• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Engaging Challenging Encounters

I put together this list of things to make encounters more interesting that just fight 5 monsters. There was an old forum post here on avoiding "the grind". I hope this is a good start to fixing that.

How do you encourage movement into a room instead of a fight in a doorway?

I put them all into a Word document.
http://files.meetup.com/47098/Complications - Dungeon article 1.docxhttp://files.meetup.com/47098/Complications - Dungeon article 1.docfiles.meetup.com/47098/Complications%20-...

24 complications for encounters (in no particular order)
1 skirmish rooms
2 moving hazard
3 spring up in back
4 run for something
5 dangerous hazard
6 usable attack object
7 hard to cross divider
8 split the party
9 boost area
10 change in elevation
11 control box
12 disable a trap
13 superior cover
14 pull/push
15 Forceful abduction
16 stop the destruction
17 spawning
18 innocent in danger/hostage
19 bait
20 don’t stand still
21 slowly worse
22 surprise
23 accomplish in time/in place
24 special movement feature

BobTheNob

First Post
I recently staged an encounter with 3 elites, but only one of them was substantial at a time and it rotated throughout the round for the entire encounter. Not THAT was interesting.

Fights in the doorway can be pretty cool sometimes!

Thanks for starting this thread, I was just looking at my upcoming encounter tommorrow and trying to figure out how to make it less of a chess-game where my peices move around and try to take out thier pieces on a flat battle map.

My options for this particular encounter so far are:
- Very crowded room with 'innocent' bystanders
- important NPCs that may need some protection
- Large oaken tables {the kind used for banquets} to stunt off of

I think three things are about the limit before it gets too messy.

As to the complications, I think there are a couple categories that motivate different reactions from the players. I prefer those items that encourage the player to have a meaningful choice between just whacking the bad guy and doing something unique {and hopefully memorable}

Goals:
- PCs have protect/destroy something
- PCs have a time limit and/or the NPCs are trying to delay them
- PCs have to move to a specific location/item

Terrain: {What the PCs should see immediately on the map}
- blocking terrain
- hazardous terrain
- changes in elevation
- restrictive terrain {rope bridge}
- moving terrain {river, barges, flying skids...}

Battlefield effects:
- cover/concealment {mist, fog, trees, etc}
- Boost/bane locations {blood rock, etc..}
- Hazards/Traps
- Moving Hazards/Traps

Troop effects:
- reserve forces
- special troops
- NPC role mix

Stunt Enablers:
- Position based attacks, pushing a pile of rocks over, etc
- Movement based attack enhancer {leap over an obstacle to gain combat advantage, etc..}
- Position based movement enhancers {swing on the chandelier, etc..}

The Twist: {saved for rare occasions}
- Unkillable by normal means, require skill challenge to defeat
- Negotiation possible, perhaps convert one or more of the bad guys
- Monster Generator/Portal

Each encounter should have at least 3 of the above, in addition to the critters of course!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
To force PCs into a room, I've found that terrain combined with ranged NPCs is a good answer.

If the NPCs fire at the PCs and stay in superior cover (and every other round, hide behind total cover), then the PCs often cannot fire back. The melee NPCs should just stay in total cover until the PCs come to engage them.

Another possibility is to attack the PCs from behind with reinforcements. Typically, it is the Defender standing in the doorway and blocking it. If the Defender stays at the doorway, the other PCs have to deal with the reinforcements without a Defender. If the Defender leaves the doorway, the NPCs in the original room can often move out of the room to engage.

Monsters with movement limiting effects are also doable. Pull one PC into the room and then Immobilize him. Then, have every NPC target that one PC. Focus fire works for NPCs just like it does for PCs. Sooner or later, the other PCs are almost forced to move in as well (except possibly for some ranged PCs).

renau1g

First Post
To force PCs into a room, I've found that terrain combined with ranged NPCs is a good answer.

If the NPCs fire at the PCs and stay in superior cover (and every other round, hide behind total cover), then the PCs often cannot fire back. The melee NPCs should just stay in total cover until the PCs come to engage them.

Especially if the enemies are outside of the range of a Light spell and the party forgets they are carrying Sunrods, granting CA for each round ;)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Especially if the enemies are outside of the range of a Light spell and the party forgets they are carrying Sunrods, granting CA for each round ;)

I cannot help if it NONE of my players knew the radius of a Sunrod. ;)

Large dark rooms rock. Ones with traps and unusual terrain rock even more.

Remove ads