• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making magic different (flavor)

Tauric

First Post
In my homebrew world that I am creating, I want to give sorcerers, bards, and clerics distinctive ways of casting (I am not having the wizard class in my campaign).

I was thinking of making sorcery a tattoo based magic. Each spell is tattooed on the body, and to cast the spell the sorc must touch the tat, making somantic components mandatory (but no material components neccessary). This would explain why sorcerers can't wear armor (or much clothing at all). I was wondering if I should limit this kind of magic to certain spells, such as those with target: personal, etc, or leave it all inclusive.

For clerics, I was thinking of making all spells require small slips of paper with prayers on them which must be make contact with the target, possibly requiring a ranged touch attack (unless cast on a willing target, in which case the cleric just places the paper on the target).

For bards, I think having all spells require verbal components is distinctive enough.

I realize that of these, only the cleric changes will have the most game effect, mechanically, because if means the cleric now needs a good Dex, in addition to Wis and Cha, at least if they want their attacks to be successful. If anyone has any way to give the bard and sorcerer a similar handicap I would welcome it. (I want a handicap to keep magic from being too easy). I am also thinking of changing spell lists, but that is a topic for another thread.

I admit I haven't thought all these things out yet, I just came up with them while walking my dog tonight. I might decide not to use them at all, especially if you people think of flaws I haven't. Some of the ideas are based on the Death Gate Cycle (the tattoo magic), while the cleric stuff is from anime/manga.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
If you do this, (to make casting more difficult) you'll end up with either a LOT less casters, or more casters taking levels of fighter to increase their BAB so their spells hit more often.

Tauric

First Post
Neither of which is a bad thing, for me. I'm uncomfortable with the magic level of DnD, but have had bad luck trying to tone it down. I'm thinking that if I just make the same spells available, but a bit more (more not greatly so) difficult to cast, then my players won't rely on magic so much.

I also thought that these kinds of changes would be easier to implement than making magic based on skills, etc.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
It greatly changes the overall balance of the game.
Its not just casting spells.
Its creating new ones, creating magic items, and so forth.

If you want low magic, thats ok, its your game. I just hope your players want that too.
I sure wouldnt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads