• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making an Epic Bebilith (SRD)

Jacob

Explorer
I've recently hit a snag in the monster creation process of a Bebilith, and I was hoping this wonderful forum could help me out a bit. The Bebilith will be of 34 HD, the max a 17th Lvl Cleric can summon via Gate. All material to be used must be from the d20srd, since I'm confining myself as such (Epic Rules progression being followed). What's really stumped me was the Rend Armor ability of the creature...

Rend Armor (Ex)
If a bebilith hits with both claw attacks, it pulls apart any armor worn by its foe. This attack deals 4d6+18 points of damage to the opponent’s armor. Creatures not wearing armor are unaffected by this special attack. Armor reduced to 0 hit points is destroyed. Damaged armor may be repaired with a successful Craft (armorsmithing) check.
Now, that damage is the equivalent of a Bite (2d6+9) getting a Critical Hit upon a foe. As such, I have made the assumption that it increased with size when the Bebilith becomes Gargantuan (Bite 3d6+STR, Rend 6d6+[STR*2]). That...seems a little high. Also, should I take Improved Natural Attack (I would be foolish not to), the Bite would become 4d6+STR, making the Rend 8d6+(STR*2). However, this is all if the Rend Armor damage grows with the creature, and if it's really based upon the Bite as it looks like rather than the Claws which cause the damage to begin with (2d4+4 base claw damage). By comparison, the epic monster Brachyurus has a Savage ability...

Savage (Ex)
If a brachyurus successfully trips an opponent, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 15d6+25 points of damage. If an opponent goes prone for any reason in an area a brachyurus threatens, the brachyurus can also savage the victim as a free action (treat as the brachyurus’s attack of opportunity for the round), even though it had nothing to do with tripping the foe.
That damage is calculated by the Bite (3d6+5), which means Savage acts like a x5 Crit. Surely that damage doesn't grow along with the natural attacks upon size increase? A base Brachyurus is large, with plenty of room to grow to Colossal. That would be one heck of a damage output if I followed the rule I've gone with the Bebilith thus far. Your thoughts?

Other than that, any other tips you may have for making this Demon a beast would be helpful. Besides the Boon/Bane of Huge to Gargantuan (again, 34 HD), I can allot 5 stat bonuses and 7 feats as I please. Thinking Constitution would be best, considering the low AC it would have, and the Epic Feats Overwhelming/Devastating Critical for the claws. Have a better idea? Game will be happening this Sunday, and while they may not face the beast that day, I at least want to be prepared for it. They will likely hate me for this, but as it goes. ;)

Sekhmet

First Post
Monster Advancer Classic

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/send...classSelectBoxCount=1&class1=-1&classLevel1=1

Should save you some time. The site advances most MM1 monsters automatically for you, following all the rules from the SRD for advancement.
Rend does not improve, it isn't based on any other damage dealt. Remember that the damage it deals is to any armor worn by the character hit, not to the character themselves.

I'd throw all 5 points at Con, and give it Imp Natural Attack and the Devastating Crit line.

Last edited:

Jacob

Explorer
Did a little thinking, and I believe a little more appropriate example of the Bebilith Rend damage (which I know is against armor) in other stats would be the Troll's Rend and two weapon/multiweapon rend. In the latter, it clearly states the damage is based on the weapon, and thus damage output would indeed increase should it be larger. And while it doesn't clearly say as such for the Troll stat block, it's under the assumption to change should it take Improved Natural Attack of enlarge itself somehow...or does it change?

If anything, I suppose the subject of the Bebilith's Rend damage changing is all based on the mechanics of the way equipment works. Away from raising the enhancement or making everything out of adamantine, the stats of armor don't change too much, making the need to up the damage in accordance to size/power of the Bebilith unnecessary. Doesn't make much sense realistically, but I'm willing to accept that if it's right.

Sekhmet

First Post
The Troll's "Rend" attack deals damage to the opponent, while the Bebilith deals damage to the opponent's armor. They are two separate abilities, and the Beblith's doesn't really need to be any better than it is (and RAW doesn't say that it becomes better, anyway).

Remove ads