• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Making themed Random Encounter Tables in 4e

Badwe

First Post
Hello all,

I've played D&D casually for as far back as AD&D, getting most of my playing in during 3.x, and finally cut my DMing teeth in 4e. My latest task has been to create more modular and simple storylines peppered throughout the world. To essentially "glue" them together I want to make random encounter tables.

The rub to this is that I don't want to merely make tables for whatever the party's level is, I'd also like to make vaguely themed ones. The problem is I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the kinds of monster you can find in certain ecologies. To this end, I'd like the help of you ENWorlders for keywords and categories I can use in the 4e compendium to create environmental encounter tables.

For example, to make an underdark encounter table I might use the categories Drow, Mind Flayer, Troglodyte and use the keywords spider and earth.

I'd like to start with basic environments like Forest, Mountains, Hills/Plains, Desert, etc. and eventually move on to elemental encounter tables like Fire, Ice, Plant, Astral, etc.

I'll do my best to edit this first post to include any information I end up using, and If I finish an encounter table I'll upload it and post it.

Gloomshroud

First Post
I don't mean to necro this thread, but the link posted above is broken. Anyone else have a similar link - or the same link? This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

I've been going through the same issue lately- I want some random tables to help with procedural generation for some of my dungeon projects, and as we speak I am casually hunting around for some examples of encounters in the feywild along a rover, swampy morass, and primeval forest type places..

The compendium is good but a table is fun for kick-starting an idea.

Gloomshroud

First Post
I've been going through the same issue lately- I want some random tables to help with procedural generation for some of my dungeon projects, and as we speak I am casually hunting around for some examples of encounters in the feywild along a rover, swampy morass, and primeval forest type places..

The compendium is good but a table is fun for kick-starting an idea.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Remove ads