• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making adventurers poorer without affecting overall power

Rvdvelden

First Post
Asmor said:
I really like the idea of the PCs being poor and really having to scrounge for niceties. I'm not, however, quite so interested in a low-magic game, so just giving them 1/10th the money or whatever isn't going to cut it.

[...]

I considered just giving them magic items (and don't have a problem with it), but the issue with that is how do I prevent them from selling them? That +1 dagger sure is swell at level 4, but when they find the +2 short sword, it's a no brainer to sell it...

I could say that there's no market for magic items... But that's hardly realistic.

Basically, you want the PC's to have the magic items, but hardly have any money. In order to prevent them having any money, you need a way to remove the ability to sell any magic items they don't have a use for anymore.

Idea 1) Don't let them find treasure at an encounter, but let them earn it through a high powered employer (king, nobleman, head of church etc.). Instead of getting extra items, they can trade their magic items for better ones, once they completed the job they were sent out to do. This way you restrict the flow of magic items, and if they sell one, they can't get upgrades anymore. (This can even give an interesting plot hook: let one of the magic items get stolen or otherwise lost en let them retrieve it.) You can gradually add other items for the party to use, just make sure that at least one member of the party has a use for it or that they can't sell it (make them heirlooms or something).

Idea 2) Once they've gotten that +2 short sword and don't need the +1 dagger anymore, make the obsolete item a plot device. The court's wizard needs a magical dagger in order to defend the kingdom from being invaded, and is far away at the frontline to fend off the invading hordes. It's the job of the party to bring the dagger to the wizard, and of course the enemy sends some raiding parties to prevent the party of reaching the wizard.

I think you can figure out what my line of thought here is. Just use your imagination to prevent them of selling of useless items, and they will stay 'poor' as long as you want them to.

Dan Bell

First Post
3catcircus said:
Take some hints from Harn. A free adventure (A Shower of Silver) which is an introductory (free) adventure has the PCs at one point searching a dead body. Treasure? 2 pence. The richest pre-gen PC? 12 pence.

I had the pleasure to help out with ASOS. Here is the direct link to the free pdf adventure: http://www.lythia.com/modules.php?o...loaddetails&lid=236&ttitle=A_Shower_of_Silver

The adventure is set in Jedes, here is the link to the free pdf of the castle: http://www.lythia.com/modules.php?o...&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=234&ttitle=Jedes

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
In Eberron at least, the easiest way to restrict the sale of magic items is through the Dragonmarked Houses. It's highly likely that anyone other than the Houses or the nation would have the money needed to buy and sell magic items. If the PCs don't have the connections to these groups, then they can't easily sell magic items.

Springing this on the players mid-game is going to cause problems, though. You'll need to explain the concept to them upfront, especially since you would have to disallow any noble or Dragonmarked characters from the group (or have them be outcasts).

Quartz

Hero
Asmor said:
I considered just giving them magic items (and don't have a problem with it), but the issue with that is how do I prevent them from selling them? That +1 dagger sure is swell at level 4, but when they find the +2 short sword, it's a no brainer to sell it...

How about getting the players into the mode of gifting instead. If they want to make an impression on the local Duke, or are looking for hospitality, they should gift him something. An enchanted blade or suit of armour or whatever is always a welcome gift. Remember that even if he can't use it, he can give or loan it to someone who can.

Oh, and if the party don't keep backup blades...

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I have a model that might work for you.

Think about magic items in terms of Tiers and do not dwell on the gp amount.

Tier 1 magic items are something like a +2 sword or rough equivalent in value. These are desirable items in the range of 5000-10000 gp.

There are no +1 swords or +1 shields or weak magic items.

Tier 2 would be things like +4 swords -- items in the 20000-40000 gp range.

Tier 3 would be things like +6 swords -- items in the 60000-90000 gp range.

The key simplification: All items in a sngle Tier are perceived as being the "same value" in your campaign world.

Do not let your players/PCs talk about "gp value" of magic items. That is your concern.

Now, they could theoretically sell one to fill their belly. But it would be kind of idiotic, because no one could gather more than 400-500 gold together. If the PCs just want to fill their bellies or buy a few nice horses, they are better of giving a Tier 1 item away as a gift to some powerful nobleman to win favor.

What if a PC has a magic item that they want to get rid of for something else? No problem.

First that PC needs to find someone well-connected who owes them a minor favor to act as a broker -- merchant, priest, nobleman, etc.

Second, the PC hands the item over to the broker.

Third, the PC explains roughly what kind of item he is looking for.

Fourth, you select an item for the PC that seem like a reasonable fit.

Fifth, after a few week or few months (depending on the pace of the campaign) the PC is informed that he his new item by the broker, and can come collect it.

The DM should try to please the player.

But it is not for the player to ask for specific items. "I want to trade in the magical sword for a defensive item or something that improves my mobility" is okay. "I want Boot of Striding and Springing" is not okay.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
One would sell the +1 short sword when one would find a short sword +2, but would one sell the Sword of Bozar, Key of the West Winds (even if it is only a +1 short sword)? I for one am pretty attached to almost everything i own (two exceptions, clothes and computers), why wouldn't characters be? Especially if the items the find have a history and might have meaning beyond their actual magical abilities, magic items aren't massed produced, they are custom made...

Don't let them find a lot of cash, let them find a few unique items, lets not forget that they will need to explain where they got all that money from *grins evily*

Slife

First Post
Cergorach said:
One would sell the +1 short sword when one would find a short sword +2, but would one sell the Sword of Bozar, Key of the West Winds (even if it is only a +1 short sword)? I for one am pretty attached to almost everything i own (two exceptions, clothes and computers), why wouldn't characters be? Especially if the items the find have a history and might have meaning beyond their actual magical abilities, magic items aren't massed produced, they are custom made...

Don't let them find a lot of cash, let them find a few unique items, lets not forget that they will need to explain where they got all that money from *grins evily*

Well, Baulder's gate has a long and detailed backstory for virtually every magic item. After reading five or six they lost novelty value and I didn't even bother checking the backstory.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Slife said:
Well, Baulder's gate has a long and detailed backstory for virtually every magic item. After reading five or six they lost novelty value and I didn't even bother checking the backstory.
I thought we were talking about the pnp version of D&D...
In pnp games you can actually do something fun with it, tie it to character reputation for example. It might actually be the key to the gate of the west winds...
If all else fails, tax the basterds, sale of highly magical items has a tax on it, a large one (50%)...

Warren Okuma

First Post
Cergorach said:

1) Put in combos. Two +1 shorts words can be combined to form a +2 short sword.
2) Or this +1 dagger has an odd fragment of a map on it.
3) Or synergy. A +1 dagger of Vexium plus a +1 cloak of Vexium equals +2 for both, and maybe a little something, like once per day you can do spell X. Collect them all!
Cergorach said:
I thought we were talking about the pnp version of D&D...
In pnp games you can actually do something fun with it, tie it to character reputation for example. It might actually be the key to the gate of the west winds...
If all else fails, tax the basterds, sale of highly magical items has a tax on it, a large one (50%)...
Tax, gets ugly. One day your PC's will decide on weather or not to loot kingdoms to get back their stuff... Remember to use gather information to find out the approximate level and hit the treasury first. Or make the rulers epic ursurpers and previous adventurers.

Edit: And no big cities. Big cities=lots of wealth.

Polydamas

First Post
Try this:

Most magic item (outside the ones with backstories) are +1 or whatever the minimum effect is.

Every 2 (or other #) character levels you go up, the item gains a +1 or equivalent ability.

That's why the big bad guy is looking for his old sword...nothing else works as well for him.

Additionally, there is no reason to get rid of a magic item....its worth more to you than what anyone will pay for it. That sword you got at first level is going to be your most precious item for your whole career.

Remove ads