• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Bloodlines Work

Greyfeld

First Post
Incredibly long story short, I'm looking for opinions. I'm using the Bloodlines concept from UA in my next low/no-magic campaign. Each player will be required to take a bloodline that corresponds to one of the four major elements (fire, wind, water, earth), which they gain through a draconic parentage. However, I felt the bloodlines, as-written, were extremely subpar. So, I've made my own bloodlines, and I'd like some honest feedback on whether they seem acceptably balanced or not.

A few notes before you take a look at them:

-"SLA" is a slot for a supernatural ability linked to that element that I have yet to determine.
-Dragon Sense is an ability that allows the characters to sense the presence of other nearby creatures with similar bloodlines.
-There were originally going to be 3 levels of Dragon Sense, but I'm considering dropping the third level in each bloodline for a tremorsense-esque type ability that functions within each element.
-Each element corrisponds with a different ability score. Currently, that is Fire:Cha, Water:Str, Earth:Con, Wind: Dex.
[sblock=Fire Bloodline*]1. Fire Manipulation
2. +2 Diplomacy
3. Dragon Sense
4. +1 Cha
5. Fire Resistance +5
6. SLA
7. +2 Bluff
9. Dragon Sense
10. Fire Resistance +10
11. SLA
12. +1 Cha
13. +2 Intimidate
15. Dragon Sense
16. SLA
17. Fire Immunity
18. +1 Cha
20. SLA

*I have yet to figure out what I want to do with the slots that would normally grant some sort of AC bonus. Flavor-wise, extra AC just doesn't seem to fit a Fire bloodline, so I'm a little stumped at the moment.[/sblock]
[sblock=Water Bloodline]1. Water Manipulation
2. +2 Jump
3. Dragon Sense
4. +1 Str
5. Water/Cold Resistance +5
6. SLA
7. +2 Climb
8. +1 Deflection Bonus
9. Dragon Sense
10. Water/Cold Resistance +10
11. SLA
12. +1 Str
13. +2 Swim
14. +1 Deflection Bonus
15. Dragon Sense
16. SLA
17. Water/Cold Immunity
18. +1 Str
19. +1 Deflection Bonus
20. SLA[/sblock]
[sblock=Earth Bloodline]1. Earth Manipulation
2. +2 Concentration
3. Dragon Sense
4. +1 Con
5. Earth/Acid Resistance +5
6. SLA
7. +4 Concentration
8. +1 Natural Armor
9. Dragon Sense
10. Earth/Acid Resistance +10
11. SLA
12. +1 Con
13. DR 1/-
14. +1 Natural Armor
15. Dragon Sense
16. SLA
17. Earth/Acid Immunity
18. +1 Con
19. DR 2/-
20. SLA[/sblock]
[sblock=Wind Bloodline]1. Wind Manipulation
2. +2 Balance
3. Dragon Sense
4. +1 Dex
5. Sonic/Wind Resistence +5
6. SLA
7. +2 Tumble
8. +1 Dodge Bonus
9. Dragon Sense
10. Sonic/Wind Resistence +10
11. SLA
12. +1 Dex
13. +2 Move Silently
14. +1 Dodge Bonus
15. Dragon Sense
16. SLA
17. Sonic/Wind Immunity
18. +1 Dex
19. +1 Dodge Bonus
20. SLA[/sblock]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. But please, any detailed critiques are appreciated. Good or bad, it doesn't matter, I just need to know if these appear balanced, or if I need to change anything, or even any suggestions.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
The easiest way to make bloodlines worthwhile, if all the players are taking them, is to simply remove the need to take levels into it and have them simply gain the bonuses as they go :)

Greyfeld

First Post
While that is an intriguing idea, that doesn't really answer my questions regarding what I posted in the OP. The bloodlines, as they stand in RAW, don't fit the campaign I'm creating.

wherwrthal

First Post
I don't understand why you think the AC bonus won't work. Couldn't you just flavor it as a heat aura that makesranged attacks melt, or melée attacks flinch back?

Remove ads