• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a Voidlord of the spear

Naoki00_

First Post
Hey guys, the party I'm DMing for a short High Level (10 up to probably 16) game mostly just for the sake of going up against some nasty monsters, and I'm wanting to make the final guy something a little special, The Void Yai Oni really caught my eye and thus so did the Voildlords of them, which fits as a great final encounter I think. However the only give listings for the Martial-Arts or Swordplay Voidlords, and I'd like mine to be a master of the spear/staff.

For those that have no idea what it is I'm talking about this is the creature in question and the two examples of voidlords: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/oni/oni-void-yai

What sort of feats would you even use with a spear weapon to give the whole twirling rapid striking eastern flair that an Oni would have instead of just stabbing forward with them? My initial thought was just say the spear can deal slashing and since it's not a long spear the size shouldn't be an issue but then what feats to add to that has me a bit stumped cause I don't know many 'polearm' feats.

for the spells gained I'm more at a loss since I don't really know too many spells sides the one my sorcerer might use, and for the special trait I was considering letting them be able to attack anything in their spear range like whirlwind attack, but I'm not sure if that too powerful or not, any suggestions or ideas?

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
There's no reason you can't switch over the critical focus to the spear and just use most of the same feats. Cleave should work for the spear, how you describe it is another issue. The cleave feat tree is pretty deadly, i'm not sure you'd like to get rid of it.

Since the spear is a ranged, you'll probably want to pick up Point blank shot and Precise Shot (i'd get rid of Improved Bull Rush).

You could pick up Dazing Display too, which would really "wow" your opponents and force them to drop their gear.

Naoki00_

First Post
There's no reason you can't switch over the critical focus to the spear and just use most of the same feats. Cleave should work for the spear, how you describe it is another issue. The cleave feat tree is pretty deadly, i'm not sure you'd like to get rid of it.

Since the spear is a ranged, you'll probably want to pick up Point blank shot and Precise Shot (i'd get rid of Improved Bull Rush).

You could pick up Dazing Display too, which would really "wow" your opponents and force them to drop their gear.

Well I'm trying to redo the whole guy pretty much lol, I was planning on just removing the crit focus cause well..it's not really that great in my opinion as it only does it to confirm a crit and not land one. if the guy could crit on a party as his level he'll confirm it all the same, though I do suppose cleave could be given that flavor of a whirling spear assault, though it doesn't fix the 'can't attack adjacent' issue.

And I'm confused by that, why would you pick up those feats for a melee weapon? o.o it's not ranged at all

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
Spear has a range of 20 feet. With his ability to be invisible, he can disappear, move, then use his next turn to attack at ranged, depending on what the party does.

You going to have any other baddies in the room helping him?

Naoki00_

First Post
Spear has a range of 20 feet. With his ability to be invisible, he can disappear, move, then use his next turn to attack at ranged, depending on what the party does.

You going to have any other baddies in the room helping him?

well yeah because their normally that long (though not this one most likely as it's a bit unwieldly), you don't actually throw it

And other then the hazards and enemies on the way to the chamber, he'd be alone

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
according to this, the spear is not normally 20 feet long.
A spear is 5 feet in length and can be thrown.
(Simple)
Two-Handed Melee
CostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRangeWeightTypeSpecial
Spear2 gp1d61d8x320 ft.6 lbs.Pbrace

Remove ads