• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Rituals Permanent by Spending Healing Surges for a Year

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Several rituals have been published that allow the caster to make their effects permanent by spending a healing surge every day for a year. This seems like a really tedious and clumsy way to handle permanency. I certainly don't want to keep track of that for an entire year! I'd much rather pay exp like the old days (even though 4e has gotten rid of exp costs).

It's also strange that there is no way to dispel a ritual. So once a ritual is made permanent, unless it offers a way to counter it, there is no way to dispel it, ever.

Am I the only one bothered by these things?

Flipguarder

First Post
no you aren't.

However, I am more ok with healing surge loss than xp loss, because you can get back xp. This ensures that a party doesn't just all spend lots of xp and then get it all back. There is a clear trade off imo that xp doesnt equate to.

Kaladhan

First Post
Can you cite reference of rituals that does permanency this way?

From what you see, it is a clunky way of handling it. Personally, I would simply up the cost to make the ritual permanent, or perhaps put a higher skill DC.

Tremorsense

First Post

The first one I remember seeing is Create Teleportation Circle from the Manual of the Planes. Another is Guards and Wards from Arcane power, which can be seen freely at: Arcane Power Excerpts: Rituals

I like the mechanic. I think it's simple to keep track of and since anyone who aids in the ritual can pay the cost, it gives the fighter with 16 surges a way to contribute nicely.

On Puget Sound

First Post
It also makes a great plot device for evil cultists, providing a mechanic for them to suck the vitality from their faithful and deluded worshipers or unsuspecting victims (most of whom only have one healing surge) to fuel their rituals.

"Everyone in the town seems weak and sickly, as if old before their time."

Falling Icicle

Adventurer

From what you see, it is a clunky way of handling it. Personally, I would simply up the cost to make the ritual permanent, or perhaps put a higher skill DC.

In Dragon 366 they had quite a few new rituals, and the Safeguard, Teleport Catcher and Voicecatcher Veil rituals used the "spend a healing surge every day for a year to make it permanent" mechanic. Interestingly, the Arcane Barrier ritual in that same magazine worked differently. You only had to spend 4 times the ritual's normal cost to make it permanent.

In Arcane Power, we see this mechanic again in the Guards and Wards ritual and the reprinting of Arcane Barrier.

So if the "pay 4x normal cost to make permanent" mechanic works for Arcane Barrier, why not use that for all rituals with the permanent option instead of the pay a healing surge every day for a year crap?

balard

Explorer
I like the HS cost. Make magic feels personal and exhausting in the long run. When you could just make a high check or spend more money, takes the whole "sapping my life away" thing.

Tenniel

First Post
It's also strange that there is no way to dispel a ritual. So once a ritual is made permanent, unless it offers a way to counter it, there is no way to dispel it, ever.

That's where the DM (the lord and master of game and never a slave to the mechanics) comes in. The evil cultists have set up permanent ritutals at heir secret hideout, the DM designs a skill challenge for the PCs to overcome the devices and infiltrate their base of operations. Fun.

Perception checks to see a slight flaw to exploit in the magic circle. Acrobatics to Laura Croft your way through the area of effect. History to get background on the use of these devices and how they were overcome in the past. Arcana to recall the secret word to disable it.

I used a similar set up for a break the "magic circle (no doubt a permanent ritual) to retrieve the warded item (magic sword)" skill challenge after the players got through the first encounters to set them up for the final show-down to ge them to 2nd level.

Starfox

Hero
I also like the "one healing surge a day for a year" mechanic. In a sandbox campaign, time usually passes in much larger amounts, and this gives ritual casters some nice long-term projects to mind. In a bash-the-door campaign, this puts the effect out of player hands, and players really don't need in in such a campaign anyway. (The whole campaign might be less than a year long; I'm playing Rise of the Runelords now, and that's written to take 6 months to epic levels.)

Several rituals have been published that allow the caster to make their effects permanent by spending a healing surge every day for a year. This seems like a really tedious and clumsy way to handle permanency. I certainly don't want to keep track of that for an entire year! I'd much rather pay exp like the old days (even though 4e has gotten rid of exp costs).

Am I the only one bothered by these things?
Don't track it. Just subtract a healing surge from your total healing surges and occassionaly ask the DM if a year has passed. ;)

On dispelling - it might be there is no generic way to facilitate that every kind of ritual is unique. If you want to break it, it might require its own ritual, components, skill challenges or similar things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads