• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making Weapons of Legacy work

ffanxii4ever

First Post
For an upcoming campaign that I am running I'd like to give out Weapons (or other appropriate items) of Legacy and as I've been browsing the internet for ideas, I came across the common criticisms of the Weapons of Legacy, and I do say that I agree with them, but I was curious if anyone has come across a way of making them work or have come up with their own way to make them work.

Thanks.

Runestar

First Post
The penalties have to go, for one, since they end up making you weaker than an equivalent PC who uses a normal magical weapon. If you want to dual-wield them, forget it, you are pretty much screwed.

FEADIN

Explorer
I think it's a bad idea to give penalties, since 1st edition I've always loved to make "artifacts" or powerful object leveling with the owner, like an intelligent weapon but with powers only comming when you reach a specific treshold, like qualifying for a prestige class:).

ffanxii4ever

First Post
From everything I've read on Weapons of Legacy so far, I am definitely getting rid any penalties, as I want my players to hold on to these items until the very end. I should probably also work with them to make sure that they are useful to them, no?

Runestar

First Post
One alternative may be to run them like the kensai's signature weapon, and let the player burn xp to upgrade the weapon with magical enhancements. This should at least make them indifferent between holding on to the existing weapon and trading it in for a newer one (since they can control what properties they want).

Jhaelen

First Post
I've made extensive use of Weapons of Legacy in my campaign.

First thing I do is calculate the items's gp cost. Then I assign ritual costs as if the item was created by the pc, shifting most of the gp cost on a 5 by 1 ratio to xp. E.g. a typical WoL Least Ritual will cost about 1000 gp and 2000 xp. I completely ignore the penalty tables.

This has worked very well.

frankthedm

First Post
Removing the options for purchase & creation of book standard magic items if you have bean counters picking apart the numbers at your table.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/269815-experiences-weapons-legacy.html

Jeff Wilder said:
From what I've been able to tell, the main beef against Weapons of Legacy is that the rules actually expect you to pay meaningful penalties for weapon powers that are far, far beyond what you'd normally get for the same amount of gold.

People would have been fine, for instance, if the penalties for a weapon's combat powers were things like "-2 on Diplomacy checks," because for the vast majority of melee-oriented PCs, "-2 on Diplomacy checks" is meaningless. On the other hand, "-4 HP" or "-1 to all attacks" is a trade-off that isn't a no-brainer.

In other words, weapons of legacy, by the book, were balanced, and that's not what people -- me, included, at first -- expected. As such, using them is mostly a matter of whether the DM and the players want the flavor of a weapon that grows in power with the character.

Can DMs and players work out another way of doing a similar idea, without the inherent balance of meaningful game-mechanical penalties? Of course, and in many games that will be a superior way to do things. But if you want weapons of legacy that are game-mechanically balanced, and already created for you (including rules for making your own), Weapons of Legacy is a fine book.

FWIW, my DM gave a PC a weapon of legacy (a longbow) and vastly nerfed the penalties, and the weapon is far, far more powerful than anything the rest of us have. (Including my cleric's self-crafted hammer, a relic of Moradin.) If the player weren't hopelessly inept at both optimization and tactics, the longbow would be extremely unbalancing. (The player's ineptitude might be why the DM was so lenient, but the DM's another one who doesn't like the legacy penalties, so I dunno.)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/161902-weapons-legacy-opinions.html

DumbPaladin

First Post
I think the basic ideas can be great to start with. My paladin uses Durindana (sp?), and has so far not suffered any penalties. My DM advanced the progression of abilities the sword picks up: it's a +2 holy longsword right now despite my being only level 11, but it has already manifested some of the advanced abilities that come after level 11. My weapon's proven useful, but not gamebreaking.

ffanxii4ever

First Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do (those links are particularly helpful).

Once again, EN World has come through for me! Yay!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads