• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making the Melee Cleric

lamproswc

First Post
So, I've heard Clerics can be badass meleeists. That kind of surprises me. How do I go about doing it? What feats do I need, and what spells should I memorize?

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

lottrbacchus

First Post
choose 'war' as one of your two domains and make sure the god has a cool favored weapon. this way you get weapon focus for free.

while your dm is busy, or better- drunk- see if you can slip exotic weapon prof- bastard sword in for free.

Rhun

First Post
hong said:
Divine favor + divine power + righteous might should be enough to get you started.

That is the combo that would get you started. Once you can cast those three spells, watch out!

I'd also try to find a god with the War domain and a two-handed favorite weapon like the greatsword or such, though I do not believe there is a 'core' choice for that. I mention this, because if your DM is strict and you have a sword & board style cleric, you'll have to put your weapon away to cast your spells. A two-handed weapon would allow you to cast spells/turn undead/etc while still holding your weapon, and you could go back to attacking the next round.

Grab Extra Turning and then pick up Divine Vigor. That is a great feat for the heavily armored melee cleric, as it boosts your speed and provides you with bonus hit points.

schporto

First Post
I think the other 'trick' is that unlike a casting cleric - you need to only have a wisdom high enough to cast your highest spell. You focus only on casting buffing, healing and _maybe_ summoning for the melee benefits. Spells that attack the bad guy are not what your after. So, when I have made a 7th level cleric he took strength as a domain, and his highest stat was strength, then wis, then con. He dealt a good amount of damage when he had the opportunity.
-cpd

Amitiel

First Post
If your allowed Complete Divine:
Domain Spontaneity: You may convert any divine spell to one of your domain spells
Glorius Weapons: Expend Turn attempt to give alignment discriptor (Good or Evil depending on which you channel) to yours and allies weapons within 60ft, as a standard action.

Useful spells from CD for warcleric:
3rd: Flame of Faith, temporarily grants weapon flaming burst
Lesser Visage of the Deity, +4 Cha, Resist Acid, cold, electricity 10 (if good) or cold, fire (if evil)
4th, Weapon of the deity, must be using your deity's favored weapon, it gains bonus and spesial abilities based on deity you serve (example:pelor favored weapon Heavy Mace, effect becomes +1 flaming Heavy Mace (if weapon has more than +1 bonus it keeps it.)

5th, Divine Agility, improve reflex save, dex, and gives you Spring attack feat
Stalwart Pact, gain combat bonus when reduced to half hp

schporto said:
I think the other 'trick' is that unlike a casting cleric - you need to only have a wisdom high enough to cast your highest spell. You focus only on casting buffing, healing and _maybe_ summoning for the melee benefits. Spells that attack the bad guy are not what your after. So, when I have made a 7th level cleric he took strength as a domain, and his highest stat was strength, then wis, then con. He dealt a good amount of damage when he had the opportunity.
-cpd
I've seen a successful "hybrid" cleric done, actually. Highest Wis, 2nd Strength/Con, pretty much like any "generic" cleric.

A "hybrid" cleric can mix-n-match; use melee against some opponents and spells against others. (Destruction and True Seeing are handy spells when attacked by Invisible Flying mages. Clerics can't cast Fly, or at least most of them can't.)

Remove ads