Making a Thief - Need advice for the build.

Greenfeuer

Explorer
I plan on making a rogue character who later becomes the thief archtype.

So faar I am trying out the idea of a more classic rogue type, and I will list below so faar what skills and stats I have chosen to take or plan to take.

The current race I have is a custom one, so do mind I have acrobatics from it plus 2+ dex and 1 + to cha currently.

Three choices of stats :

10 str, 15 (17 in total after +2 racial), 14 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 13 cha (14 in total after +1 racial)

10 14 (16 in total after +2 racial), 14 con, 12 int, 12 wis, 11 cha (12 in total after +1 racial)

10 15(17 in totalt after + 2 racial), 14 con, 10 int, 12 wis, 11 cha (12 in total after + 1 racial)

I plan to take the following skills: Acrobatics (racial), deception and stealth (Bagground), sleight of hand, perception, atheltics, investigation,

Expertise: Stealth and Perception, level 6: Sleight of hand and thieves tools.

I am unsure whenever to duel wield or use a single weapon yet, maybe skirmish switching between melee and ranged.

I have chosen the Thief so faar to be more versatile and that I become able to do alot of funny things with fast hands in combat.

I like the idea of fast drawing knives and what not with a free hand and throw em at foes for sneak attack and what not.

My plan is to take the Squat Nimbleness feat to increase my dex by 1, and get expertise in atheltics to climb and do more of those rogue things.

I plan on takeing mobile afterwards.

I am playing a goblin like race, who is sort of a mix of halfling and goblin in a way.

___

Another idea is to going swashbuckler, but I have already played a straight up very fighty class last time played, so I wanna try something abit more "strange". Yet I am lured by idea of the swashbuckler too. - And they are great with two weapons.

Last edited:

Greenfeuer

Explorer
I wonder tho if it is smart to put 15 in any stat, since it cost alot and not just 14 to get my 16 from my 2+, again, it goes well with my plan to take Squat Nimbleness :)

While I love fast hands for fast drawing knifes, it does not work too well. You already need your bonus action for your second attack. So the best you get is draw a dagger throw it. Draw another dagger. Next round: draw a dagger throw both. So you get about half of the benefit, which is better than none actually. Arcane trickster could do the same btw. He can draw the weapon with mage hand.

Last edited:

Greenfeuer

Explorer
I would like to ask what stats row you folks would recommend tho! I have three suggestions so faar :D

10 str, 15 (17 in total after +2 racial), 14 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 13 cha (14 in total after +1 racial)

10 14 (16 in total after +2 racial), 14 con, 12 int, 12 wis, 11 cha (12 in total after +1 racial)

10 15(17 in totalt after + 2 racial), 14 con, 10 int, 12 wis, 11 cha (12 in total after + 1 racial)

The uneven 15 could go well with squat nimbleness :)

However! I am unsure whever to go int, wis, or cha. Ofcourse I am thinking strongly of atleast having +1 in cha :)

Remove ads