• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a Voidlord of the spear

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
Your question was what feats would you change to make this Oni more spear oriented. Since the spear has the ability to be both ranged and melee, i thought it would be good to be proficient with both. Yes, the Oni is stat'd to be a melee beast and more than likely you'll be in melee the whole time. However there may be an instance where you need a ranged attack and the recommended ranged feats will make sure you hit. You still have all of your attacks and as long as the spear has the Returning special quality, you can throw it for every attack.

I don't know what type of room you were thinking, but having some difficult terrain is probably a good idea. It says he can shape change into giants, so maybe have some Giant statues around the room for him to hide as?

Naoki00_

First Post
Your question was what feats would you change to make this Oni more spear oriented. Since the spear has the ability to be both ranged and melee, i thought it would be good to be proficient with both. Yes, the Oni is stat'd to be a melee beast and more than likely you'll be in melee the whole time. However there may be an instance where you need a ranged attack and the recommended ranged feats will make sure you hit. You still have all of your attacks and as long as the spear has the Returning special quality, you can throw it for every attack.

I don't know what type of room you were thinking, but having some difficult terrain is probably a good idea. It says he can shape change into giants, so maybe have some Giant statues around the room for him to hide as?

Well I didn't really consider using the spear to through since he DOES have a ranged attack (that deals a good amount of damage and gives negative levels), so I really never considered using a throwing weapon style lol, though I should also say thank you for the suggestions :) I don't mean to sound like I'm saying "no" to things that are probably decent ideas lol.

As for the room it was going to be his throne room that was taken from the previous lord of the land and has been remade into an arena meant to be his prefered battlegrounds for challengers to his reign. it's a 100ft square that once he enters it, is impossible to exit unless he says otherwise. On all sides it decends into a pit full of bound shadows that await to destroy anyone that falls inside (cept the oni as it's magic makes him immune). As for changing into other giants I don't really know if he'd do that, they prize honorable combat and defeating opponents with raw skill don't they?

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
No worries, just trying to make myself clear more than anything.

Looking at the description of the Oni, yeah he probably would not hide and attack that way. Being LE he would definitely smash them into bits, but he wouldn't try to win with tricks.

i like the idea of having an arena that can't be exited without defeating (in one form or another) the Oni.

Remove ads