• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a skyrim werewolf class

Killoth

First Post
so I have a player that wants to play a werewolf. he is a paladin of hircine out of skyrim and I have been keeping his transformations as npc moments but he is making progress in his story to take control of his werewolf form. I wanted to use something a bit more fun than the out of the monster manual werewolf. I was thinking of something akin to barbarian with transformations but not sure. the werewolf classes I have looked into seem to be a little lacking. Im still not sure if I want to have this replace his paladin class or make it something that take place of his class only when transformed. can you guys help me out here?

Fanaelialae

Legend
so I have a player that wants to play a werewolf. he is a paladin of hircine out of skyrim and I have been keeping his transformations as npc moments but he is making progress in his story to take control of his werewolf form. I wanted to use something a bit more fun than the out of the monster manual werewolf. I was thinking of something akin to barbarian with transformations but not sure. the werewolf classes I have looked into seem to be a little lacking. Im still not sure if I want to have this replace his paladin class or make it something that take place of his class only when transformed. can you guys help me out here?

In Skyrim, becoming a werewolf is the equivalent of a 1/long rest ability that overrides your innate capabilities and replaces them with those of the werewolf. So having it transform him into a raging barbarian with natural attacks would be appropriate.

The downside of that approach is that it's a bit complicated, since the player effectively needs a second character sheet for his once per day ability. Still, if the player doesn't mind the added complexity, it's a reasonable way to go.

Rather than rolling barbarian hp, I'd simply have the form add a flat number of hp each level. Give it some good natural attacks, and you're set. It's almost certainly the easiest option for the DM, since you wouldn't need to design anything from scratch. You could have it last for the duration of the rage. If you want to make it more thematically like the Skyrim werewolf, you could have each creature he kills extend the duration by a few rounds (since that's how it works in Skyrim).

Remove ads