• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making places interesting/unique - DMing

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Try running big cities like wildernesses, not dungeon crawls. Draw up a number of random encounters that tie into the locale. Only things fun and interesting of course. Then draw a master DM map with a number of important locations all marked. Dont make it complete and don't let your players see it, but make sure you tell them they easily get lost if going more than 2-3 blocks away from where they know. And then let them explore. Have enough stuff on hand for at least 2-3 sessions in the city and then add more as necessary.

And absolutely tie in with everything else going on around it. Really big cities have really big spheres of influence. So things from far away are typically only seen within cities vs. out in the countryside.

Jurble

First Post
I guess this comes to one of the cruxes of my "need to learn this to be a good GM" areas.

For this sort of style of play, id design a handfull of shops/bars/establishments they could find, plus have an encounter table with a bunch of random encounters they could run into right?

So they when it comes to running it, do I absolultely need a physical map to show them (even if places arnt marked until they find them?) and how does getting lost matter? In terms of running the game if i say "you are now lost" what is different to walking around a map where ive only put markers for places they know?

Also whats enough for 2-3 sessions in the city?

The influences part is alot easier, im good with that sorta thing, just abit confused about the other stuff but really interested in learning abit deeper what you mean :)

thanks!

Day

Jurble

First Post
any suggestions for this would be amazing. I think its the real crux of what im not sure about with GMing big areas :) Suggestions/advice would be a really big help. Got my next session tomorrow!

thanks a ton everyone :)

Maps, even sketchy ones with few details, help to solidify your city for you and your players. So yes, give them maps.

As far as accents go, one way to set some up is to listen to all the accents out there in the world. Pick a couple of them to represent areas of the city. Have you ever been to a Chinatown in one of the larger cities of North America? There are so many large and small cultural differences if you visit. Listen for the accents.

Another useful trick is to listen to the mannerisms of friends and co-workers. Pick someone distinctive to model the speech pattern of an NPC upon. Then throw in a bit of an accent but swallowing an unusual syllable or elongating something. (Example: The NPC says "hard" with a very long 'a', so it's more like "haaard".)

You should be fine with a list of between 3 and 6 bars and a couple other major places (like shopping that they will want to do - arms merchants?), plus people to meet on the street. If there is security in this city, a patrol might come down the street and interrupt the PCs to chat with someone they are buying from. Then they go on their way. Perhaps someone tries to hawk something on a street corner, or get them into a game of three-card monte.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I guess this comes to one of the cruxes of my "need to learn this to be a good GM" areas.

For this sort of style of play, id design a handfull of shops/bars/establishments they could find, plus have an encounter table with a bunch of random encounters they could run into right?
Well, yes and no. In a big city, not a small town, I'd have a number of maps ready to go to handle basic businesses and residences. Although, mapping out things like this is almost never needed. Better to have a few things like Shopping Lists, graded Innkeeper prices, business names, and other basic activities PCs do in a city on hand and then extrapolate from there during play.

The sites I was thinking about would be actual adventure locations and a number of basic important locations to any city. Think site seeing lists when you visit a real city. Include prisons and cultural systems like police in with those. Even though players may not be interested in them, their PCs may end up having dealings with them.

So they when it comes to running it, do I absolultely need a physical map to show them (even if places arnt marked until they find them?) and how does getting lost matter? In terms of running the game if i say "you are now lost" what is different to walking around a map where ive only put markers for places they know?
D&D used to have a system for handling the exploration of new areas. Now it's just a skill roll. The map is for you, the DM, not the players. They make their own map as they travel around on yours. At some point they may think to buy one with $$. What is listed on their map are strictly site seeing locations and "districts" (though you may suggest they add their own notes). Think site seeing brochure maps. DO NOT make or give them a modern map. It will make your job 1000 times more difficult and may make you think you need 1000 sites prepared. You don't.

Also whats enough for 2-3 sessions in the city?
I believe in designing plots for my NPCs, not PCs. So put in enough intrigue and adventure to keep the Players/PCs active for at least 2-3 sessions. That means adventure location maps, NPCs, magic items, monsters, etc. (think adventure module) and major NPC goals, strategies, and tactics. As the PCs stay in the area (and look like they will be staying) continue growing the city's features and number of adventure areas (keep dropping in modules) Modify and flesh out each to fit in the city/world and then continually track what has happened as the PCs interact with the adventures. PCs could hardly learn of every intrigue in a few sessions, so 2-3 is usually enough for 2-3 sessions. Also stop when the PCs stop exploring/adventuring within or when you reach a plausible limit for what the city can accommodate. But that's rare.

And just because you reach that 2nd limit doesn't mean adventuring is done in a city. Adventure sites always change, cities and wildernesses the same as cleared out dungeons. Take the initial seed adventure creations and let them keep blossoming via ongoing consequences. What did they miss? Who moved in now? What are their plans? Who heard of these places and are taking action on them? Nature abhors a vacuum. Slow or fast these sites will change over time.

The influences part is alot easier, im good with that sorta thing, just abit confused about the other stuff but really interested in learning abit deeper what you mean :)

thanks!

Day
If you have any more questions about my posts, I'll come back and check this thread for you. I'm typically not on RPG boards of late.

Last edited:

exile

First Post
Jurble,

I was nearing the end of a lengthy post when enworld and/or my computer ate it. I guess I'll save that lengthy discourse for another time.

If you do not have it, buy a copy of "Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons." Your thread prompted me to take my copy down off the shelf. I read through the entry on Nal Hutta and Nar Shaddar and it generated ideas for more than a dozen encounters. Admittedly, all of those ideas would take some time to flesh out, but that strikes me as what you are looking for.

Chad

JoeGKushner

First Post
Beggars

Thieves

City Guards

Mercenaries

Merchants

Making these things unique and individual to each city will help give each city more of a feel.

Perhaps in some cities the guards are the elite of the elite and in others, they are more like rogue takers.

Perhaps in some, there are no thieves guilds and the law is taken on a case by case basis and in others, the thieves run the city.

Perhaps in some, merchant guilds have a powerful influence on the whole of the city and make things difficult for those who don't want to work for them. Perhaps the city is lacking in merchants and they go about in markets to hawk their wares.

Jurble

First Post
So im imagingin how id run a session entirely in a city and heres what ive got.

*description of the city as you enter it, using some specifics , sites smells, local dress, style of the area you enter (ie business district) and the general layout of streets in the area so they know how to move furthe rinto the city*

-let them ask about businesses they see, or if they cant see them, do gather info checks to find the location of other well known businesses further into the city (or in star wars, hit a computer terminal for info)

- if this lets them see a map, show it, or it might describe various districts of the city, major features they havnt spotted by eye (sure theres the eiffel tower, but theres also the louvre which you cant see so easily just walking into the city)

-have a bunch of random encounters of various sorts ready to hit them with at random times, including plot hooks

- continue describing areas as they enter them (ie moving from one district to another)

Any other major elements im missing?

thanks so much for the help everyone, this is much appreciated! :)

Day

howandwhy99

Adventurer
So im imagingin how id run a session entirely in a city and heres what ive got.

*description of the city as you enter it, using some specifics , sites smells, local dress, style of the area you enter (ie business district) and the general layout of streets in the area so they know how to move furthe rinto the city*

-let them ask about businesses they see, or if they cant see them, do gather info checks to find the location of other well known businesses further into the city (or in star wars, hit a computer terminal for info)

- if this lets them see a map, show it, or it might describe various districts of the city, major features they havnt spotted by eye (sure theres the eiffel tower, but theres also the louvre which you cant see so easily just walking into the city)

-have a bunch of random encounters of various sorts ready to hit them with at random times, including plot hooks

- continue describing areas as they enter them (ie moving from one district to another)

Any other major elements im missing?

thanks so much for the help everyone, this is much appreciated! :)

Day
I think you've got it.

Gather Info is basically just asking people about what's in the city, whether strangers or friends. You can roll or role-play it out. Either way works. I prefer letting the players' actions determine how deep things get.

I should apologize for not realizing you were playing Star Wars and were interested in a system to run Coruscant, a futuristic city and a city-planet at that. What I was posting about is a method to GM non-modern cities like in D&D. Modern and futuristic settings are based upon different principles so exploration like I mentioned is rarely necessary. It would be more of a back up method in case your players' PCs lost their modern tech devices.

In a modern or futuristic urban environment, areas tend to be accurately and prominently displayed along a massive mass transit system, have mass public transportation as well, and include multiple navigational resources for travelers to move about within the city.

Imagine a hand-held device tracking you by satellite, that could give you continuous satellite and local camera video feed of yourself and most other places, numerous types of map details, explanations of all legitimate businesses and residences around you, and could even determine multiple means for finding and traveling to whatever and wherever you want to go. Most of the that many citizens already have in industrialized countries today.

Modern and futuristic worlds simply aren't about exploration so much. They are about working jobs and fulfilling tasks you have been assigned to be functional in those societies. That may not hold true in every individual case, but these worlds themselves aren't so much natural constructions, but the tech the people have made out of the world. In other words, the fun part of exploring those places is exploring the technology. It can't be avoided. Defining the technology will be defining the possibilities to explore in that world. So once you have the impacting technology you will know how your players' characters will be interacting with that world's content.

That's not to say much of the other advice doesn't relate to running a game in a place like Coruscant. It's more that a GM cannot accurately represent such a massive amount of complexity and still give the Players the immediate interactivity a character would experience in such a setting. Computer games have the same limitation. How many 10,000s of species would be on Coruscant under "restaurant type". Could you imagine programmers developing every single one? Talk about improbable.

My own self, I'd look at patterns and descriptions of what is in, say, a billion specie-person quadrant and relay what makes such a place unique. The amount of differentiation in such a place almost seems implausible as a controlled collection of living things. I'd put severe conforming policies in place just for plausibility's sake. Your own opinion may differ on this, but massive complexities don't tend to be governable without greater degrees of enforced conformity. You might choose the flipside and go with lawlessness and explain it all like you might the Great Barrier Reef: a mass of intricate inter-relations, but no control for anyone to have power of any of it. Again, a lot of this is personal belief and preferences. It's hard to say how such a future could actually work.

I'd almost make bigger, more populace places less unique by simplifying them all into locations that partake in every single form of technology you've determined and include the results of all such technology as similar throughout. Perhaps only change the enforced culture slightly between places. In truth, the backwaters and homeworlds would have greater cultural uniqueness and then would need more fleshing out when visited. For gaming, treat these as unique locations with variations of accessible and culture determining technologies. Other vast alien empires in conflict with "the Empire" would almost have to qualify as utterly different Settings. Perhaps with only a little bit of tech overlap. Star Wars is simply not the most plausible futuristic setting, so you may just want to take whatever it has been published for it, present that, and extrapolate from those works.

Rereading the above, I hope I'm offering some help here. Unimaginably massive complexities have a problem with realism as they are predicting a form of collective living that has never existed. Better thought out futures should be more enjoyable to adventure within, but inconsistencies will inevitably creep up no matter which you use - if only because the settings are so far from real world analogues these inconsistencies were never removed through actualization. My only suggestion is: if such a thing comes up, try and make it a culture changing occurrence. Or just gloss over it, plenty of sci-fi does already.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Here is a little chart I did to generate ideas for myself. If you like randomness as much as me then this will be a good start.

NB: This was for dnd 3.5. I haven't updated my whole realms rules to 4E. (I have a heap of charts for generating any 'realm' from hamlet to forest, empire, etc). I love writing DM Tools.

Anyway, hope it helps. God thread ;)
C

Attachments

• 3rd GM Tool for d20zine - Community Traits.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 70

Remove ads