• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Monsters Without the Monster Builder?

Tensen01

Explorer
Okay, so I'm wanting to make some NPCs and monsters but do not have access to the Monster Builder. Are there any instructions on just how to do this? I've looked through the MMs and DMGs but unless I've missed something they only tell you the aspects of them, not actual instructions on how to make them.

I'd like to make some new "Monsters" for some of the PC races that don't have that many so I can have some variety.

Would I just use the Character Builder for these and the NPCs? I'm only worried because the character builder doesn't deal with "artillery" and "skirmisher" and "minion" and things like that.

malraux

First Post
Okay, so I'm wanting to make some NPCs and monsters but do not have access to the Monster Builder. Are there any instructions on just how to do this? I've looked through the MMs and DMGs but unless I've missed something they only tell you the aspects of them, not actual instructions on how to make them.

I'd like to make some new "Monsters" for some of the PC races that don't have that many so I can have some variety.

Would I just use the Character Builder for these and the NPCs? I'm only worried because the character builder doesn't deal with "artillery" and "skirmisher" and "minion" and things like that.

The DMG1 has the rules for monster creation, while DMG2 has the rules for minions and traps.

That said, you should also download the DMG update as it changes the rules somewhat.

Using the Character builder is not a good idea. Characters have far too much complexity relative to monsters.

ourchair

First Post
In most cases of this nature (monster building, npc building, encounter budget) most aspects are covered in the chapter entitled "DM Toolbox."

Some of the rules are outdated, errataed or obsolete, but that's beside the point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads