Making your own power cards

erf_beto

First Post
Mercutio01 said:
A few more icons for damage types. I'm open to feedback (if anyone really cares about my designs). I've created my own style files for MSE and updated my particular card style to work. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share.

The icons are for Cold, Poison, Psychic, and Thunder.
I like dmg icons, love the idea (I'll use them, for sure), but I think maybe there's just too many icons for power cards (attack types, action types and damage types). These are prety straightforward, but I think maybe we should consider when and where will they be used before anything. Don't take this as criticism, I'm just not seeing where they'll all fit together on power cards. Some powers might cause different damage types, so they probably have to be cramed into the text, wich will hurt visibility. For that, you could make a black on white version, for scaling purposes, and reserve the greyscale ones you've shown for other places. I for one think they will come prety handy once I start making monster cards with a DDM template: resistences and vulnerabilities will look very nice with these damage icons!

As for suggestions, I think the poison, psychic and thunder need replacements. For the poison, I think you could use a snake or a fang driping poison. I would suggest that radiation warning sign, but this is fantasy and should be more fantasy-related. For the psychic, go with Pokemon: the picture of an eye, like the egyptian Eye of Horus glyph. Thunder is tough, I can't see anything really... perhaps something more like a supersonic scream/wave:

)))))
(although, this actualy look like a cel phone signal reception :p)

But I'm curious: how would the Force icon look like?

tintagel

Explorer
Hey, no problem, Meandog.

Fonts: I updated the Tintagel_themes_base.zip file to include my fonts. Just copy those fonts into your Windows\fonts folder.

GAME File: Yeah, many different game files will prove to be a problem. I think the easiest way to solve this is to simply make mine a different set altogether. So, I've renamed my set to D&D_Tint. I am re-uploading my files to the site right after I hit this post, so look for them in a few minutes.

Symbols: Action symbols are done via specific keys. If you hover over the field, look at the bottom of the window and it should give you hints. Basically, S = standard, M = move, m = minor, and I = immediate. Combine that with a color (R or G) to get a colored icon. So RS = Red standard, RM = Red move, Rm = Red Minor, etc...

Symbols for the Attack icons work in a similar way. See the tooltips for specifics. However, to get the basic attacks, use 1 or 2 (gives basic melee and basic ranged), and x gives a melee/range combo.

MSE Files: Once you get the themes and fonts installed, you should be able to double-click the MSE files. Granted, I have never tried to use them on another computer, so ...

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

tintagel

Explorer
Ok, my files are finally fixed. Have to redo the MSE sets, but I should have those up soon. My themes are in their own Game, called D&D_Tint. That should reduce any confusion or conflicts.

Oh, and I have uploaded my PSD file if anyone wants to hack it.

P.S.: Quindia, Trolls, anyone else... if you want a place to host all this stuff - feel free. I created this in response to a few peeps saying we needed to consolidate all of our efforts into one location!

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
Great work, tintagel!
I like your cards most of all. Can I make some ajustments to MSE files? Namely change the font to the one with cyrillic chars enabled?
And kudos for nature & marble! Could blank theme be added? I'd like to make some BW blank cards for items found, so I can write on them during the game. Thank you again.

tintagel

Explorer
I just changed the title font to Morpheus, so re-download them if you want.

Feel free to change my templates all you want. My PSD file is in the file section, so you can export your own blank ones if you like. I might have time later today to do that if you haven't by then.

Changing the font isn't too hard. Just go into the Style file (in each theme independently) and find the field name - there is a Font entry - just change it to the desired font.

meandog

First Post
tintagel

I just down loaded your Base zip and tried the fonts and the symbols works great. I down loaded the nature and marble v6. files, do i just put them in the old D&D-tint-nature.mse-style and marble folders.

Now you will have to train me on adding images to the cards :D

I played a testgame (raiders-of-oakhurst) yesterday at the local game shop. I played the wizard, we did not have cards but they would have made the playing alot easier, i am excited to try them out next time.

Thanks again for the help

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
tintagel,

In your template rules text is aligned to the bottom of the box and flavor text - to the top. Could it be fixed somehow? Just tell me where to look - I'll do it myself. Because the way it is now it sometime gives odd-looking results. Especially when the power has small text - which is often the case.

Thank you.

tintagel

Explorer
Yeah, that seems to be a bug with the MSE - the Full Text template for Magic had that same problem. If I set the alignment to Top, then you completely lose the main stat block - you only get the flavor text section. The only way I found to make both clearly visible is to set the alignment to Middle, which produces the results you are experiencing.

HOWEVER, the work-around isn't too bad. Just enter down a few lines in either section until your text rises to the top. Sometimes those breaks are lost unless you have something in the last empty line - like spaces. So use those, heh.

Really not too bad for the flexibility of having Stat Block & Flavor Text share the same potential space...

meandog

First Post
tintagel

The new mse file D&D_Tint.mse-game works well but only the parchment template works the nature and marble only show up in the old D&D set. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Remove ads