAG) background.

Use bows to help the party from afar, you have just enough spell coverage to help in a pinch.
Hide and watch while scribbling down notes everywhere you go, never interact directly with the party.
Only speak as if you are one of those nature documentary people, commenting on a situation with a detached point of view: "Golly that Green Dragon is a biggun, but I am sure the Hero knows to beware it's Poison Breath!"

Ganymede81

First Post
This sounds like a reimagining of Gotrek and Felix, with your character playing the role of Felix. I believe he was some sort of bard or chronicler in that story.

Remove ads