Making combat move more -- pressing attack, lunge, losing ground, and the like

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
One possibility is to allow anyone attacked to take a 5ft step backwards to reduce the damage they would have recieved by 2 points. This is a free action taken at the point when they are attacked.

This would encourage defenders to back away from attacks (unless they are dedicated professional fighters) by giving them a real benefit to doing so

Dr. NRG

First Post
Encourage your players to play monks and rogues, and encourage them (by forceful NPC demonstrations if necessary) to use the advantageous mobility options of those classes. When I played a monk with 100 ft of movement per round, my character moved around the battlefield tumbling, jumping, and knocking people down.

If it's to the party's advantage to move, and they know it, they'll move around a lot more. If not...

NRG

s/LaSH

First Post
I don't really have anything to add, mechanic-wise, just yet. The obvious reason for moving around is to escape the reach of your opponent's weapon, but D&D doesn't handle that very well at all - you can only move on your turn, not in response to someone trying to slash your face open.

Of course, my homebrew system is built around doing stuff like this, but it assumes you automatically hit someone unless they defend properly. (And I want to create a D&D interface so you can play both at once... I'm crazy.)

kenjib

First Post
There are lots of cool ideas here from everyone. Keep them coming! One thing to keep in mind is preventing combat from slowing down too much, so one might consider resisting things that add additional dice rolls and AOOs.

Speaking of which, are AOOs part of the problem, since they restrict movement?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
LostSoul said:
Those are some good ideas, barsoomcore. I think I might have to steal them.
But wait! There's more!

Er, no, there isn't. But I did a little thinking and came up with some actual, sort of, rules.

So the idea is to make combat less "stand still and we'll hack each other into pieces" and more "Woo! Let's chase each other all over the battlefield like crazed monkeys with edged weapons!"

In case you didn't know, I'm rooting for the monkeys. Crazed monkeys, yum.

This rule is an alteration to the existing combat rules. It is not a feat nor a combat action but a new result to existing actions (damage, actually). One can come up with feats that might come out of this new rule, however.

Knockback Effect (a damage effect)

Anytime a character is hit for damage by a melee weapon, that character moves five feet directly away from the character who just hit them. The attacker may if they choose move five feet to maintain the distance between them, but cannot otherwise take a move action. Both moves happen everytime a character is struck by a melee weapon for damage. These movements are considered free actions but draw attacks of opportunity as normal movement. The attacker's following move must come before any other action by the attacker, including additional attacks, five-foot steps, or move-equivalent actions.

Attacks of opportunity, if successful, likewise move the defender, but the attacker cannot in that case choose to follow. Attackers can only follow defenders on the attacker's action.

A defending character can attempt to stand firm in the face of their enemy's attack. A character can resist the Knockback Effect by making a melee attack roll against a DC of 10 + the damage dealt by the attack. If successful, the character remains in the square they were in and the attacker is unable to move forward.

If a character's movement would take them into a solid object, they do not move. Instead they suffer a -1 circumstance bonus to AC after taking a hit that deals damage until their next action. This penalty stacks. They can avoid this penalty by successfully resisting the Knockback Effect, as detailed above.

Expected results of the new rule:

-- People will end up chasing each other all over the battlefield.
-- Making a clean getaway now requires smacking them, driving them back so they no longer threaten you, and then running for it.
-- Flanking someone will really suck for them because if one attacker hits he drives the defender into the same square as the opposite attacker (thus giving that one an attack of opportunity which, if successful, smacks him right back into the middle -- flanked by people with sneak attack = dead very quickly).
-- Driving people into walls or corners will be an effective tactic. Being in a corner against someone who gets multiple attacks per round is quickly going to start sucking.
-- Trying to resist getting pushed off cliffs will be more common (I see drastic changes in Barsimian geography coming up).
-- Retreating into a mass of your buddies is a very smart idea (you can keep from getting hit multiple times if your opponent doesn't want to risk a bunch of AoO's).
-- Taking a five-foot step just to change the angle of attack will be a common tactic, in order to drive your opponent in a given direction.

Problems

-- What's the point of Bull Rush now? Actually, I have a bit of an answer -- with Bull Rush you don't have to do damage (so you could Bull Rush someone with damage resistance, who ought to be immune to Knockback) and you can push them back more than five feet if you happen to be strong like tractor. Or big.
-- Is it more record-keeping and dice-rolling? I kinda don't think so though a play-test or two is probably in order. You only roll dice in extraordinary circumstances (like when you're teetering on the edge of a cliff), which is maybe kind of a good thing (I imagine a certain degree of nail-biting at those rolls...).
-- It's important to keep in mind that this isn't really Knockback, right? You're not sending people flying -- they're just having to retreat in order to not get their heads cut off. Hence the resist roll is an attack roll and not an opposed Strength check -- you just have to keep your wits and your instincts sharp and you can stand firm.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Nice stuff.

If you wanted to limit the use of this rule, you could say that this only happens on a confirmed Critical.

I can think of a Feat: Hold 'em close. [General, Fighter]
Prereqs: Power Attack, Str 13+.
When you use this feat, you opponent doesn't move back after you hit them.

Or something like that.

Remove ads