• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a Standard Creature an Elite and Recharge Powers

In the dm's guide, it states that when converting a standard monster into an elite, to auto recharge its encounter power when it's first bloodied, but I'm not quite sure if the dm's guide means by encounter power, encounter powers that recharge on a dice roll as well, or just one-time use encounter powers?

Secondly, say a standard monster has a recharge power that recharges on a 5, 6, and then I convert it to an elite, would it be a good idea to lessen to recharge roll to 4, 5, or 6, in order increase the chance of the monster recharging it, in order to compensate for it being just one monster? Or are things like that accounted for by the elite's action point?

As far as design theory, if an elite monster is supposed to equal two monsters, then what exactly is the action point it gets supposed to be compensating/accounting for?

Mentat55

First Post
The action point is supposed to give the elite another standard action once per encounter, so it can make up (a little bit) for the action economy deficit it suffers for being one monster, instead of two.

Re: the encounter power, the DMG means encounter powers, not recharge powers. I often add some sort of at-will double attack, or maybe a minor action or triggered action power, to give the elite a bit more to do.

The dm's guide also says when converting a standard monster into an elite, it's a good idea to double up one of it's attacks, a la', "double attack" as a standard action, so that it's like two monsters, so I'm wondering that if i create an elite with two attacks per round, then I should probably leave it's rechargable power as is, instead of reducing it by one? Thanks, I kind of answered my own question.

Last edited:

Remove ads